Silver Community Group Teleconference

29 Oct 2019


jeanne, janina, Cyborg, bruce_bailey, Chuck, CharlesHall, KimD, shari, Peter, Lauriat


<scribe> Scribe: Lauriat

Updates from Content subgroups

<Zakim> bruce_bailey, you wanted to thank Cybel

Bruce: Cyborg walked me through the examples. I'm worried about extracting things into a standalone document that we can share in FPWD. It helped me understand just how much more work there is to go.
... In terms of developing content, I don't have significant updates, but I have a clearer picture of what it'll look like.

Jeanne: I can talk about clear words. We finished the functional needs and are extracting the information from the needs and plugging it into the plain language prototype.

<bruce_bailey> I don't have significant updates to Audio Description piece which I have lead

Jeanne: It was a little more challenging than we expected, we used the same template that you were shown, Bruce.
... We have some tests and methods sketched out, and we'll meet tomorrow to refine the tests and methods. We think we'll have new content that shows new kinds of tests and methods.

<bruce_bailey> AD is linked from wiki, here is the URL: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BJzDxztJhd_hRBQSO0UtWECmUegA-hwucedrayB9VEs

Process streamlining

Jeanne: We need to consolidate the various templates that different people are working from, and we need a solid document to explain how contributions work.

<bruce_bailey> +1 to agree that process is repeatable

<KimD> +1

<janina> Also +1 to repeatable

<KimD> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10zDtAvu0vP4BpZ4yYqupj7nDfk1jPNnbnHmnby_AGn8/edit#heading=h.8j6pwbsnl608

Jeanne: If you look at the Silver wiki, which we should reorganize to make it easier to work with, the content for Silver content section has a link to process, broken down into parts to follow.

<KimD> *I'm having the same issue. Never-ending cold. Ugh.

Bruce: We don't really have a template. The examples are all kind of works in progress, so you need to extract the template from there in order to write your own. That's pretty challenging.

Jeanne: It is, yes.

Bruce: The other challenging thing is that the descriptive hyperlink text in the wiki is different from the heading that you end up at may be differnt from the document file name (tab name in the browser), so it makes it hard to tell if you've arrived at the right thing.

<KimD> +1 to fewer docs!

Jeanne: Agreed. I'd like to reduce the number of documents created, as it makes it more difficult to keep up with the newest, most correct versions and ensure that we all stay on the same page [editor: sorry].


Jeanne: Please edit the same documents rather than making new versions, Google Docs has a document history feature, so we won't really lose any of the content.

<bruce_bailey> s/different from the first heading that you end up at/different from the first heading on the page that you end up at

<KimD> +1 to sharing and "requiring" naming conventions

Jeanne: And please keep me in the loop so that I can keep things organized. Should we include naming conventions in the process?

Janina & Lauriat: Yes, please!

Organizing files and versioning

Google Docs history help page: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/190843

Accessibility for Docs editors help page: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6282736

<jeanne> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Main_Page#Silver_Content_Writing_Resources

That last one has a section "Make your document or presentation more accessible"

<bruce_bailey> Personally, I have been overwhelmed trying to keep track of the docs and have been ignoring the history feature because I think that will just get me more lost!

+1 to that

<KimD> Wiki: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Main_Page

<jeanne> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Main_Page#Silver_Content_Writing_Resources

Jeanne: If there's a better way to organize the wiki, I'm happy to do that. It's written in historic order, which may not be helpful with where we're at.

Thank you for updating the wiki, Jeanne! Without that, I'd remain *entirely* lost.

Jeanne: [reads initial sections of the wiki]

<janina> +1 to keeping the old stuff, but in a set aside archive!

<bruce_bailey> +1 thanks for that work pulling archives to separate wiki pages

Jeanne: There was a fabulous study done on how easy each of the SCs were to learn, use, and teach. It has some great information as we work on migration.

Janina: I haven't read that, it sounds very interesting.

Jeanne: On the research archive page, the section on research results has each of the projects done. I put that study at the top of the list, second one down.

<jeanne> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ESlNcehaYoP8C3R_WSPkuuB17_c94cL6ih7ml4rpjsw/

Jeanne: I think they had several hundred respondents, David wrote up a summary.
... We used this study to pick out the original content for what to put into Silver for FPWD (easy, medium, and hard ones).
... There's also a paper on internet of things accessibility that you might be interested in.
... There are also nine papers that students did, too small sample sizes for our purposes, but some of them are very well done.
... We also have links to the prototypes, with individual archives for each one.
... There's also a view of Silver as an editors' draft, a mock-up of how Silver could work.
... We then have a conformance section. Current work, conformance proposals from July, how conformance works in Japan.
... Then Silver content, which needs help with organization.
... First link goes to the main snapshot, then a link to the working migration map.
... [reads links]
... Then the SCs we're migrating to Silver. Any original documents, and any additional ones as people let me know about them.
... I didn

t have the last color contrast documents.

Jeanne: Alternative text is another where I think I don't have the current documents.

Cyborg: You do have the most recent one, as well as for color contrast.
... You do have older links for others, though.

Jeanne: Please send the newest links to me and I'll update them.

<Zakim> bruce_bailey, you wanted to ask about alt

Bruce: Seems like links two and three go to the same document?

Jeanne: From that original version, did you capture the tests?

Cyborg: None of us have it, we never saw it.

Jeanne: I'm going to put a list of how to name files and where to put files. We're asking people to use the history and naming history of files so that we don't have as many newly created files.

Cyborg: I don't think we had a rubric, and the only thing we did was create a new document to merge the two others together.

Jeanne: We worked on it at AccessU, but then a new document came up which didn't have the rubric, I'll look for the original.
... The next section: Writing resources. Link to the test writing proposal that we need to discuss.
... Then old writing resources that we shouldn't use (marked as such).
... Link to the overall Google Drive folder that should have all of the drafts. Then New Content, proposals from the Task Forces that never made it into WCAG.
... In the New Content, we have old documents that have ideas and things to add that we didn't want to forget.
... Then FPWD, with the explainer and FPWD work.
... Then links to meeting information.

Janina: Some kind of clear delineation between current stuff and archived (for background) would help.


<KimD> +1

Jeanne: I can do that.

<Zakim> bruce_bailey, you wanted to say my +1 was for archives already in place

Bruce: I think you have a good model going, overall. I'd like to see topics 2 - 8 down to one, really, and maybe into sub-headings.

<janina> +1 to Bruce! Less is more!

Cyborg: I wondering whose interest at this stage we're intending to serve. New people, people currently working on Silver? People wanting to look at the FPWD work?

Jeanne: It's designed for two groups and a person: So Jeanne can find things. [editor: and Shawn!] For those working on things and for anyone new to Silver so that they can learn about the work to start up.
... For others in and out the WG to look at the project plan, research questions, etc.

Janina: A good conversation to have, as we expect AG WG overall to start turning their attention to this.

Jeanne: I agree, and I'm happy to do this.

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/10/29 14:31:46 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/same template that you showed/same template that you were shown/
Succeeded: s/that the heading in the wiki/that the descriptive hyperlink text in the wiki/
FAILED: s/different from the first heading that you end up at/different from the first heading on the page that you end up at/
Succeeded: s/is different from the document/may be differnt from the document file name (tab name in the browser)/
Succeeded: s/for pulling archives/thanks for that work pulling archives/
Succeeded: s/maybe into sub-chapters/maybe into sub-headings/
Default Present: jeanne, janina, Cyborg, bruce_bailey, Chuck, CharlesHall, KimD, shari, Peter, Lauriat
Present: jeanne janina Cyborg bruce_bailey Chuck CharlesHall KimD shari Peter Lauriat
Found Scribe: Lauriat
Inferring ScribeNick: Lauriat

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 29 Oct 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]