WoT Use Cases

12 January 2021


Christine_Perey, Georg_Schneider, Herve_Pruvost, Jack_Dickinson, Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_Koster, Michael_Lagally, Michael_McCool, Tomoaki_Mizushima

Meeting minutes


Kaz: we have Georg and Herve from the Linked Building Data CG and Christine from the Spatial Data on the Web IG as guests

Lagally: one of the last activities was carrying forward uc and reqs into a new document
… ucs are now in a use cases document
… last update of which was dec 10

Georg: Hi everyone!

<Georg_Schneider> Linked Building Data Community Group

Christine: intro, work in AR, enterprise and industrial use cases
… are some AR use cases that have been proposed, would like to improve, give feedback on others
… including discovery

Lagally: appreciate the input

minute review

<kaz> Dec-8

Lagally: moved over documents to new use cases repository

<mlagally> https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases

Lagally: both use case and requirements
… also looked at some particular use cases and merged some PRs, reviewed issues, etc.

Lagally: have not gotten any negative input; any objections?
… hearing no objections, the minutes will be published

PR 73

Lagally: Hybridcast PR, PR #73

<kaz> PR 73

Lagally: added references
… modified existing use case
… note that modifications were to index.html file

Lagally: ideally from now on new use cases should go into index.html

Georg: what is process? Fork, create branch and PR?

Lagally: yes; there is also a template, but it is currently in MD only

Lagally: can we get a volunteer to create an html template?

Kaz: we can just use the conversion script

Lagally: kaz, can you please do that, then?

Action: kaz to generate an HTML version template for use cases

Kaz: yes, will do

Lagally: structure is very simple; good to look at existing use cases

Lagally: use cases are more complete than requirements at this point

Lagally: much of the content for requirements is still in MD

Lagally: think in general it is better to work directly on the index.html and not on separate fragments

McCool: should update readmes to steer people away from editing the MD files

Christine: would like some assistance on getting up to speed; maybe a sidebar meeting?

McCool: cp, we can schedule a 1:1, but it would have to be next week

Lagally: I can also help, in same time zone

Lagally: let's go back to the PR we were looking at
… PR 73
… just adding references to an existing use case; trivial, propose merging

<kaz> PR 73

Lagally: (merges PR73)

PR 38

<kaz> PR 38

Lagally: is this ready to merge?

McCool: there were a few comments that were not updated in the PR, but I suggest we merge now and deal with those when we do the PR to convert to HTML

Lagally: ok

Lagally: will create an issue, summarize the required changes
… unfortunately jennifer is not on the meeting now

McCool: let's create the issue, Jennifer can comment on it and we can send her and email about it

Lagally: (merges PR38)

<kaz> Issue 85

Lagally: issue 85 will deal with the conversion of the dashboard uc to html and incorporation of the updates

topics: publication roadmap

Lagally: we have many outstanding issues; but want to get a solid draft by March
… to give us time to review, so we can do a Note in May

Lagally: think we need a longer conversion about AR; assigning her to issue 83 is too soon

Lagally: my first take is that the issue has a lot of detail that could go directly into the template

Christine: I do think that the contributions need some improvement, and a bit narrow

McCool: I propose that you state your concerns and input on the issue; normally we want to do a PR only after reaching convergence

Kaz: we should ensure that we are neutral in particular, about other standards

issues without owners

Lagally: we also have a lot of issues without owners, several of which are important
… but we may be able to close some of them

<kaz> issues without owners

Lagally: although I think the healthcare ucs have been covered now so we can probably retire that issue

McCool: public health vs. private; I see we have pandemic monitoring, ICU, and health notifiers
… I would agree with closing the issue then

Lagally: ok, will close issue 16

<Georg_Schneider> Thank you for the opportunity to join today. I am looking forward in contributing building related use cases in the upcoming calls and discuss them with you. Georg

McCool: just noticed there are some duplicates, eg for timeseries

McCool: also cross-referencing can be done in a final pass

Lagally: ok, will see if I can do some cleanup

Lagally: out of time, propose adjourning; next week will look at ITU-T use cases; please review

<kaz> [adjourned]

Summary of action items

  1. kaz to generate an HTML version template for use cases
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).