Spoken Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference

14 July 2021


Alan, Alan_, Dee, Irfan, janina, JF, mhakkinen, NeilS, paul_grenier, Roy, SteveNoble_
Irfan Ali

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

Irfan: ATIA presentation has been submitted

mark: we haven't heard back

Roy: our next updated working draft reflecting the feedback and refine the document should be before TPAC

Conferences including TPAC

<mhakkinen> https://bbs.zdsr24.com/d/5-zhengdu-screenreader-manual-chapter-i

Irfan: Mark mentioned we need to meet the ARIA WG, another is the CSS WG. What other groups should we meet with?

janina: don't forget to set the agenda

janina: we probably want to start socializing beyond TPAC as well

mhakkinen: is there any activity with voice?

janina: the workshop has died

<mhakkinen> +1 to Timed Text

janina: they're just a specification for when things happen. So it would matter what mechanism we choose to do that.

janina: TTML or WebVTT are the choices I'm aware of

JF: they're really focused on rendering the text to the screen

janina: we haven an RQTF deliverable by TPAC time about media synchronization

janina: we're talking about what is fed to the audio system and they're specifying when

mhakkinen: if CSS speech is truly dead or is there interest in resurrecting it. So, there's a mixed message.

janina: if we have a dependency on that spec, we would have a reason to add them to the agenda but I don't think we have one.

JF: as far as I recall, no one ever implemented the spec. Maybe we have a chat at TPAC.

janina: if they're not moving it forward, it might not be important

janina: becky and I are doing the coordination because often more than one group will have an agendum

<JF> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-speech-1/#speaking-props

Irfan: Paul and I will get the agenda and list to you

Review Feedback https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/94

janina: one of our biggest needs is this aapi problem.

janina: there is the possibility of getting some EU research into this area but their process takes some time.

note: AAPI = accessibility APIs (automation, iaccessible2, etc.)

<Roy> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/221

Roy: there is some related information in this page, we may want to reach out

<janina> https://www.w3.org/2021/07/08-apa-minutes.html

janina: there's a followup meeting on the 22nd

janina: can we describe how the pronunciation information will move from the page to AT

janina: I'll comment on Domenic's post

janina: we can add an agenda item for EPUB to discuss examples of pronunciatino

Other Business

<Irfan> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/92

<Dee> https://www.rnib.org.uk/

I will take on starting a draft response to this issue

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Maybe present: mark, note