Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

18 Mar 2020


IrfanA, Léonie, (tink), Matthew_Atkinson, Joshue, janina, Joshue108


<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

Agenda Review & Announcements

Availability Next Wednesday 25 March

Janina: Due to a conflict next week, shall we skip next Wednesday's meeting? Any objections?

Josh: that's fine

+1 fine by me

Janina: thus we will not be meeting next week

Task Force Updates -- Upcoming Publications

<IrfanA> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/4877

Janina: *enquires as to the relationship between CSS Spech Module and our Pronounciation group*

Léonie: CSS Speech covers a different area. Started off as part of Emacspeak, became the CSS Speech Module. Has recently been re-cast as a Candidate Recommendation.

Léonie: It had been published as a note, but was rescinded and recently re-published as CR.

Léonie: There was important feedback from PFWG (now APA) that needs to be addressed.

Léonie: Lots of strong accessibility use cases. The spec needs to address the concerns that have been raised (hence helping out).

Léonie: Understand that Pronounciation is about how screen readers pronounce things; CSS Speech has a wider remit of speech in general, and not just for screen readers. E.g. CSS Speach can give us the tools to e.g. emphasise certain text via a change in volume, voice, etc.

Léonie: it should also be easy to stop assistive tech from reacting to CSS Speech.

Janina: Pronounciation (TF) covers more than screen readers.

Léonie: Is the work of the TF about how words are pronounced?

Irfan: the use cases document for Pronounciation covers things that may be addressed by CSS Speech.

Léonie: CSS Speech has partial implementation; think this may be closer to implementation than SSML (Pronounciation).

<Zakim> Joshue, you wanted to ask a little detail on some of those use cases for CSS speech

<IrfanA> https://sites.google.com/a/texthelp.com/texthelp-speechstream-public-toolbar-api/

Janina: There is some SSML implemented via the Pronounciation TF [note from scribe: I may be unclear about this]

Josh: *asks about gaps between the two approaches*

<IrfanA> https://www.w3.org/TR/pronunciation-gap-analysis-and-use-cases/

Léonie: CSS Speech builds on Web Speech API and CSS-style approaches. It may not cover all of the things that the Pronounciation TF will be able to, but it's already partly implemented.

Léonie: There are three technologies that are relevant: CSS Speech; Web Speech and SSML.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/standards/history/css3-speech

Michael: *Wondering what is the process for the develoment of the CSS Speech Module document* Will it go back to Working Draft? Things may've changed since we last commented.

Léonie: The publication as CR was intended to correct the prevoius publication of it as a note. It's not currently clear as to when it might change state next, but there is work to be done, and this process is being worked out. Some feedback from the last round of comments needs to be acknowledged in the spec.

Janina: Can we discuss with Pronounciation TF and see which areas we are covering?

Léonie: Web Speech API has all the same controls (speech, volume, voice interface) as CSS Speech, which is also similar to SSML. All are at least partly implemented.

Janina: Pronounciation seeks to address the correct pronounication of content across platforms.

Léonie: *gathers the goal is to implement SSML in the browser; it having being implemented in many other settings*

Janina: *agrees*

Michael: For Web Speech API is it necessary to write script to control the pronounciation, whereas for SSML/CSS it is more declarative? A well-defined mapping to Web Speech API would be good.

Léonie: They all share similar properties (including allowable values in cases such as loudness).

Michael: If browsers don't support SSML then at least implementing it via script would be good.

Léonie: *thinks that it would be great if browsers supported SSML*

Irfan: there is a JavaScript API that works across browsers.

Janina: We discussed a while back with respect to WICG group, we intend to share what is currently implemented and the gap analysis and take things from there.
... *suggests Léonie joining the Pronounication TF to ascertain which tech coers which use cases* [scribe note: which is being arranged]

Janinia: XAUR is to be announced

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> DRAFT PROPOSED EPUB 3 Working Group Charter

Michael: *wondering if this relates to Digital Publishing*
... They have a liaison to ARIA (via DPUB).

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> Accessibility tracker

Michael: *Recap from last week: if an issue is relevant to us, it should be given the a11y-tracker label. This will show up on our dashboard. There is a mechanism to ensure issues block progression of documents to CR until we've signed off on them.*

More info on issues and labelling: https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/HOWTO

Michael: If we think something needs to be resolved, we add the a11y-needs-resolution label.
... various issues were filed on topics such as CSS

Janina: is there a way to see what's been updated since our last meeting?

Michael: There doesn't seem to be [Michael gets GitHub notification emails but nobody else does]. So far the only way to check the date is to follow the link. They can't close the issues without APA being notified, but we don't necessarily get to know about their discussions automatically.
... think we need to make a pass over the dashboard in future to decide which issues are relating to accessibility

New Review Tracking

Michael: Nothing for us this week.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/03/18 16:48:58 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/XAUR has been/XAUR is to be/
Default Present: IrfanA, Léonie, (tink), Matthew_Atkinson, Joshue, janina
Present: IrfanA Léonie (tink) Matthew_Atkinson Joshue janina Joshue108
Found Scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
Inferring ScribeNick: Matthew_Atkinson

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 18 Mar 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]