Spoken Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference

22 September 2021


Alan_, Dee, IrfanA, janina, JF, PaulG, Sam, SteveNoble_

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

TPAC and other conference

IrfanA: do we need to talk to ARIAWG?

janina: not sure we have a specific topic to discuss.

IrfanA: we should discuss how to expose information to the accessibility apis.

janina: it's certainly a technical problem we need to solve. Without it, we can't succeed.

janina: we need to find out who, other than Joanie, needs to be in the room.

janina: we've identified the gap but I'm not sure how to structure that agenda to make progress.

IrfanA: (to Mark) this is about having a discussion with ARIAWG or just Joanie about exposing pronunciation to the accessibility APIs. Is this something to discuss at TPAC and who else needs to be in the room.

mhakkinen: Joanie's last comment was about waiting to hear from the browser vendors. Will AIRAWG have that audience?

janina: some browser vendors are represented in ARIAWG

janina: do we have feedback from Doug Joffery?

mhakkinen: no.

janina: maybe we could invite him to a TPAC session

janina: I'll take on trying to get that going at TPAC

janina: we're on the joint agenda for APA + EPUB

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2021

janina: is there anything in particular we want to accomplish with EPUB?

IrfanA: Oct 4 all pre-recorded presentations become available for the meeting participants

IrfanA: do we want to push for a meeting with ARIA

janina: it's a good time to ask the question

Based on Leone's earlier comments and analogous to the way browsers work with accessible-name calculations, I don't think we're going to use aria-* to move spoken presentation information into the axTree.


Github Issues and post TPAC

IrfanA: no new issues in github

janina: we're passed the comment period. If we want to close some of these issues we can do that.

IrfanA: Paul and I will review the open issues and try to clean them up.

Roy: I'll publish the update this week

I'll add the i18n information to the editor's draft after that.

Action: Irfan to review GitHub issues

<trackbot> Created ACTION-35 - Review github issues [on Irfan Ali - due 2021-09-29].

Other Business

<janina> TPAC Registration is open:

<janina> https://www.w3.org/2021/10/TPAC/

Dee: we have this presentation coming up for IMS Global

mhakkinen: Dee and I are already registered, I think you are too Irfan

Dee: Oct 6

janina: as a reminder, everyone needs to register for TPAC

Summary of action items

  1. Irfan to review GitHub issues
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Maybe present: mhakkinen, Roy