Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

12 Nov 2020




<LisaSeemanKest> no quarm

<LisaSeemanKest> regrets, jeenu, john, rachael, steve, abi

<LisaSeemanKest> regrets, jeenu, john, rachael, steve, abi, david

<LisaSeemanKest> no quarum

<LisaSeemanKest> zakim next item

Status updates and Actions <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Timelines_and_actions

<LisaSeemanKest> justien icons

<LisaSeemanKest> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2020Nov/0016.html

<LisaSeemanKest> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2020Nov/att-0016/COGA_User_Guide_Intros_.docx

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GWvDsahWqpk-kGI4alhzOZtae7uGsXg7dzYkJI2clx0/edit?usp=sharing

<LisaSeemanKest> scribe: JustineP

Lisa: Justine to provide new icons with examples of poor icons, Betsy's objectives to be sent to list for review
... Steve was going to review patterns across authors to make tone sound consistent.
... If not, someone else should do the review. Will ask Steve if he can manage it. If not, I will review.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://w3c.github.io/coga/content-usable/#summary

Lisa: Beginning of document underwent restructuring.
... Appendix A received positive feedback, maps user stories to patterns/scenarios
... received suggestion to have Summary discuss different objectives with Appendix A (mapping) as supporting info, followed by user stories.
... I like the Appendix but it is quite long and people might get lost.

EA: Agree.

Lisa: As compromise, in How to Use this Document section, provide an overview of Appendix and mention of the approach to mapping.
... Should we add a sentence at the beginning?

EA: Yes. Table clearly lays out objectives and link to scenarios, but you can get lost in user stories. Perhaps reviewers see it as a way of introducing audience to objectives and user stories.
... Should we ask of wider TF?

Lisa: We already discussed with Steve and agreed to discuss in an upcoming call.
... I'm worried about further restructuring and confusion with versions of the document.

EA: Agree, can get lost in the good details.

Lisa: Suggestion received to move How to Use this Document to the Introduction.
... with mapping, seems like a good idea.
... didn't necessarily agree with suggested groups though.

EA: They are quite limiting

Lisa: Agree that the "How to Use" section needs more work, consider changing examples to to fit lifecycles of modern teams.

EA: Is anyone in COGA involved in large design teams?
... Abbi is a good point of contact to ask given her current role.

Lisa: We also want to work with smaller IT companies.

EA: Neil is another good person to ask due to his team size.

Lisa: Adjust the "How to Use" section/rewrite (action)
... The "Summary" label might be confusing to our audience.

Betsy: The titles are confusing. If we add another word to "Summary" to clarify intent, that might help.

Lisa: What about "Easy Reading Summary"
... or "Plain Language Summary"

EA: Does "plain language" mean simplified language or something else?

Betsy: To me, it means easy to read.

Lisa: Should we call it "Easy to Read Summary"?

Betsy: Perhaps "Summary (Easy to Read)"
... the Summary helped orient me to the document
... Slightly off topic, but I believe there might be two items in Summary that cover one objective.
... might be that numbers 3 and 4 cover Objective 3.

Lisa: Summary was originally written as a "getting started" overview

Betsy: It is extremely useful.

Lisa: We need to clean up mapping of Summary list to Objectives.

Betsy: Do you want me to do that?

Lisa: Sure. Keep bullet "Test with real users!" though.
... number 4 might move down to number 8 (merge), or can even be separate but related.
... unless we want to separate them in Objectives.

Betsy: I feel like there was another issue at the beginning. Need to look at my notes. Will also look at numbers 4 and 8.

Lisa: Next, improving icons request is in progress.
... received feedback that "User Stories" being repeated across patterns isn't well liked due to repetition with screen readers.
... If we remove the word "Pattern" for example, you won't know if the section was a Pattern, etc.

MichaelC: We can use CSS to address the screen reader considerations, although some screen reader users might benefit from repetition.

Lisa: Audience of this document might be a crucial group.

Betsy: From a cognitive standpoint, we do need the descriptive words.

Lisa: Agree, unless you are very familiar with the document.
... anyone disagree?

Next, complaint about diversity. Will work on that.

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/11/12 15:58:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: BetsyFurler
Present: BetsyFurler

WARNING: Fewer than 3 people found for Present list!

Found Scribe: JustineP
Inferring ScribeNick: JustineP

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 12 Nov 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]