Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

08 Apr 2020


MichaelC, becky, Irfan, JF
Gottfried, Christos


<scribe> scribe: becky

Agenda Review & Announcements

becky: welcome to Amy Carney joining the group today representing CSS; introductions around all present

Janina: mostly stock agenda; asked for any additions or news?

no input

Task Force Updates

irfan: no call today, have pending work before next call; working on technical approach document

Janina: was there a blog post about pronounciation spec?

irfan: no, I looked but couldn't find blog post

Janina: don't believe there are any edits needed
... no publications expected any time soon; RQTF questions and XUAR input have been getting good feedback

Josh: making good process on issues related to XUAR; have got some issues on RTC

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Michael: no new charters but have EPUB 3 - will discuss on coord. meeting today
... EO charter

Janina: I am okay with the charter

Michael: reviewed Leonie's message of support after reviewing
... Judy wants to make sure the EO charter supports the mission of APA?

Janina: believe APA is more inward facing and EO is outward spacing

Michael: closing the action items related to new charters
... I am curious how EPUB working group interacts with other groups

Janina: Irfan and pronunciation as well as personalization may want EPUB to include those spec. in future

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: nothing new on TR - some updated publications, some in our review list

Color and Visual Contrast on our Github Dashboard

<MichaelC> https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Michael: relates to dashboard for horizontal review dashboard; there are comments about it not meeting color contrast requirements
... color of boxes come from the label from our tracking repository; we need to decide the colors we want to use and apply them to our repository
... these will become the colors for all of the repositories

JF: do we know how many colors and always on a white background

Michael: Yes, should always be on white background; There are at least 4 colors; Pending, Needs Resolution, Close? - I18N is using advice requested, needs review, and waiting (has to do with i18n

JF: are we going to require 3:1 or 4.5:1?

Janina: whatever colors we pick we should run through new silver algorithm

JF: do we have to consider colors against one another?

Michael: probably not but good idea

JF: I will work on creating 8 colors - 6 for the known list plus 2 extras

Janina: def. want to test with the new tool under development for silver

<JF> ACTION: on JF to establish 8 appropriate colors for https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<trackbot> Error finding 'on'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/users>.

JF: but silver algorithm is for text - this is for non-text

Janina: colors should also work on dark background

JF: will do 3:1 with background and against each other

<JF> ACTION: JF to establish 8 appropriate colors for https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2251 - Establish 8 appropriate colors for https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review [on John Foliot - due 2020-04-15].

Janina: probably still a good idea to run by Andy for review

Issues Review Tracking

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5426

Michael: I new pending issue from HTML; Pages with `color-scheme: dark` have too low link color contrast
... colors in spec do not have sufficient contrast - not sure if these are only examples in the spec
... not sure if specifying colors or just used as examples in the spec (is a long issue with many comments)

Janina: probably should track

Michael: brought to our attention last week; Changing to we are tracking
... 2 media queries ones we discussed in past but couldn't decide - these are very old
... contrast related was filed 3 years ago as well as to deprecate speech media types - Patrick Lauke is involved we should reach out to him

Janina: believe contrast issues are better handled by browsers

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/imsc/issues/519

Michael: TTML - believe they have addressed our comments
... asked them to reference WCAG 2.1; changed recommends to requires, ....
... reviews pull request of their changes...
... too long to review during call - let's ask Gottfried to review

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

becky: filed issue about picture in picture

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/picture-in-picture/issues/179

Michael: will apply the a11yneedsresolution label

Janina: slogging through authentication api - is a huge spec; don't expect trouble

Other Business

Janina: do we have a community group to offer up at WAI-CC call>

Only one potentially is audio; rest are all marked no need to track or revisit in May; last updated in January

Janina: nothing else; be done!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: JF to establish 8 appropriate colors for https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review
[NEW] ACTION: on JF to establish 8 appropriate colors for https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/04/08 16:46:53 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: MichaelC becky Irfan JF
Regrets: Gottfried Christos
Found Scribe: becky
Inferring ScribeNick: becky
Found Date: 08 Apr 2020

WARNING: No person found for ACTION item: on jf to establish 8 appropriate colors for https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

People with action items: jf

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]