Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

02 Jul 2020



addison, Atsushi, Fuqiao, Richard, Felix, fsasaki, Bert
Addison Phillips


trackbot, prepare teleconference

<agendabot> clear agenda

<scribe> scribenick: addison

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items



<trackbot> action-920 -- Richard Ishida to Send simple-ruby for wide review -- due 2020-06-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/920

richard: check with atsushi to see if we're ready to go?

xfq: murata-san has some comments on double-sided ruby

<xfq> https://github.com/w3c/simple-ruby/issues

atsushi: (inaudible)
... think we can go, items are not major


<trackbot> action-923 -- Richard Ishida to Review editorial work on string-meta for 9-july-2020 telecon -- due 2020-07-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/923

richard: suggested taking one large section out and making an article
... okay with your suggestion
... otherwise think I did my editorial review

<scribe> ACTION: addison: update string-meta to include json-ld changes, etc.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-925 - Update string-meta to include json-ld changes, etc. [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-07-09].


<trackbot> action-924 -- Addison Phillips to Prepare updates of ltli for review by 9-july-2020 pinging fsasaki first -- due 2020-07-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/924

<xfq> Draft article: https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/lang-bidi-use-cases/index.en

<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/lang-bidi-use-cases/index.en

Info Share

richard: there's a new interactive test available
... test rig

<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/i18n-tests/exploratory/text_decoration/int-text-decor.html

richard: there's a text decoration text rig I mentioned last week

<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/i18n-tests/exploratory/text_decoration/int-text-emphasis.html

richard: there is a text emphasis one ^^
... this supports css text decoration level 4
... some things that might not be valid, like skip
... there so you can play with it

RADAR Review



<xfq> https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/112

<xfq> https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/884

<xfq> https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-svc/issues/32

<xfq> https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-svc/pull/33/files

<atsushi_> +1

<David> +1

Scalable Video Coding: issue satisfied and moved to completed

geolocation APIs

<xfq> https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/122


addison: inclined to let this by, but it's a slippery slope. error messages are in fact intended for humans.

<r12a> maybe they meant "an error message indicating the details" rather than "an error message describing the details" ?

how is that different?

Current text: The message attribute MUST return an error message describing the details of the error encountered. This attribute is primarily intended for debugging and developers SHOULD NOT use it directly in their application user interface.

addison: strike the word "primarily"

david: optional field?

richard: indicating rather than describing

<scribe> ACTION: atsushi: propose text for geolocation issue

<trackbot> Created ACTION-926 - Propose text for geolocation issue [on Atsushi Shimono - due 2020-07-09].

MiniApp URI scheme comments


<fsasaki> https://w3c.github.io/miniapp/specs/uri/#syntax

richard: they should provide some examples in say Chinese

felix: path and query are affected

addison: host might be idn; the version is just a string?

follow up next week

string-meta, string-search, LTLI work

richard: idea is to take out the large section about use cases and requirements and turn into article
... the info is quite useful for others
... but slows down document reading where it is
... that's what I'm doing at the moment


felix: can we also have small guidance about language tags and URIs, to help folks such as RDF

<xfq> https://github.com/w3c/ltli

<xfq> https://w3c.github.io/ltli/

respec linked as http vs. https


richard: will remove section from string-meta and do rearranging

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: addison: update string-meta to include json-ld changes, etc.
[NEW] ACTION: atsushi: propose text for geolocation issue

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/07/02 15:01:03 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/css text/css text decoration/
Present: addison Atsushi Fuqiao Richard Felix fsasaki Bert
Found ScribeNick: addison
Inferring Scribes: addison
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Jun/0017.html
Found Date: 02 Jul 2020
People with action items: addison atsushi string-meta update

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]