Merchant Business Group

15 March 2021


David Benoit, Ian Jacobs, John O'Brien, Karen Myers, Laura Townsend, Linda Toth, Matthew Orr
John O'Brien
Nick Telford-Reed, nicktr

Meeting minutes


john: items arising from minutes?

john: Mel, Nick and I have been discussing how to make meeting as relevant as possible

content ideas

<Karen> +1 video on social media

john: attention span is about 20 minutes (according to FIS/Worldpay research/experience)
… an example that Phil just gave - barcodes only have 5 years to go

john: so there's an opportunity to do some guerilla marketing
… jumping onto topics of the day

john: what are people's thoughts?

phil: point of clarification - barcodes have a long time to go - but there may be a shift over the next 5 years
… I would love to see Shopify here
… they are a member of W3C
… other topics - conversion rates, accessibility

karen: I love the idea videos

matt: creating video snippets might help us get groups like Shopify here

john: Completely agree with Phil on the topics
… anything else for focus areas?

karen: I'd love to hear from Laura - what have merchants done concretely during the pandemic

Laura: we have a lot of open dialogue
… what are the lessons learned

Laura: our members are trying to figure out how to deliver experiences in a very different way
… what are the hybrid models
… alternative payment methods
… and I think consumers are interested in that
… but it needs to be seamless and gives choice

linda: NACS/Connexus are traditionally bricks and mortar
… but our members have had to pivot to kerbside delivery /click and collect without giving away the customer relationship
… and therefore margin

laura: I'd also add that how data can drive behaviours and improvements is a huge theme
… and lastly authentication is an enormous deal
… remote/online transactions brings a huge amount of risk

linda: another issue has been "out of stocks" - what was in the store that people could order remotely?
… how do you manage the stock and surface availability to customers

phil: stock control is an interesting IT challenge
… also fake goods
… which is a use case that's driving serial numbers
… so that specific items can be tracked

phil: in the same way that the Improving web advertising BG has become all about privacy, could we look into authentication of goods?

john: please send through any feedback or volunteer for specific items

nicktr: would people be comfortable recording the meeting?

linda: I think it would be easier to have specific "panels"

phil: or individual responses

accessibility primer

nicktr: we've started thinking about what a primer might look like - but done as a panel rather than a doc

karen: we could also talk about WCAG 2.2 or WCAG 3

Topics of the day

nicktr: Secure Payment Confirmation - super exciting, feedback from Stripe and Google at WPWG this week

ian: hypothesis is that people will prefer a WebAuthn experience to passwords (e.g. in 3DS challenge)
… though it's not limited to cards and we're talking to other parties like Amazon pay and so on
… and we intend to really dig into this at the WPWG face to face at the end of the month

ian: meeting is Thursday

nicktr: delegated authentication super interesting - allowing third-parties to authenticate users on behalf of "Account servicing payment service providers"

ian: SPC might be helpful with guest checkout
… but if you're a large merchant, then the consumer might be logged in - in which case that might be a delegated authentication

Non-fungible tokens - can this change digital goods sale?

john: feels to me like there's a through thread to web monetisation that we heard about from coil.com a couple of meetings ago
… to make it easier to reward creators

john: just to come back on delegated authentication, seems to be the purview of the very largest merchants only
… but would be good to have it more broadly available

laura: hasn't hit our agenda yet

phil: non-fungibility is curious concept

call timing

karen: we have chapter model in w3c. the New York Metro chapter is very interested in ecommerce
… they're looking at May 6th for the next Symposium X

nicktr: I'd be interested in participating

phil: me too

david: me too

Next meeting - 29th March, time might have to be moved to accommodate daylight savings changes TBC

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Maybe present: david, ian, john, karen, Laura, linda, matt, nicktr, phil