WoT Discovery

17 Feb 2020



Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Christian_Glomb, Christopher_Ambler, Michael_Koster, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Zoltan_Kis, Kunihiko_Toumura
zkis, kaz


Inviting Christopher

<kaz> Kaz: we invite Christopher today again. right?

<kaz> McCool: yes

<kaz> scribenick: zkis

Wiki and GitHub repo

McCool: still setting up the github repo
... in the Discovery TF wiki there were prior discussion on discovery, we need to incorporate it somehow

<kaz> Discovery TF wiki

McCool: created an issue under WoT Security

Last meeting minutes

<kaz> Feb-10 minutes

<kaz> McCool: had further discussion about the publication schedule during the main call

<kaz> ... we'll update the WoT wiki for the publication schedule for all the deliverables

McCool: there was an action to create a revised discovery work schedule in the main WoT wiki page

<kaz> ACTION: kaz to add a note on the publication schedule to the Feb-10 minutes

McCool: past minutes approved

WoT security issue 160


<kaz> McCool: Scripting doesn't have a directory

<kaz> Zoltan: actually scripting does support directories

McCool: the proposal was to have discovery only via directories
... and Scripting using out of band authentication
... maybe consider another API for discovery

Zoltan: there are 2 issue here, architectural and scripting. I think the latter is not well argumented yet.

McCool: OK, it needs more discussion

DID review

McCool: there was discussion in the Security call on decentralized identifiers
... there is related WG work
... and also some work on discovery as well
... will have a presentation about DID; check the security minutes from today

<kaz> FYI, Feb-17 WoT Security minutes

McCool presenting DID shortly

McCool: including metadata about service endpoints, that looks much like a TD
... so should we resolve DIDs with TDs
... one of the ways making them unique is via blockchain, in which we might have TDs

<kaz> Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) v1.0

McCool: the DID group has not specifically been looking into IoT devices, so proposed a joint call
... will discuss timing in the WoT WG call
... one question is whether we need to check security schemes vs DID
... maybe a separate thing from Discovery
... but other opinions are welcome
... next, brainstorming about use cases

Use cases

McCool: collect short use cases
... in a new uses-cases readme md file

Use Cases

McCool starts recording use cases

Zoltan: Provisioning/onboarding discovery

McCool: that has multiple use cases
... one is discovering unowned devices in OCF

Christian: have a device and find out what can I do with it, or what I cannot do because lack of authentication

McCool: that is, peer to peer use case

McCool deduced another use case, Plant Automation

Christian: also, discover what services are using the devices (reverse lookup)
... but mostly what I can do with the whole installation, on a higher level

McCool: adding Smart City services
... also, Visitor, Citizen and Remote access use cases

<inserted> scribenick: kaz

McCool: any other use cases on smart city?


McCool: (creates another entry for "cloud services")
... I may want to know what devices are accessible from a certain cloud service.
... any additional thoughts for use cases?

Zoltan: we can keep it open and add more later

McCool: sure

<inserted> scribenick: zkis

McCool: we could also ask Michael Lagally to add some
... like Database of Devices
... discovery of historical data from a device

Christopher: a couple of smart home use cases
... onboarding, ownership, then configuring ACLs for different roles (visitors, etc)
... there are use cases when operator has access but beneficiary doesn't
... also, device to device and proxy roles and discovery ACL configuration

McCool: also, adding hubs, bridges
... including specific bridges like Zigbee, OCF etc
... please continue adding use cases, and later we will categorize
... also, curate them later, using templates etc
... in order to be able to merge into Architecture
... also include those use cases which are debatable that belong to Discovery
... or make PRs and create issues

Plans for next meeting

McCool: first figuring out use cases, scope, etc
... then, make proposals
... that may also be conflicting

Christian: which proposals are already on table?

McCool: in the main WoT repository, proposals folder

<McCool> https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/proposals/wot-discovery.md

McCool: there are a lot of things to discuss, but it's a good start
... counterproposals are welcome, but should be aware of existing background
... AOB?

<inserted> (none)

McCool: For next weeks agenda, please submit proposals by email


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: kaz to add a note on the publication schedule to the Feb-10 minutes

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/02/25 00:10:25 $