Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

04 Jun 2020



JcK, addison, Richard, Bert, atsushi, fsasaki, fuqiao
Addison Phillips


trackbot, prepare teleconference

<agendabot> clear agenda

<scribe> scribenick: addison

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items



<trackbot> action-901 -- Richard Ishida to Raise issue 91 against css-text if that's appropriate -- due 2020-05-14 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/901

richard: it's appropriate

<r12a> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5068

close action-901

<trackbot> Closed action-901.

richard: have response. thinks it's appropriate, think we can close


<trackbot> action-914 -- Fuqiao Xue to Publish current version of specdev to tr -- due 2020-06-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/914

close action-914

<trackbot> Closed action-914.


<trackbot> action-915 -- Addison Phillips to Update bp-i18n-specdev pr41 for further consideration next week -- due 2020-06-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/915

close action-915

<trackbot> Closed action-915.

Info Share

RADAR Review



richard: had an info share

<r12a> https://r12a.github.io/scripts/featurelist/

richard: that page significantly rewritten
... more languages and more data in it
... shows various features that language+script combo has
... high level distinctive features
... click column at top to order by column


Next steps for simple ruby

<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/simple-ruby/

richard: getting closer to publishing simple-ruby
... would anyone like an explanation?
... jlreq is about to be republished in a slightly new format
... some things are missing from jlreq
... there are too many things in some cases

<xfq_> http://w3c.github.io/jlreq/

richard: ruby has many potential ways of doing thing
... advanced features or too much for the web
... or equally valid but which to choose?
... idea frompub lab was "here's a low level baseline"
... here are alteratnives available, good for interop
... was distilled into this document
... not long
... started to make some noise about it, but now they are happy for us to proceed to fpwd
... issue call for wide review
... to be published as note
... is the working group happy to issue fpwd?

<Bert> +1


<xfq_> +1

<fsasaki> +1

<r12a> +1

<atsushi> +1

RESOLUTION: publish simple-ruby as fpwd

richard: WG okay with call for wide review?
... want to keep wide review short
... set a 1 week review period
... target note resolution on 18th

atsushi: reference to jlreq is pending

richard: can publish fpwd any time, work in parallel on issues
... should also work on jlreq

addison: when bring that forward?
... what versioning? wg review?

Line breaking should fallback to UAX14 in absence of other rules #5068

<r12a> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5068

richard: this is the old chestnut
... in css we provide suggestions about japanese and chinese in a tailored way\
... what happens if you don't have tailoring? use uax14?
... and there are certain things out there and tests that show lack of basic impl
... we raised in github and florian responded
... now have clause in css and css requires unicode conformance
... and that means uax14 is in the mix
... uax14 provides baseline with further tailoring expectations

addison: so they'll add that edit?

richard: think so

addison: sounds like we're good with it

<xfq> +1 to florian's suggestion

<scribe> ACTION: richard: reply to issue css 5068 on behalf of i18n saying we're satisified with the edit proposed

<trackbot> Created ACTION-917 - Reply to issue css 5068 on behalf of i18n saying we're satisified with the edit proposed [on Richard Ishida - due 2020-06-11].

Specdev Health Warning




Specifications SHOULD include an appropriate note or warning about normalization

also: such things are -> such things as



Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: richard: reply to issue css 5068 on behalf of i18n saying we're satisified with the edit proposed

Summary of Resolutions

  1. publish simple-ruby as fpwd
[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/06/04 14:58:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/fro /from/
Succeeded: s/warning/note or warning/
Present: JcK addison Richard Bert atsushi fsasaki fuqiao
Found ScribeNick: addison
Inferring Scribes: addison
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Jun/0000.html
Found Date: 04 Jun 2020
People with action items: reply richard

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]