Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

22 Aug 2019


Abi, Rachael, Fazio, janina, Jennie, LisaSeemanKest, JohnRochford, MichaelC, johnkirkwood
Justine, Pascalides


<Rachael> clear agenda

<scribe> scribe:lisaseemankest

Review Action Items

<Abi> my mic isn't working but I can scribe

<Rachael> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage


janinas actin still pending

jastine will send an email on hers

glossary - short staffed this week, but hopefuly next week

<Abi> I can hear everyone but you can't hear me

<Rachael> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11IKqjRFvkRd2dAfUiyc5whhB3yIYXvSiirWct7KQIB0/edit#gid=0

<Rachael> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage

john has done next stage of getting coga feedback, now needs ag feedback

<johnkirkwood> Undo errors

<johnkirkwood> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pcg6ixAfuwlo6jb2tkZBGTDhF0fAiO49h21E6HCbQ6I/edit#heading=h.s1rdduthbnva

john r asks what s going on about waifinding

<Rachael> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pcg6ixAfuwlo6jb2tkZBGTDhF0fAiO49h21E6HCbQ6I/edit#heading=h.s1rdduthbnva

<Rachael> JohnK: Undo errors link is above. There is some feedback that may need to be done. Good for commenting.

<Rachael> ...There is confusion about the indoor/outdoor wayfinding comments. I added comments to the indoor paper. I need to check the status of the outdoor wayfinding.

<scribe> scribe:lisaseemankest

<Rachael> John R: We had agreed to do separate papers and then combine them.

<Rachael> ack: LisaSeemanKest

<Rachael> Lisa: Last week we went through the status on issue papers. I had a link to the one from John R. We thought John K had things to add through the google docs. Way to move forward, might be to have it in the Google Docs. Is that OK with you?

<johnkirkwood> +1

<Rachael> ...Or do you prefer to have it in HTML? But not sure how to gather feedback from others in group.

<Rachael> John R: The wayfinding paper has been done for a long time. If others want to contribute by comments, that is fine. John and I will get together by phone later today to discuss how best to write John's paper.

<Rachael> Lisa: Are you OK with it as a google docs?

<Rachael> John R: Its in a google doc now.

<JohnRochford> https://docs.google.com/document/d/11C_kmCtPrzwJjrKDmHJAd8LCQEMCW-Mi9dEVoF9CG78/edit

<johnkirkwood> great

john had it already as a google doc

<JohnRochford> By "john" Lisa means "John Rochford".

<Rachael> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WhZAbswvPHs7A3stfqM_ATsaBHPeGbHtARcmaKMck1U/edit?ts=5d52ed96#heading=h.n3esw3alr309

david machdonald stated afordence sc, but needs somone to head the group

(lisa does not have spell check on irc)

lisa: we can give gidence to abi is she wants to head it

<JohnRochford> Lisa, I just requested edit access to the WayFinding issue paper on Google docs (URL above). For some reason, I don't have it.

abi: probebly beter to have someone more used to wcag on it

rahceal: david macdonald can help

lAbi will take a look

silver: protoypes only lisa made a bit of progess

<Rachael> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kD1zq1CSvrIB154R9WzdZX-T9YD5Ydct1Yky2wppeyI/edit

(lisa's proposal)

anyone able - to take up mantal health

<Rachael> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G9SJSiAT-SYDVNxBfwOe7A6VPqsmX4Ua0QT7-NrfQTA/edit

rachael: seeing what new reserch is there

lisa: when web stafe make thing worse

<Rachael> Lisa: research on continuous interruptions

<Rachael> ...design choice to allow people to opt into notifications. Mode to focus, mode to check environment with threats. Notifications can put someone into mode of looking for threats.

rachael: issues with anxity

<Rachael> Rachael: Anxiety?

DAVID taking it on!!!!

ABI: cross over with working memory and attention

etsi standad mobile group is making a mappin g

Lisa: we have mapping at a the end of the reaserch module

rachael: please pass on reaserch and put it in the comments

janina: this is part of the core of how technologies today
... and we need to document this. critical
... shopping is intruped even for pelople who are blind, and you lose what you are doing

buy the wrong thing

<Fazio> +1 to Janina

there is a book "deep work" on the topic

<Rachael> Lisa: This issue paper is important. Technology is becoming ubiquitous. If it is increasing mental health issues, we need to document that. This issue paper will need to be version 1.

<Rachael> Lisa: If we are increasing people suffering from anxiety, there is a large impact.

<Rachael> ack: Fazio

david: we try and lump everythign together - fatege, memory etc... why are they dumped together?

<johnkirkwood> +1 to DF

<johnkirkwood> +1

john r: we fcus on function rather then clincal. where is the new function

<Fazio> bipolar disorder effects memory

<Fazio> stress blocks memory cell generation in the brain

<Rachael> Lisa: Some historical because of template. We focused on depression and anxiety. Reduces focus.

<Fazio> so that makes sense

<Rachael> ...that is why we found overlap. The overlap is enormous. Also PTSD was included.

<Rachael> ..depression reduces memory. You give up much quicker. Cognitive load problem. Maybe we should call it attention problems. Often there is overlap. Don't throw them out, but maybe lower down.

<johnkirkwood> memory, attention, learning

<Rachael> ...maybe safety should be first.

<JohnRochford> Here is a link to the primary cognitive functions we have addressed: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Gap_Analysis/autism#Cognitive_functions

david: that makes sence, to start with functions\

maybe a breidf overview explaining that

stress bloacks the brain from making new memory cells

also https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-user-research/#research-on-cognitive-function

rachael: silver is asking - would some voices triger anxity

janina - a charicterstic of how things are coming accross

john r: it might be the emotion atteched to the voice- the inflection

David: this is part of web personlization

<Rachael> Lisa: Capturing personalization as part of this is important.

<janina> +1 to John. Note that theatrical actors practice at learning how to trigger the full range of human emotional response as part of their artistic expertise.

BBC Suggested SC

<Rachael> https://docs.google.com/document/d/17lC7W9t-mV2ikRBlK4qhJN3Q13rA8yYZ7mcA-mcUqC8/edit?usp=sharing

proposal from bbc

<Rachael> Use a font style that is appropriate to your audience. Minimise the occurrence of imposter letter shapes that are designed to be very similar to other letter shapes as part of the typeface’s visual style. Minimise the occurrence of mirroring letter shapes. Letters should be easily distinguishable from one another. Humanist typefaces are generally more legible at smaller sizes than grotesque typefaces. Ensure the typeface has adequate letter spacing. Ther[CUT]

rachael - some can be testable

a some less so

<JohnRochford> +q

<Rachael> ack #

abi: pragmaticly - evidence is inconsitent and will be contisouse, and contradictory reaserch

rachael we have a lot on our plate for scs

john r: he asked gatherth about testing the bbc font

<Rachael> Lisa: 1. to what extent is this usability? That would be a concern. We mostly do things that stop people. Most of ours are barriers. I am completely stuck because of this.

<Rachael> ...I'm not sure where the line is that font makes it impossible to read.

<JohnRochford> By "testing" I mean comprehension testing.

<Rachael> ...it may be that we can incorporate into our design guide. 2. If we do want to move forward, I think a good place to incorporate this would be CSS. Enable a font that ...

<Rachael> ....allow users to pick their own font.

<Rachael> ...research here and Microsoft as well, showed spacing after comma and full stop helps. Enabling user to select their own font and change spacing is very important. Ideal way. That completely bypasses the issue Abi raised because people pick the font that works for them.

<Zakim> janina, you wanted to ask Lisa whether she thinks a css-aam might help solve font and typographic spacing issues?

john r: coga groups prefer large text, maybe becuse it crouds out distraction

janina: accessibility mapping for css is a strong possiblity

<Fazio> we did font dtudies on kids with dyslexia for a global fast food corp last year results were super varied

<Rachael> Janina: Make sure it gets on issue list for AAM to manage that. CSS meeting with ARIA and APA.

<Fazio> again we personalization is the solution

css meeitn with aria and apa with css - we should add to the list

janina/lisa action

lisa: coga and gareth in the loop

<Fazio> a11y Director wanted to implement user profile capability were personalization was paramount

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/08/22 15:03:48 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: Abi Rachael Fazio janina Jennie LisaSeemanKest JohnRochford MichaelC johnkirkwood
Regrets: Justine Pascalides
Found Scribe: lisaseemankest
Inferring ScribeNick: LisaSeemanKest
Found Scribe: lisaseemankest
Inferring ScribeNick: LisaSeemanKest

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 22 Aug 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]