Dataset Exchange Working Group Teleconference

04 February 2020


alejandra, ana, AndreaPerego, Caroline, ncar, plh, riccardoAlbertoni, roba, SimonCox
Annette, DaveBrowning, Lars, PWinstanley

Meeting minutes

<Ana> Presente+ Ana

<plh> DCAT2 Recommendation

approve minuest of last meeting

<plh> January 28 notes

<riccardoAlbertoni> +1

<alejandra> +1

<Ana> +1

<Caroline> +1

<plh> +1

previous minutes: https://‌www.w3.org/‌2020/‌01/‌28-dxwg-minutes


<roba> +1

Resolution: approve minuest of last meeting

Publication of DCAT2

<alejandra> thanks to all and to riccardoAlbertoni that made the last push!

Caroline: you've done an awesome job, congratulations

<alejandra> and plh :-)

<riccardoAlbertoni> Thanks to the contributors !

<roba> +1

<plh> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌milestone/‌24

Caroline: we can spread the word that it's out

<Caroline> +1

Caroline: comments?

<plh> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌milestone/‌24

plh: can we close the last actions assiged to me?

<riccardoAlbertoni> I am fine with closing

<alejandra> I agree too

consensus is to close

<riccardoAlbertoni> thanks philippe ..

<alejandra> I also closed the milestone

Caroline: we should have actions to send emails

Caroline: is anyone writing a paper about DCAT to consolidate recommendation

riccardoAlbertoni: I have an early DCAT paper draft

ncar: the CKAN DCAT2 plugin is almost ready!

<alejandra> https://‌docs.google.com/‌spreadsheets/‌d/‌1_f5CAZv7rgUjJH5YXkmD6w5xS6GX5X2AmEp_LMptAfQ/‌edit#gid=0

alejandra: in the last meeting we shared the spreadsheet used to publicise DCAT. Please can people put their names against people to contact

alejandra: I've created a new spreadsheet so people can re-assign themselves to contacting prople/orgs

<alejandra> this should be the link to the specific worksheet: https://‌docs.google.com/‌spreadsheets/‌d/‌1_f5CAZv7rgUjJH5YXkmD6w5xS6GX5X2AmEp_LMptAfQ/‌edit#gid=560881316

Caroline: could you, alejandra, send everyone an email about filling this spreadsheet in

proposed: for all to use this spreadsheet for DCAT publicity

<riccardoAlbertoni> +1

<Caroline> +1

<Ana> +1

<roba> +1

<alejandra> +1


<AndreaPerego> +1

<SimonCox> +1

Resolution: for all to use this spreadsheet for DCAT publicity

Action: alejandra to contact all WG to use the DCAT contacts spreadsheet

<trackbot> Created ACTION-391 - Contact all wg to use the dcat contacts spreadsheet [on Alejandra Gonzalez Beltran - due 2020-02-11].


ncar: we have almost finished API demonstrations

one API: https://‌gsq.cat/‌foi/

Another API: http://‌linked.data.gov.au/‌def/

roba has almost completed his conformance testing framework

ncar: we are in discussion with other API makers about the relevance of ConnegP to them, e.g. OGC

Caroline: we need to work out subgroup meetings in 2020

Caroline: we must restart soon

Caroline: we need to bring back the ConnegP testing toolkit results to this plenary next week

Action: ncar to report conformance testing to Plenary 11th Feb

<trackbot> Created ACTION-392 - Report conformance testing to plenary 11th feb [on Nicholas Car - due 2020-02-11].

Profiles Vocabulary

we - PROF editors - see broad groups of Issues that might still be addressed by PROF

roba: PROF is published as a NOTE (ncar said 3PWD)

PROF (as a NOTE): https://‌www.w3.org/‌TR/‌dx-prof/

roba: ConnegP testing is somewhat reliant on PROF and vice versa

Action: roba to report back to Plenary about PROF on 11th Feb

<trackbot> Created ACTION-393 - Report back to plenary about prof on 11th feb [on Rob Atkinson - due 2020-02-11].


<riccardoAlbertoni> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Afuture-work

<Caroline> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Afuture-work

Caroline: we have issues that arose from DCAT2 that are so far unaddressed. Above is the link for future work DCAT2

<alejandra> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌milestone/‌27

alejandra: I was tasked to propose a first set of elements for the first DCAT3 Milestone which I have put above

alejandra: we have had discussion around future directions (in DCAT2) so some of the thoughts are reflected here, e.g. versioning

alejandra: we should reply to the RDA WG as suggested by KCoyle

<riccardoAlbertoni> +1 to include versioning and reply to RDA

Caroline: the Milestone looks fine to me, comments?

riccardoAlbertoni: I agree with alejandra, we should reply to the RDA proposal. I have seen plenty of references to DCAT WG in that doc

Caroline: if we agree, we should wait until next week to vote on RDA response, perhaps alejandra can explain to the WG

alejandra: we should follow an agile process - so we work on the Milestone and change Issues at will, rather than voting

<riccardoAlbertoni> +1 to alejandra about agile plan

<roba> +1

Caroline: sounds good

<Caroline> +1

<Ana> +1

Caroline: please alejandra email the group about DCAT3 Milestone 1

alejandra: sure

ncar: ConnegP & PROF will create next round Milestone soon

Action: alejandra to email WG about DCAT3 Milestone 1

<trackbot> Created ACTION-394 - Email wg about dcat3 milestone 1 [on Alejandra Gonzalez Beltran - due 2020-02-11].

Splitting od DXWG repository

riccardoAlbertoni: we have discussed but we've not had all WG members present at one time. We should create a GitHub issue to discuss

<alejandra> +1 to riccardoAlbertoni

<antoine> +1

<AndreaPerego> +1

<Caroline> +1

<Ana> +1

<SimonCox> +1

Action: riccardoAlbertoni to create a GitHub issue for repo splitting

<trackbot> Created ACTION-395 - Create a github issue for repo splitting [on Riccardo Albertoni - due 2020-02-11].

<SimonCox> I just updated https://‌en.wikipedia.org/‌wiki/‌Data_Catalog_Vocabulary to mention DCAT v2

Use Cases

Caroline: do we need more for the topics we are planning to work on?

Caroline: I suggest people look at the DCAT3 Milestone 1

roba: where Use Cases needed clarification, the UC document was updated. If we split repos, we can easily extend the UC doc

antoine: why would splitting of repos make this easier?

roba: the UC doc is one place everyone needs to pay attention to ensure all deliverable consistency

roba: it may make it easier to see what's going on comparted to the corrent unwhield single, large, repo

<SimonCox> +1 to splitting repositories

antoine: I think I see your point. We should make a repo for UC

roba: yes, a repo for UC, DCAT, PROF & ConnegP and perhaps Guidance, if restarted


<SimonCox> +1 to roba suggestion

<antoine> +1 for splitting UC but maybe not the rest :-)

<SimonCox> Probably needs some reflection and buy-in from the larger group

<AndreaPerego> I think we should wait until we decide an overall strategy for new versions of the spec.

Caroline: we will need to vote on repo split after GitHub issue discussion

AndreaPerego: we should split repo after discussion about WG direction

<riccardoAlbertoni> I have made a release on git for dcat rec

AndreaPerego: another issue I want to raise - editing process of DCAT3 - DCAT2 folder should probably not have any more PRs since it is forzen

AndreaPerego: we should freeze the DCAT2 ED until splitting, or not, is decided

plh: we don't need to freeze the ED since we will clone the repo. Whatever change we do now will be carried.

AndreaPerego: but we now have a link from the Rec to the ED

plh: no, it's fine to modify an ED

plh: EDs are work in progress

<SimonCox> +1 to plh - move right on!

AndreaPerego: so we cna change the current DCAT ED ready for DCAT3

plh: yup!

alejandra: the problem is still that there is a link to the latest ED in the Rec

plh: we will solve ED locations with redirects

plh: RDF files of the Rec are published via W3C website, not GitHub feezing them

Caroline: no further comments so we finish the meeting

Caroline: WG members should be proud of DCAT2! Congratulations

<riccardoAlbertoni> Thank all, bye, good night!

<AndreaPerego> Thanks, bye!

<alejandra> thanks all, and bye!

by all

<Ana> thanks, bye

Summary of action items

  1. alejandra to contact all WG to use the DCAT contacts spreadsheet
  2. ncar to report conformance testing to Plenary 11th Feb
  3. roba to report back to Plenary about PROF on 11th Feb
  4. alejandra to email WG about DCAT3 Milestone 1
  5. riccardoAlbertoni to create a GitHub issue for repo splitting

Summary of resolutions

  1. approve minuest of last meeting
  2. for all to use this spreadsheet for DCAT publicity
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 104 (Sat Dec 7 01:59:30 2019 UTC).


Succeeded: s/peter+//

Succeeded: s/hav/have/

Succeeded: s/GitHub issue voting/GitHub issue discussion/

Maybe present: antoine