Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

04 Nov 2020


paul_grenier, Matthew_Atkinson, becky, amy_c, NeilS


<becky> regrets, Gottfried Zimmermann

<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

Agenda Review & Announcements

Calendar for remainder of the year

Becky: No meeting the week of US Thanksgiving (w/c 23rd of November). No meeting on the 23rd nor the 30th of December.
... There will be a meeting on the 11th of November.

APA Rechartering Begins - https://www.w3.org/2018/08/apa-charter

<MichaelC> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

Michael: Current focus is on Scope section—please check it out—and then Deliverables.

Becky: TFs should say if they want anything adding specifically?

Michael: We should ensure the Scope section allows for this (the last bullet point in Scope should satisfy this).

Becky: The TFs' expected deliverables still need to be added to the 2.1 Normative Specifications section?

Michael: Yes. Timelines need to be considered too.

TPAC 2020 Review - https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2020

<NeilS> MA: Review of his TPAC -- discussed how systems could be made more adaptive

<NeilS> ... great discussions. suggestions on how this might achieved

<NeilS> ... eithical questions about privacy

<NeilS> ... there were minutes taken. On TPAC page

Link to presentation (which includes the link to the minutes): http://matatk.agrip.org.uk/talks/2020/innovative-adaptations/

<paul_grenier> https://www.w3.org/2020/10/27-voice-agents-minutes.html

Paul: A lot of interest; expecting the workshop will go forward in 2021. The group is eager for recruits.
... Ther are two open source projects of interest to follow up on. However, a notable absence of platform vendors in this area.

<NeilS> MA: recap of meeting on tests


<NeilS> MA: meeting was about how specs should have database of test coverage of the spec

<NeilS> ... how to get good test coverage. both depth and breadth

<NeilS> ...it was mostly WPA (web platform archetecture specs)

<NeilS> ... biggest challenge is making sure that the tests submitted are good tests. There is a backlog to review the tests

<NeilS> ... really important problem

<NeilS> ... from a personal perspective, it would be good to look at how accessibility is covered

<NeilS> Paul: was there any coordination with ACT group?

<NeilS> MA: I'm aware of aria testing, but I think it is trying to solve a different problem. I need to learn more about ARIA testing

Neil: Ran a breakout about MathML and maybe forming a working group. General positive interest. The proposal contains some ways to improve MathML accessibility by allowing authors to express intent behind parts of the math.

Becky: Was there any industry representation?

Neil: There was quite wide attendance, but unclear at the moment; lots of questions about how to overcome the various known technical barriers, e.g. implementing missing elements via the Shadow DOM etc.
... It's currently a community group, but hoping to form a working group.
... "MathML core" is in Chromium behind some flags; hopefully more progress soon.

Task Force Updates

Becky: Personalization is working on current raised issues and feedback.

Paul: Pronunciation's next decision point is making a decision on technology choice. Feels it's likely to be based on an attribute model (following discussion in the TAG meeting). May request a prefix down the line.

Neil: Not been able to elicit major input from vendors on this.
... Industry represenation we have is from publishing.

Paul: Taking forward the attribute model may help us elicit further feedback.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22%22

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/2020/10/webperf.html

Michael: We felt that this was low-level so not within our remit.

*no opposition from group*

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/CSS_Box_Sizing_Module_Level_4

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/CSS_Box_Model_Module_Level_4

Amy: Checked the Box Sizing Module Level 4; OK (not the Box Model Module Level 4).
... Clarification: checked the Box Sizing Module Level 3; not 4.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Clipboard_API_and_events

Michael: We reviewed it ~4yrs ago; filed an issue but not sure how it was resolved.
... *checks* The issue we filed was resolved.

<MichaelC> ACTION: becky to re-review Clipboard API and events http://www.w3.org/TR/clipboard-apis/

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2265 - Re-review clipboard api and events http://www.w3.org/tr/clipboard-apis/ [on Becky Gibson - due 2020-11-11].

CSS Checkin (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<MichaelC> action-2265: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Clipboard_API_and_events

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2265 Re-review clipboard api and events http://www.w3.org/tr/clipboard-apis/.

Amy: *is working on being able to attend CSS meetings*

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/groups/wg/css/participants

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Becky: Please check the link and ensure that you don't have outstanding actions.

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5671

Michael: Is this an issue that's relevant to APA? Assuming yes.

Becky: *agrees*

Michael: Pleaes check out the link and subscribe to the issue if you're interested.

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5594

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5042

Becky: this could help voice control users too

Michael: should we involve the ARIA group?

Becky: *agrees*

Paul: It seems you'd only want this [the decoration] to show up if someone starts trying to use an access key.

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/html-aam/issues/309

Michael: Our tracking tool doesn't provide updates on open issues (only tells us when they're closed) so anyone who's interested in following these issues should visit the GitHub page and use the Subscribe button, to get update notifications.

Becky: ACK; subscribed

Other Business

be done

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: becky to re-review Clipboard API and events http://www.w3.org/TR/clipboard-apis/

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/11/04 17:54:49 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/MS/MA/
Succeeded: s/Neil/Paul/
Present: paul_grenier Matthew_Atkinson becky amy_c NeilS
Found Scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
Inferring ScribeNick: Matthew_Atkinson
Found Date: 04 Nov 2020
People with action items: becky

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]