Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Teleconference

22 Jan 2020


janina, jasonjgw, Matthew_Atkinson, Becka11y, Irfan, manu, JF, MichaelC, Joshue, Joshue108_, Joanmarie_Diggs, Léonie, (tink), Gottfried, christos


<janina> Some kind of Webex issue here ...

<Matthew_Atkinson> Aha, now I think I know to what issue you're referring, Janina :-).

<Matthew_Atkinson> (Is it the dial-in number?)

<janina> I'm still unable to get in on Webex ...

<janina> Looks like we're all unable audio ...

<christos_> present

<Matthew_Atkinson> Hmmm, I can't seem to join via the web-app either, and I already tried the phone line and the meeting number was rejected.

<janina> I've ping'd Michael ...

<christos_> can I pls have the webex link

<Matthew_Atkinson> I'm in now. If this web-app works it'll be good, as the sound quality is much better than the phone line (I tried the web-app last year, and had issues, but maybe it's better now).

<janina> Try again, folks. Some of us are now getting in

<scribe> scribe: becka11y

<christos_> thank you

Agenda Review & Announcements

<christos_> I cannot access the link

<christos_> could it be that I need Manisha my CEO to approve first before I can join?

Janina: agenda a bit reordered, put the short stuff first.
... asks for an receives no input on new agenda items or news

APA's Goals for 2020

Janina: Josh, Michael, and I discuss priorities and items for APA to focus on in 2020, will post to the list for discussion before we take up on a call
... work on tool that we can share with other groups to help them include a11y in there specs and such

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Michael: draft charter for Web RTC

<MichaelC> Draft WebRTC charter

Michael: WG that is being rechartered; we have submitted comments on thier tech so we are interested

Janina: we have agreed to develop use cases for Web RTC 2.0; we should be receiving a review request soon

Michael: we usually ask for a liason statement from groups we want to work with

Janina: we do need to review spec wrt a11y requirements

Michael: will request liason statement where we reference use cases

Josh: glad to see a11y mentioned in charter, happy with the liason approach

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: didn’t find any new on TR this week
... still have comments on verifiable creds, HTML, and ...

Janina: Verifiable credentials - working on use cases; have some coming from RQTF

Michael: think we can drop web of things from our list; there were editorial changes that went through our mailing list; but very complicated
... suggest having Josh look further into this

Josh: will look into but may need some support finding the correct documents

Janina: we signed off on HTML; believe I sent email to Leonie and cc’ed the list; indicated that no blocking concerns and included Matthews review

Matthew: can I self close the action for this?

Janina: yes, we can sellf close actions

Task Force Updates -- Upcoming Publications

Janina: we have a CfC out for personalization spec; mostly silence which is interpretted as acceptance but good to weigh in

<janina> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2020Jan/0000.html

Janina: wide review request; blog post in the works to further announce; ask the wider community that is affected by this tech for a close look before we go to CR
... still determining if it supports a WCAG SC directly
... Rachel has proposed and removed reference to this spec in under development for WCAG 2.2 - still up in the air; suggest invitiing Rachel to personalization TF meeting

JF: from my perspective, trying to write a normative SC based on a working draft is not wise
... this is only the first module, more is needed before using for a SC

Janina: will discuss further in TF meeting
... heard strong advice from Leonie that pronounciation should get into HTML sooner rather than later because we have a req. for browser implementation to get SSML included
... group has been polishing the explainer, hope to have a CfC soon; then we can share with WCAG to ask for their feedback as well
... Marco H. will be at ATIA and showing off this approach and getting buy in from AT vendors
... pronounciation has another doc. coming along. Perhaps we need a policy that allows our task forces to publish working drafts without requiring APA permission
... RQTF about to have CfC to publish first public WD for XUAR

Josh: is available on raw git hack - just need to get public url of correct version

<Joshue108_> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/XAUR/xaur/index.html

Josh: raw url for correct version above

Janina: Josh will be working on a blurb for the blog; looking for comments from wider community; hope to impact the design of XAUR tech from the ground up; so provide use cases and requirements to help

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

<MichaelC> close action-2227

<trackbot> Closed action-2227.

<MichaelC> action-2225?

<trackbot> action-2225 -- Janina Sajka to Review webauthn level 2 https://www.w3.org/tr/webauthn-2/ -- due 2019-12-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2225

<MichaelC> action-2224?

<trackbot> action-2224 -- Gottfried Zimmermann to Review ttml profiles for internet media subtitles and captions 1.2 https://www.w3.org/tr/ttml-imsc1.2/ -- due 2019-12-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2224

<Gottfried> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2020Jan/0020.html

Gottfried: looking at FPWD as compared to draft reviewed two years ago - it has improved; have added a section called WCAG implications; It is about captions and subtitles - do SC on captions and reflow and text spacing apply?

JF: think iit might have been referring to req. for US 21st century communications act or could be looking at MUAR spec;

Gottfried: they don’t have info in spec for users to modify sizes etc. but expect the user agent to provide mechanism to do that

JF: not surprised that US law isn’t referenced; good that they are referencing both WCAG and MUAR; have done a good job at exposing info for someone to dig into

<Gottfried> https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/WD-ttml-imsc1.2-20191128/#wcag-applications

Gottfried: they site and partiallly interpret the WCAG criteria - that is why I thought they should list more and make it more complete

scribe note: we are discussing TTML spec

JF: in some cases for 1.1.1 and 1.4.12 they say that WCAG “recommends” - but should say that WCAG “requires”

Gottfried: they have a new syntax for alt text - include it in metadata which seems okay but should point it out more; should have an introduction

JF: I think APA has provided that feedback for an introduction in the past

Gottfied: have we discussed the author vs user layout
... need to provide options for where the text is presented - not always good to have the text near the person speaking - user may need to change location as well as presentation

Janina: I believe that concept is in the MAUR

JF: from an A11y perspective we want user to be able to place or modify caption files any way they want; I don’t think there is anything in TTML that forbids that; believes it is more of a user agent req.
... not sure that modification belongs in TTML spec

Gottfried: agree but should add a note to authors that the layout/presentation might be modified

JF: believe that support is in the MAUR - maybe go to EO and request blog post to get into details

Gottfied: will write this up and share with group for further discussion

Michael: 2223 josh to review GPU for the web

<MichaelC> action-2223?

<trackbot> action-2223 -- Joshue O Connor to Review gpu for the web draft charter https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/grorg/admin/blob/wg-charter-draft/wg-charter.html -- due 2019-12-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2223

<MichaelC> action-2222

<trackbot> action-2222 -- Matthew Atkinson to Review gpu for the web draft charter https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/grorg/admin/blob/wg-charter-draft/wg-charter.html -- due 2019-12-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2222

Matthew: feel that this is very low level, graphical rendering and GPU compilation; draft spec does not mention a11y but charter does suggest that they are thinking about it

<MichaelC> action-2222: very low level, no need to track

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2222 Review gpu for the web draft charter https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/grorg/admin/blob/wg-charter-draft/wg-charter.html.

Matthew: will summarize in an emai

<MichaelC> close action-2222

<trackbot> Closed action-2222.

<MichaelC> close action-2223

<trackbot> Closed action-2223.

<MichaelC> close action-2221

<trackbot> Closed action-2221.

Janina: is under control

<MichaelC> action-2221?

<trackbot> action-2221 -- Janina Sajka to Review decentralized identifiers (dids) v1.0 https://www.w3.org/tr/did-core/ -- due 2019-12-11 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2221

<MichaelC> action-2148?

<trackbot> action-2148 -- Janina Sajka to Review web of things (wot) scripting api -- due 2019-11-30 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2148

Janina: will leave open

<MichaelC> action-2220?

<trackbot> action-2220 -- Janina Sajka to Add accessible receipting to the accessibility statement for payments -- due 2019-11-20 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2220

Michael: is tied to payment request api

Janina: will want to look at community groups for next week
... Lisa and Rachel think an annotated text track would be useful to COGA

JF: basically asking for the audio description as text track as text

Janina: we have that mechanism in HTML you can create audio description as text track

JF: but is not a WCAG requirement

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/01/22 18:03:54 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/working on credentials/working on use cases/
Succeeded: s/Rache/Rachel/
Succeeded: s/HTM/HTML/
Succeeded: s/to review/permission/
Succeeded: s/XUAR/XAUR/
Present: janina jasonjgw Matthew_Atkinson Becka11y Irfan manu JF MichaelC Joshue Joshue108_ Joanmarie_Diggs Léonie (tink) Gottfried christos
Found Scribe: becka11y
Inferring ScribeNick: Becka11y

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]