Spoken Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference

06 January 2021


Irfan, janina, NeilS, paul_grenier, Roy
Irfan & Paul

Meeting minutes

zakin, next item

Agenda Review & Announcements

<Dee> Hi all, Zoom is not working so well. Will try again.

janina: we may need to give some specific to ARIA working group for SR specification. perhaps a joined meeting with ARIA working group.

janina: will find the specific documents

<Roy> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

APA charter

janina: what are we going to do by 2024 end if summer. we have been granted charter as a w3c working group. APA asks this task force about deliverables. we have normative pronunciation document.

janina: we may have authoring guide document.

janina: we thought we were done with webRTC documents but then we found some more use cases demanding more research and work.

paul_grenier: when we have CR document ready, do we go to personalization tf?

janina: you can do it in a CR document to link it to CR or PR

JF: not sure if PR still a think

JF: I was trying to understand linking personalization. we are working towards common goals and dont see any overlap between the two. if you see any, would like to know.

paul_grenier: I am not suer familiar with the group. I just brought up a use case that something personalization can handle. I could be mis-remember something.

JF: we spent lot of time supporting alternate rendering.

janina: when we have our specification mature, we can ask various vendor to support the technical specification

JF: perhaps we can have AA kind of success criteria in WCAG which will encourage users to do this.

Mhakkinen: 3.1.6 Pronunciation: A mechanism is available for identifying specific pronunciation of words where meaning of the words, in context, is ambiguous without knowing the pronunciation. (Level AAA)

JF: we can advocate it to AA from AAA which seems more realistic

JF: over the life of next charter period, we think we have got a robust solution and we need to take it to the next level.

JF: that includes demos, blog post, outreach programs

NeilS: we need to find the implementation

JF: another way to reach-out to vendors and ask them to implement it

JF: there are 3 or 4 kind of nature player, if we can get one or more of them, (I know someone at samsung) telling them that they have ability to customizing the names using our technology. those are kind of activities we should be thinking about going forward, how can we spread it organically.

<JF> Idea: author a new technique for this: https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/?showtechniques=316#pronunciation

janina: there is a draft charter and template about describing presentation of the deliverables. we can take first crack using the template and then Roy or Michael can fix it.

janina: we would like our CFC in few weeks.

JF: within the next two weeks

janina: we should have our draft document ready within two weeks following templates.

<Roy> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

Action: Irfan to create a document using the template for first draft

<trackbot> Created ACTION-19 - Create a document using the template for first draft [on Irfan Ali - due 2021-01-13].

JF: do we want to put a submission in virtual CSUN?

mhakkinen: we have nothing for virtual CSUN. are they still excepting any more submission?

JF: deadline was October

JF: we should be looking for socializing at CSUN to spread the words.

mhakkinen: perhaps we can check other conferences. need to be little creative and take a look

there was a speechtech conference. we can take a look on this

Action: JF to check the venues to spread the words about pronunciation work

<trackbot> Created ACTION-20 - Check the venues to spread the words about pronunciation work [on John Foliot - due 2021-01-13].

Updates on Call with PCG

paul_grenier: met with publishing group. most of them have not heard about work but they are interested in following up closely. very possible that we will find additional implementation form that group.

mhakkinen: we need to touch abse with eReader. they don't have any support of pronunciation like ePub

paul_grenier: guidance will be there. we can help them build out some examples and test their implementation. Neil can help in some math examples.

Other Business

Summary of action items

  1. Irfan to create a document using the template for first draft
  2. JF to check the venues to spread the words about pronunciation work
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Maybe present: JF, Mhakkinen