Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

28 July 2021


janina, jasonjgw, Joshue, Joshue108, Judy, Raja, scott_h, SteveNoble, Ted
janina, Joshue108

Meeting minutes

XR Accessibility User Requirements: issues and publication request.

JW: Josh has published a commit URI to consider for publication by APA


JW: APA will produce a Call For Consensus

The question is if there are reasons to not publish.

JS: To clarify, the request would be to publish this as a W3C note.

<Gives overview on what this means>

JW: Any concerns?

<Raja> No concerns

SH: I saw the email - had a look - 2 years in the making and good to go.

JW: Thanks for that

JB: Checks the acknowedgements.

<Gives overview on recent contribs>

JOC: Yes, I updated contributors list

JS: Anyone need more time?

JW: I've been through it in detail.

JS: We can still accept editorial comments.

These are not substantive.

If we are confident then this group should log a formal resolution

JS: Everyone here can vote on the CFC on the APA admin list

The CFC will go out today and last ~ a week

JW: Have heard no requests for review etc

Resolution: RQTF requests APA issues a CFC to publish XAUR http://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/458e82b2ce737120d774dc3f2f1d26fec070415f/xaur/index.html as a W3C NOTE

JS: Now please vote!

When you get the email from APA admin, give it a plus one and send.

<Raja> Ok

JW: Janina will write the CFC today

JW: This is ready for APA review and consideration after much work.

Thanks to all who contributed in various ways.

All the better and stronger for it.

As XR has a growing role.

JS: Regarding messaging Josh?

JOC: Yes, happy to say it is.

Planning on forthcoming publications

jgw: Asks Josh to provide us an overview ...

Joshue108: So, XAUR is now moving to CfC

Joshue108: remaining is NAUR and MAUR

Joshue108: Want's some sense of our expectations for the remainder of the calendar year

Joshue108: In part it's important for my funding to get NAUR finished

Joshue108: acknowledges the emergent SAUR

<Joshue108> JW: March for the NAUR sounds good

<Joshue108> I can contribute

<Joshue108> The current version reflects most of the requirements I'm aware of.

<Joshue108> Solid draft

jgw: Can devote my employer's time, ETS is interested in this moving forward

<Joshue108> That could be taken to FPWD after issues.

<Joshue108> JS: I've looked at the SAUR in detail this morning, I'm happy with it.

<Joshue108> Some nits, and one substantive thing around synchronising verbiage on glossary

<Joshue108> This may be an issue - audio vs video description

<Joshue108> I think this could go out in August

<Joshue108> So we could be done with comments via TPAC

<Joshue108> Steve had some placeholders that were to be filled in.

<Joshue108> Not a barrier but should be addressed

<Joshue108> JS: I didn't see that.

<Joshue108> SN: The only place left where there was a section to add, was at the end in the XR section

<Joshue108> Needs some review to see research on XR synchonisation

<Joshue108> JS: We can do to FPWD without that.

<Joshue108> Hot topic, useful to have an editors draft requesting community comment

<Joshue108> Thats ok in a FPWD

<Joshue108> SN: Ok

<Joshue108> We could take place holder out either.

<Joshue108> Or if the requirements would be different because its XR

<Joshue108> SN: Would need to look to make sure

<Joshue108> JW: We could introduce note - there are some style issues regarding the bibliography etc

<Joshue108> JOC: I can help with formatting etc for FPWD

<Joshue108> JS: Publishing in September would be good

<Joshue108> Could even be up to TPAC.

<Joshue108> JW: Timed text group are expecting the SAUR.

<Joshue108> JOC: Can we publish both?

<Joshue108> JS: I hear the need to finish NAUR, but its important we have a FPWD before TPAC.

<Joshue108> Would be great to get NAUR also published.

<Joshue108> SAUR has an impact on WCAG 3 also.

<Joshue108> We are helping by getting this out.

<Joshue108> JW: Would like to get SAUR done first.

<Joshue108> Want to agree that NAUR can follow

<Joshue108> JW: Not far away - larger issues can be put in as notes.

<Judy> [judy rejoins, and apologizes for the logistical glitch when I had to step off this call to take another, earlier]

<Joshue108> JS: We could probably do it, and publish soon

<Joshue108> Janinas ordering sounds good and could be done within weeks of each other.

<Joshue108> JS: Great chance to solialise

<Joshue108> JOC: I can dedicate time to this when back from hols and we can get SAUR and NAUR ready

Resolution: RQTF to prioritise a FPWD of SAUR followed by NAUR

<Joshue108> JOC: Apologies to Scott as I know you wanted to talk about Remote meetings a11y

<Joshue108> SH: All good

<Joshue108> The structured draft has received work since we discussed it.

<Joshue108> All the comments etc have been incorporated, the appendix has been worked through etc

<Joshue108> Lots of things have clicked into place

<Joshue108> Have updated the caption requirements, window resizing and more are updated

<Joshue108> Still things to do, but the question is things around hybrid meetings, presentation etc

<Joshue108> Some items to be done.

<Joshue108> My question is to look at where the space is to look at it and what we want to do.

<Joshue108> There is also the tips section - please do have a look.

<Joshue108> So how to progress?

<Joshue108> JB: Thanks Scott

<Joshue108> Its great to see the notes etc integrated into the doc

<Joshue108> I want to highlight two things, hybrid meetings first...

<Joshue108> There is more granularity needed - you need someone in the room and there are social and technical tips.

<Joshue108> We need some placeholder text at the top of the section - so we dont create an impression that this is comprehensive

<Joshue108> We need to change label on refs, link incorrect.

<Joshue108> JB: Now it is cleaned up RQTF should review

<Joshue108> JW: A question - we have two publication efforts in progress, SAUR and NAUR

<Joshue108> This doc is in a wiki, so its not subject to note track doc review process

<Joshue108> where do you see this being published?

<Joshue108> Not clear

<Joshue108> JB: We don't know yet.

<Joshue108> For sure more than a wiki.

<Joshue108> we want to evolve it - not sure if it is NOTE track but could be.

<Joshue108> Could be a WAI resource, happy to hear views.

<Joshue108> SH: I'm happy for it to be more easily edited.

<Joshue108> I think it could be a NOTE

<Joshue108> It does speak to different audience. Could be an education piece.

<Joshue108> There is a demand for this info

<Raja> If I want to disseminate to education or research, what are the steps?

<Joshue108> JW: To ask if it was to be a resource or NOTE, that would engage wide review etc. When do you think you would have it in an appropriate spot.

<Raja> like -- presentation, poster, or publication

<Joshue108> JB: <Reads Raja's question>

<Zakim> Judy, you wanted to comment on remote meetings after Scott's comments and to and to

<Joshue108> JB: I'm thinking this is as a working group NOTE- takes time to do that.

<Joshue108> Grabbing comments on wiki stuff can be tricky.

<Joshue108> Rajas comment is good as we needed this over a year ago, and particularly we need to promote awareness of this.

<Joshue108> If we do a formal group NOTE we should have a PR version

<Joshue108> JS: I wanted to speak in favour of NOTE as it is a well known process

<Joshue108> This idea is well socialised

<Joshue108> If we invent something new, we have issues with getting feedback, as well as moving from a wiki to a HTML document

<Joshue108> JS: Not so hard, style sheets are simple. @@Pandoc?

<Joshue108> JW: Not e'one can change a controlled doc

<Joshue108> JW: I can take care of format conversion and work with Scott to make sure its an accessible editing process.

<Joshue108> SH: I can do HTML

<Joshue108> JW: I can get a branch into a repo.

<Joshue108> SH: The resource was useful to have a year ago etc, but there is also guidance here that has not been implemented

<Joshue108> It also provides guidance on things that need to be added

<Joshue108> RK: I was thinking we could share it with the community...

<Joshue108> In research access community, there are user experience reports etc

<Joshue108> that would be good for the wiki. How can we get community feedback in?

<Joshue108> When it comes to education we should include that.

<Joshue108> To cover feedback like automatic captioning and show all our collective efforts.

<Joshue108> JW: If we had a FPWD on this, that would help as it is designed to get broad public review etc

<Joshue108> JS: On the messaging we try to get the widest response we can - create that list

<Joshue108> Get comment on what is good and bad

<Joshue108> It would have been good to have it, but we would be versioning it now.

<Joshue108> We've learned a lot - we can put this out and put editors notes where we have questions.

<Joshue108> SH: +1

<Joshue108> JB: Will withhold comment - getting this into education and beyond it important

Summary of resolutions

  1. RQTF requests APA issues a CFC to publish XAUR http://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/458e82b2ce737120d774dc3f2f1d26fec070415f/xaur/index.html as a W3C NOTE
  2. RQTF to prioritise a FPWD of SAUR followed by NAUR
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/bee/been

Succeeded: s/a year ago/a year ago, and particularly we need to promote awareness of this/

Maybe present: JB, jgw, JOC, JS, JW, SH