Released August 2011
- Added sounds.dtd file for a standard set of instrument sounds to identify musical timbre.
- Added sounds.xml file defining the initial set of 886 standard instrument sounds.
- Added to20.xsl file for transforming a MusicXML 3.0 file to a MusicXML 2.0 file.
- Added <instrument-sound> element for describing timbre for playback. The standard sounds listed in the sounds.xml file may be used.
- Added <virtual-instrument>, <virtual-library>, and <virtual-name> elements for specifying a specific virtual instrument sound.
- Added <sounds>, <sound>, <any>, <solo>, and <ensemble> elements in new sounds.dtd file.
- Added <play> and <other-play> elements for playback techniques.
- Added <ipa> element for International Phonetic Alphabet sounds in vocal music.
- Added <mute> element for mute playback techniques with different instruments.
- Added <semi-pitched> element for playback categories of indefinite pitch.
- Added <system-dividers>, <left-divider>, and <right-divider> elements for system separation marks.
- Added <string-mute> element for string mute on/off symbols.
- Added <principal-voice> element for principal and secondary voices, including Hauptstimme and Nebenstimme.
- Added <percussion>, <glass>, <metal>, <wood>, <pitched>, <membrane>, <effect>, <timpani>, <beater>, <stick>, <stick-material>, <stick-type>, <stick-location>, and <other-percussion> elements for percussion pictogram symbols.
- Added <distance> element for standard distance between notation elements.
- Added <credit-type> element for purpose behind a <credit>.
- Added <hole>, <hole-closed>, <hole-shape>, and <hole-type> elements for woodwind/brass fingerings and other notations.
- Added <handbell> element for techniques used in handbell and handchime music.
- Added <notehead-text> element for text inside a notehead.
- Added <arrow>, <arrow-direction>, <arrow-style>, and <circular-arrow> elements for arrows used as musical technical indications.
- Added <delayed-inverted-turn> element for inverted turns delayed until the end of the current note.
- Added <vertical-turn> element for turn shape arranged vertically going from upper left to lower right.
- Added <interchangeable> and <time-relation> elements for specifying interchangeable or dual time signatures, such as 3/4 (6/8).
- Added <key-accidental> element for specifying accidentals in non-traditional key signatures.
New Attributes and Entities
- Added measure attribute to the <rest> element.
- Added winged attribute to the <repeat> element.
- Added niente attribute to the <wedge> element.
- Added unplayed attribute to the <frame> element.
- Added symbol attribute to the <degree-value> element.
- Added dash-length and space-length attributes to the <tied>, <slur>, <glissando>, <slide>, <scoop>, <plop>, <doit>, <falloff>, <wedge>, <bracket>, <dashes>, and <octave-shift> elements.
- Added slash attribute to the <turn>, <delayed-turn>, and <inverted-turn> elements.
- Added approach and departure attributes to the <mordent> and <inverted-mordent> elements.
- Added time-separator and time-symbol entities for displaying time signatures.
- Added separator attribute to the <time> element for displaying the arrangement of beat and beat-type values.
- Added after-barline attribute to the <clef> element.
- Added xml:space attribute to the text-formatting entity.
Additions to Elements
- Added comma and tick values to the <breath-mark> element.
- Added <midi-device> element to the <sound> element.
- Added multiple <midi-device> elements to the <score-part> element.
- Added default-x, default-y, relative-x, relative-y, and type attributes to the <extend> element.
- Added underline, overline, line-through, and enclosure attributes to the <dynamics> element.
- Added time-only attribute to the <tie> element.
- Added number attribute to the <transpose> element.
- Added optional content to the <senza-misura> element for specifying a symbol.
- Added print-object attributes to the <notations> and <lyric> elements.
- Added halign and valign attributes to the <dynamics>, <coda>, <segno>, <rehearsal>, <metronome>, <accordion-registration>, <damp>, <damp-all> <eyeglasses>, <harp-pedals>, <pedal>, <other-direction>, <measure-numbering>, and <time> elements.
- Added letter-spacing and line-height attributes to the <rehearsal> element.
- Added id attribute to the <midi-device> element.
New Values and Definitions
- Added jianpu value to the <sign> element for clefs.
- Added square value to the <group-symbol> and <part-symbol> elements.
- Added square, circle, bracket, triangle, and diamond values to the enclosure attribute for the <words>, <credit-words>, <display-text>, and <accidental-text> elements.
- Added rectangle, oval, bracket, triangle, and diamond values to the enclosure attribute for the <rehearsal> element.
- Added 1024th, 512th, and maxima values to the <type> element.
- Added 7 and 8 to number attribute values for the <beam> and <metronome-beam> elements via the beam-level entity.
- Added 7 and 8 to the values for the <tremolo> element.
- Added fa up, circle dot, left triangle, and rectangle values to the <notehead> element.
- Added sharp-down, sharp-up, natural-down, natural-up, flat-down, flat-up, triple-sharp, triple-flat, slash-quarter-sharp, slash-sharp, slash-flat, double-slash-flat, sharp-1, sharp-2, sharp-3, sharp-5, flat-1, flat-2, flat-3, flat-4, sori, and koron values to the <accidental>, <accidental-mark>, and <accidental-text> elements.
- Added continue value to the type attribute for the <tied>, <wedge>, <dashes>, <bracket>, <octave-shift>, and <pedal> elements.
- Added before-barline value to the location attribute for the <cancel> element.
- Added note and dotted-note values to the symbol attribute for the <time> element.
- Deprecated the repeater attribute of the <beam> element. Use the <tremolo> element instead.
Updated September 2011
- Corrected the definition of the <frame> element’s unplayed attribute in the direction.mod and musicxml.xsd files to match the documentation.
Updated June 2015
- Corrected the parttime.xsl and timepart.xsl stylesheets to output the MusicXML 3.0 public ID rather than the MusicXML 2.0 public ID.