16 Oct 2020


MichaelC, CharlesHall, sajkaj, KimD, Lauriat, PeterKorn, Christy, SuzanneTaylor, kirkwood, Rachael
Angela, Hooker


<Chuck> meeting: SILVER-2020-10-16


<scribe> scribe: sajkaj

<scribe> chair: Chuck

ca: Notes lots of regrets today

Report on joint meetings

<Chuck> PK: PK attended epub.

pk: attended epub
... review of upcoming APA specs, Personalization and Pronunciation
... Videos are available
... Personalization is people with COGA, emphasis on AAC

<PeterKorn> https://www.w3.org/2020/10/TPAC/apa-personalization.html

<PeterKorn> https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/

<PeterKorn> https://www.w3.org/2020/10/TPAC/apa-pronunciation.html

pk: Next Pronunciation ...

<PeterKorn> https://www.w3.org/TR/pronunciation-gap-analysis-and-use-cases/#gap-analysis

pk: Looked at CSS-Speech vs a new SSML approach
... gap analysis exists
... also video
... at an architectural impass right now
... Personal view is that machine learning may help resolve much of this
... Taking the time may be lots of time for possibly low adoption vs ml approaches may suggest ROI eval on a more a11y approach now
... So unsure re ROI

ca: Was this mostly informative?

pk: Jeanne was present, believe forshadowing of potential requests for Silver
... Not a ready to digest enumerated list

sl +1 to pk

<Chuck> sajkaj: This was useful for Silver because it also involves ePUb.

<Chuck> sajkaj: I think apa's expectations are that earlier uptakes are likely to come in the ePub environment.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Once that happens then there will be a silver interest.

<Chuck> +1 Michael

mc: Silver would want to say "make sure it's pronounced correctly" regardless of how achieved

pk: notes multiple methods

mc: And silver might not care on method

<Lauriat> +1 to Michael

pk: but how a11y supported do you need? Eloquence sits on small devices and doesn't get lots right

ca: Probably not the time to resolve this!

<Chuck> sajkaj: XR was very informative. Didn't run full hour. "We" did most of talking. Current status of xr user requirements.

<Chuck> sajkaj: We asked for review because we are finished. Coga concerned that it was missed.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Mike Crabb was on call and discussed work of Silver captioning and how it's fitting into fpwd, covering emerging tech.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Pointed us to a spec (will paste in later). A dom spec for xr that Mike Crabb looked, thought it was very promissing.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Media Synchronization. This bubbled up from APA.

<Chuck> sajkaj: I did some investigation, there are places where there could be issues, we wanted to talk to people that are interested.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Nigel from BBC interested (timetext), looked at it independently. How tight do you need to be synced to be comprehensible?

<Chuck> sajkaj: We've seen multiple definitions, it's asometric. Most are lip readers without ever realizing they do that.

<Chuck> sajkaj: If you have someone who was hearing, as they age and lost hearing, they rely more and more on lip reading. Getting the sync in the right window matters.

<Chuck> sajkaj: ... provides sync down to the milisecond.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Needs to be some work there.

<Chuck> sajkaj: I learned, somebody has implemented a described video when it's texted, and not pre-recorded, a way to work that into the gaps of speech.

<Chuck> sajkaj: This is what we thought would be useful.

<Chuck> sajkaj: We agreed to continue to research to come up with numbers and use cases, and justifications from research.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Nigel was asking for more info.

<Chuck> sajkaj: Next step goes back to apa.

ca: notes a personal advisory that I lip read--was stunned
... Notes masks over faces has made an impact also

k: one additional in epub/silver ...

<PeterKorn> https://github.com/w3c/publ-a11y/wiki/Publishing-issues-for-Silver

pk: epub wants certain things in silver

<PeterKorn> https://w3c.github.io/publ-epub-revision/epub33/a11y/

pk: they have a wish list
... concerned me personally -- everything wcag may not be optimal
... believe much of epub may not be a good fit or as important on the web in general, eg glossary
... we will need to work this out with them
... how to deal where something is important in an epub but maybe not beyond

ca: we'll touch on that certainly and in item 3

pk: phps item 3 first?

Retrospective of where we are now and discussion on what we should do next

ca: not really a lull, but things seem to be calmed for now
... remaining issues on AGWG Tuesday
... So what next here?
... mindful CfC on FPWD still outstanding

pk: Substantial Conformance might ber one, first meeting of subgroup next Thursday
... phps something to bring back in 3-4 weeks

ca: asks pk specifically on current topic -- anything else for now?

pk: not sure how much before public feedback
... certainly plenty on additional guidelines which needn't wait on feedback
... COGA may be most meaty to develop our spoons approach

<Lauriat> +1 on additional guidelines happening in parallel to other topics, we have quite a lot remaining to migrate: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aCRXrtmnSSTso-6S_IO9GQ3AKTB4FYt9k92eT_1PWX4/edit

sl: Notes above link of migration map to work through
... some things to work out, eg. pre-recorded vs live

ca: Recalls pk suggestion to wait for public feedback before taking on more
... see that as wisdom

<Chuck> sajkaj: Reason why it might be important to wait for feedback is that we might discover a fundamental problem that impacts the remainder of our work. Just off the top of my head.

Reminder of Pre-CFC content updates

ca: brief reminder -- much has been ongoing
... hope to go to CfC after Tuesday AG call

<MichaelC> https://w3c.github.io/silver/guidelines/

mc: Jeanne and Rachael have done most of the content; me the editorial ...
... some things shifted around
... each guideline may have multiple outcomes now
... methods now not in doc

[mc reviews current document structure]

rm: suggest reading editorial notes because they've evolved and are important
... they provide context and frame questions
... please look that things fit and make sense on the whole

[ca reviews above for rm]

<Chuck> sajkaj: I cannot pull from the repository, getting errored out on commit. Logs say latest commits are from Michael.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/10/16 18:41:31 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/has/may have/
Default Present: MichaelC, CharlesHall, sajkaj, KimD, Lauriat, PeterKorn, Christy, SuzanneTaylor, kirkwood, Rachael
Present: MichaelC CharlesHall sajkaj KimD Lauriat PeterKorn Christy SuzanneTaylor kirkwood Rachael

WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: Wilco_Fiers, Makoto_Ueki, Jake_Abma, David_Fazio, Bruce_Bailey, Sarah_Horton, Todd_Libby)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ Angela, Hooker

Regrets: Angela Hooker
Found Scribe: sajkaj
Inferring ScribeNick: sajkaj

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]