Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

10 Jul 2019


janina, Becka11y, tink, MichaelC, irfan, JF, Joshue, Matthew_Atkinson, IanPouncey, Joanmarie_Diggs, Gottfried, Joshue108_, JF_


<scribe> scribe: Gottfried

CSS Catchup

Janina: Find out who is going to be at TPAC

Ian: I will not be at TPAC. But can make some calls.
... Can call in from UK.
... Joanie and Amy were responding.
... We need to have recruitments, then assing tickets to people.
... AAM is the other topic for TPAC.

Janina: What do we want the AAM to support?

Ian: Get involvement from browser vendors.

AAM = Accessibility API Mapping?

Ian: Transformed content behaved different than intended by the CSS working group.
... There are individual members that are interested. But need companies as well.

Janina: How to recruit at TPAC?

<Zakim> joanie, you wanted to ask about making NVDA developers invited experts and also see if we can get them to TPAC

Joanie: CSS people are not implementers, not screenreader implementers nor users. How can they think about what a screenreader should say?
... Screenreader developers may not like their ideas.
... End users may not like what CSS spec authors wrote.
... Task force with NVDA developers?

Janina: Trivial, but need to think about funding transportation. There is no charge to attend TPAC.
... Would love to have them involved.

Ian: Agree with this. Gap between standard and reality.
... AAM is needed to help the CSS wg understand the reality.

Janina: Who will have the time to write this AAM?

Josh: Yes, we need experts to be involved.

Janina: Joanie could get them involved. If i can help, i will do so.

Joanie: Maybe some experts could support this by posting comments on Github.

Janina: Task forces can be very focused on their particular task.
... Also need to think about non-screenreader AT.

Ian: More challenging, but right.

Janina: Canvas, pronunciation, SSML, ...
... Who might be interested in making CSS behave better?
... Just 2-3 more people

Irfan: I will see who can be there.

Ian: There is a CSS-AAM repository, will open a TPAC 2019 issue.

<IanPouncey> https://github.com/w3c/css-aam/issues/3

Ian: Feel free to post to this issue, or to the CSS-tf mailing list.

Janina: When can we connect again on this call?

Ian: Should work for the call in 2 weeks.
... Jul 24 then
... We can continue by email and on the issue.

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina: Several workshops to report of.

TPAC 2019 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

Janina: Starting with ideas, coming from CSS perspective.
... Irfan will contribute from pronunciation.

Workshop Updates

Matthew: The workshop was awesome. Thank you for your support on the paper.
... Accessibility was touched upon in many sessions. We managed to raise some awareness.
... Xbox team from MS provided a good industry perspective.
... Also somebody reported about access issues for persons with motor impairment.
... Paciello Group contacted me about language issues.
... If you have questions, let me know.
... There will be a discussion on next RQTF meeting.
... Luis Rodriguez
... I will pop some links here...

Janina: Gaming people on WebGPU?

<Joshue108_> Great question Janina

Matthew: Yes, it was discussed.

<Joshue108_> https://www.w3.org/community/gpu/

Janina: How can we influence this? Person?
... Gaming should be interested in that.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Links about the W3C Workshop on Web Games The Paciello Group 'blog post (summary): https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/07/accessibility-at-the-w3c-workshop-on-web-games/ Thread on APA mailing list (links to my rather technical summary): https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2019Jul/0026.html

Matthew: I can find out who was involved in WebGPU.
... Accessibility questions were welcomed at the workshop.

Janina: Big opportunity to get it right with WebGPU.
... Hard to backtrack and take care of GL issues.
... We should focus on the new approach - easier to achieve building it in from the start.

Matthew: Depends on what sort of adaptations we want to make.
... Microsoft released a toolkit "seeing VR" - a set of plugins for unity to make it more accessible.
... Some are post-processing filters, some have more semantics.

Josh: Happy to hear this, and for the opportunity to progress.
... Looks like moving into an object-oriented architecture with overlaid semantics.
... Inheritance, encapsulation may help.

Janina: There is a WebXR workshop in the coming week. Judy and Jason will attend.
... I submitted quick-and-dirty the position on an upcoming data model for transportation, with accessibility concerns.
... I presume it will get accepted. Can stop in San Francisco on my way to Japan.

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2019Jul/0022.html

Janina: There is another workshop coming up - let me look this up.
... Boarding and unboarding handoff requirements are the issue.
... Can i send my picture to the driver because they should see me rather than i them?

Task Force Updates

Janina: Personlization wds to get published. CfC running.
... No substantive comments so far on the CAPTCHA paper.

Irfan: Making progress on pronunciation. Will evaluate the timeline by end of this month.

Horizontal reviews https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/175

Michael: On the inclusive XR workshop, i received comments. On discussions regarding privacy on the workshop.
... Do we need to comment on this?

Josh: I might ping Leonie about this.
... Might be a whole workshop on itself.

Janina: Comments on CAPTCHA paper mirror that pwds are concerned about others know about their disability, except if they want a particular service.
... You want those places to protect your data.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Discussion on whether we have a comment on IoT architecture...

Michael: Got a comment on Jun 24, but long and not easy to understand. Can somebody transform this?

Janina: I think it was about describing graphics.

Michael: A lot of code - not sure what they would do with this comment.

Janina: I think the code is just illustration on how to annotate graphics.

Josh: Yes, markup example.
... If you need help from me for clarification, let me know.

Michael: We have an approved comment, so we should send it.

Janina: Will help with this.

<MichaelC> Fetch Metadata Request Headers

Michael: From Web Applications Security wg.
... Servers can be informed about the purpose of requests (image loading, user clicking, ...)
... Not sure about security here - just fake headers

<Zakim> JF_, you wanted to say that there is likely a direct association here with Personalization

John: Use of symbols is its own language. We have open questions.
... How can we notify helper agents on marking up documents with symbol sets?
... Alternatives: <link rel> or schema.org
... No cross-side vs. cross-side. Proxy servers could accept a document and apply changes.

Janina: Could you compose this as a comment?

John: It may be too technical for me. I can start writing, and then have a conversation with privacy folks.

Janina: Becky, can you support this?
... Need to describe our use cases and ask for supporting them.

<JF_> https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki/Options-for-symbol#option-6---additional-implementation---linking-in-metadata-to-a-mapping-file

Janina: Should have a follow-up call.

John: These are working notes from a call i had.

<MichaelC> ACTION: becky to review Fetch Metadata Request Headers

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2203 - Review fetch metadata request headers [on Becky Gibson - due 2019-07-17].

<JF_> https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki/July-8th-notes-on-Options-for-symbol

John: This is the correct URL (above).

<MichaelC> action-2203: https://www.w3.org/TR/fetch-metadata/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2203 Review fetch metadata request headers.

<MichaelC> action-2203: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Fetch_Metadata_Request_Headers

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2203 Review fetch metadata request headers.

<MichaelC> WebXR Device API

<MichaelC> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2019Jul/0012.html

Michael: They sent an explicit review request to us.
... They are probably planning on advancing to CR soon.
... It has been on our list for a while.
... It looks like it will advance and we should take care of this.

<MichaelC> close action-2188

<trackbot> Closed action-2188.

<MichaelC> ACTION: jason to review WebXR Device API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2204 - Review webxr device api [on Jason White - due 2019-07-17].

<MichaelC> ACTION: gottfried to review WebXR Device API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2205 - Review webxr device api [on Gottfried Zimmermann - due 2019-07-17].

Michael: They probably want feedback sooner or later.

Janina: Will let them know we are working on a feedback.

- Adjourned -

<MichaelC> action-2204: https://www.w3.org/TR/webxr/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2204 Review webxr device api.

<MichaelC> action-2205: https://www.w3.org/TR/webxr/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2205 Review webxr device api.

<MichaelC> action-2204: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebXR_Device_API

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2204 Review webxr device api.

<MichaelC> action-2205: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebXR_Device_API

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2205 Review webxr device api.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: becky to review Fetch Metadata Request Headers
[NEW] ACTION: gottfried to review WebXR Device API
[NEW] ACTION: jason to review WebXR Device API

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/07/10 17:03:51 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Cathcup/Catchup/
Succeeded: s/report/reported/
Succeeded: s/WebGTU/WebGPU/
Succeeded: s/evalute/evaluate/
Succeeded: s/last/list/
Default Present: janina, Becka11y, tink, MichaelC, irfan, JF, Joshue, Matthew_Atkinson, IanPouncey, Joanmarie_Diggs, Gottfried, Joshue108_, JF_
Present: janina Becka11y tink MichaelC irfan JF Joshue Matthew_Atkinson IanPouncey Joanmarie_Diggs Gottfried Joshue108_ JF_
Found Scribe: Gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: Gottfried

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 10 Jul 2019
People with action items: becky gottfried jason

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]