Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

05 Nov 2020


Jennie, Rachael, Fazio, Abi, LisaSeemanKest, stevelee, Justine, JustineP, MichaelC, Roy
abi, bettesy


<LisaSeemanKest> clear agenda

<LisaSeemanKest> scribe: jennie

upades and action: see https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

Rachael: editorial review is going slowly.
... Next task: finish the pass on E.A.'s work
... Then that should be ready

Lisa: Abi's finished her pieces
... Merging it, which we need to do on a different call.

Justine: The icons are ready for review.
... I sent a link to the list so everyone could take a look.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2020Oct/0070.html

Lisa: This is the email

<Fazio> My Design Pattern Working Doc Accessible Authentication: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yjoap9cQ70IV0knZebSmH1V2BgSYqI4BY98PsozWumM/edit#

Lisa: I will add this to the agenda

Justine: I would happy to get the graphic designer to make any modifications
... John K did not express any concerns
... I think we are ready for feedback from this group.

Lisa: The patterns
... Steve did some patterns
... I reviewed 3
... He should review the feedback before we move forward

David F: I pasted in the link of the one I am working on, and I am working on it

scribe: I'm ok if anyone wants to look at it

Lisa: Objective text - I had a call with Betsy
... And the image subgroup, I saw that went out

<stevelee> https://github.com/w3c/coga/issues

Lisa: I will open an issue in github for where we can receive contributions

Jennie: I will ensure I understand how to work through this process

<stevelee> I agree GitHub issues are idea for such external contributions

Jennie: I can screenshot potential images into a Google doc when ready for review

Lisa: That sounds good

Steve: I think github fits well for having people contribute, and tracking issues

Lisa: We can also add the comments list
... and then copy those over
... There are other items that are wish list items, and actions for Roy

Roy: Michael mentioned he has some to share with me, and I will speak with him after

Lisa: There is also the User Stories in Appendix A was linked to patterns, and changing the style to hanging indent
... Are you ok with those as well?

Rachael: The last one was an issue placed in git by someone asked to have this so the text doesn't wrap around the images.

Roy: OK, I think I could

Michael: Give the image a (missed text) margin

Roy: OK

Michael: I did some of that in Silver if you want to look at that

Roy: There is also the TOC

Rachael: Abi and I discussed the glossary, but I have not confirmed it has been completed

Lisa: I will do an editorial pass on Appendix B
... Anything else to add to the agenda?

alisters email https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

Lisa: Alastair wrote an email to the list to explain some terms
... I want to make sure that someone is responding.
... Perception processing limitations
... (reads through the email)
... Does anyone want to put in response?
... OK, I will

David F: Yes, I can respond

Lisa: great, I will respond too

Michael: I think one response would be less confusing

David F: OK, then I can

patterns review

look at new icons https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2020Oct/0070.html

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aRoYev1aAIHhIq37Itt96ueBwLh5zXMUeJBYxL0MCkQ/edit

Justine: The icons were custom created by a graphic designer in my organization

Lisa: Thank you Justine for getting these done

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#summary

Lisa: We got a comment from EO that they did not find one of the original icons understandable
... Do we think this is an improvement, and does it help us
... +1 if you think it is an improvement ...Change: +1 if you are happy with this

* I'm opening the doc still

Justine: I kept the numbering the same from the summary in Content Usable

Lisa: I think we are a bit stuck on this one, as nobody is responding
... This is a hard one

Rachael: What about a fingerprint?

Lisa: That to me would be identity

David F: A thumb's up?

scribe: Maybe a person shrugging with 2 thumb's up?

Justine: Maybe a confirm button followed by a submit button?

Jennie: Maybe symbols people know more regularly, like a checkbox, radio button, and a close button

Justine: I would be happy to have the graphic designer mock something up

Lisa: (moving to 3rd item) Are we comfortable with that one?

<LisaSeemanKest> tweek

<Fazio> p[

Lisa: I don't think it says it is easy to understand text

<Rachael> Jennie: These are really hard concepts to make icons for. I really appreciate you tackling it.

<Rachael> ...no strong opinion.

<Rachael> +1 to Justine taking this on! Thank you.

Rachael: Maybe instead of going 1 by 1, maybe we start with which ones we think are successful
... Then we can identify what works well and move to the harder concepts

Lisa: OK

<Rachael> +1 to the spilling cup

Lisa: I really like the liquid spilling out of the cup

Rachael: I like the spilling cup, the finger reminder

Lisa: OK 5, 7, 9 - can we agree on those?

<LisaSeemanKest> +1

<JustineP> +1

<Rachael> +1

I am +1 to 5 and 7

thinking about 9

Lisa: Let's leave that one for now that is ok
... Let's focus on the other ones
... Let's look at 6

Justine: John K received feedback that the original image could be interpreted around firearms

David F: I think something around zooming in

Lisa: What about a magnifying glass with a cross

<Rachael> Jennie: I like the concept of the spotlight. I think its missing the end receiving focus.

<LisaSeemanKest> +1 to jennie

<Rachael> Justine: I think that's managable.

Jennie: could we have the spotlight focus on something?

Justine: I think I could have them mock that up, as well as something with a magnifying glass

David F: I think the magnifying glass may be confused with search

scribe: But I agree with Jennie - the beam focusing on something would be good

Justine: That's a good idea.

Lisa: 5 we are happy with, 6 needs a tweak
... (reviews #4 text)
... I liked what we had for #4

<Rachael> Jennie: Needs more time to think about it. May have different perspective. Take a few days to review.

David F: I like the idea of graph, but think adding an equal sign

scribe: to indicate deciphering

That's a good idea, David

Rachael: For the different ways to understand content, I would love to see a camera filter, where half looks one way, half looks other
... It is hard to do an icon
... in a small space

Lisa: What if we had a #1, a dot, and a finger up
... 3 fingers and 3 dots

David F: Yes

scribe: I think we are all saying the same thing in different ways

Lisa: And maybe an arrow between the 3 representations of the same thing

Justine: What I am hearing is a #1 with a finger, what was the 3rd?

Lisa: A dot

<Rachael> Jennie: As we are discussing more complex icons and talkign with the graphic designer. Can the graphics be larger in the document? Can they have a specific space to help the designer?

Lisa: 3 ways of representing the same thing
... We could make them bigger

Justine: We can use SVG that would support better scaling

Any minimum size recommendations from the designer?

<LisaSeemanKest> 3<=>***

Justine: No, but I would be happy to ask them to increase the size of the icons in general

Lisa: What if we just had 2 things

+1 to reducing how many components in the icon

<LisaSeemanKest> 3 ***

Michael: The graphical equivalent of word smithing, and this overlaps other icons going on in WAI
... I think we should try to coordinator on icons
... It might be better to have a similar style

Lisa: Shaun asked us to replace these

Michael: Did she provide guidance?

Rachael: I'm looking for it, and we can add it to the things we should talk about

Lisa: There was another comment from someone that said they were confusing, but others said they liked it

Michael: Maybe I need to look at the comment
... I want to avoid graphical wordsmithing

Lisa: I think we can just tweak #3 and then we have a better set than we have
... For #3 - I think it would be better if it was in the middle of the text
... The blocks of text might be easier to understand

*Rachael can you take over scribing for me?

* thank you!

<Rachael> From the issue: "v.3. Icons in Summary. If you can develop meaningful, intuitive icons that support the concepts, then EOWG suggests that you use them throughout the document to help communicate the relationship of the information. (Given EOWG’s struggles with icons, we assume it is best to not try to have them at all.)"

<Rachael> Justine: We can wait for the conversation with Shawn and I can in the meantime ask the graphic artist to work on those we discussed

<Rachael> Lisa: We had ideas for 6 adn 4. We can wait until we have more feedback

<Rachael> ...We don't have edit access right now. Maybe give us comment access?

<Rachael> ...We'll get feedback from Michael. We have an editor's call now.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fc7TI8V6dNgFrD6wzGR8CjbbtO7Az0U-zYylrRSy8QQ/edit#heading=h.f830s7ypu4na

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/11/05 16:13:11 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/OK 5, 7, 8/OK 5, 7, 9/
Default Present: Jennie, Rachael, Fazio, Abi, LisaSeemanKest, stevelee, Justine, JustineP, MichaelC, Roy
Present: Jennie Rachael Fazio Abi LisaSeemanKest stevelee Justine JustineP MichaelC Roy
Regrets: abi bettesy
Found Scribe: jennie
Inferring ScribeNick: Jennie

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 05 Nov 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]