Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

26 Jun 2019


janina, Becka11y, tink, MichaelC, irfan, JF, Joshue108


<scribe> scribe: becka11y

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina: asking for any new items?

Leonie: I have a few items - we will take up under other business

Janina: interesting remote control to support eye gaze. It appears comcast has implemented

CAPTCHA Update https://w3c.github.io/apa/captcha/

Janina: decision is to publish, no objections during CFC; internationalization sent more comments; there are 2 github comments - one that Janina understands and another one from Addison that Janina isn’t quite sure about

Michael: publication has happened; looks like we have addressed comments but have not closed them. Needs more information to close;

Janina: will make I18N requested edits within the editor’s branch
... will send announcement to the WAI Announce list
... this was our second published wide review, hoping it is the last; We feel very good about the document

Asked about the comment that we received from a company that had another (hard to understand) technology

Janina: Will respond that we are trying to capture the different approaches based on the a11y, we are not trying to capture all different possible types

TPAC 2019 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

Janina: price for registration has gone up as of June 21
... hoping to start sending emails to other working groups we want to meet with; Personalization and Pronounciation have issues to discuss; Thursday after lunch we are scheduled to meet with publishing

Joshue: there may be topics for web things

Janina: may also want to interface with media group; need to introduce MAUR to other groups
... second screen is meeting - from MAUR and WebRTC perspectives

JF: need to take a close look at what second screen is doing; might also want to look into a group that was trying to do a “cloud browser” where all of the computation is happening on the cloud and dropping pixels on the screen. The group didn’t really think it all the way through - for example how to handle input.

I am not able to go to TPAC

<JF> Likewise I send TPAC regrets

Task Force Updates

Janina: personalization has 4 documents to publish; I will create a CFC in the near future
... conversation about different pronounciation approaches since Leonie is on the call
... should we prototype using xml - and data dash?
... end goal is reliable text to speech output. example correct pronounciation of “tears in your eyes”
... want to prototype different options
... are looking at SSML as one option, browsers that support will use and browsers that don’t will ignore

Leonie: is SSML an active spec?

JF: remember there was an opportunity (perhaps at TPAC) we did connect the interested parties and spec editor
... we may want to discuss with TAG having a double dash attribute

Michael: reading the data dash spec it appears that multiple hyphens/dashes are allowed
... it doesn’t look like there is an owner for SSML - can try to scope a new working group

Leonie: is this moot because SSML is not rendered into the DOM currently?
... will try to find a thread about this with the web speech community group and browser vendors

Michael: SSML has its own set of attributes is not just an attribute; not sure couldn’t just add a speech element similar to how we add math

Leonie: if the speech elements/info are not in the DOM they won’t be mapped into the accessibility tree for the screen readers to use
... CSS speech can be used to control some aspects of speech but that isn’t enough to solve the pronounciation problem
... at the moment the screen readers that support do not get this information from the DOM and have to scrape the code

Janina: that opens the question do we need to enhance the accessibility tree to get this information supported?

Michael: ARIA has done this in the past but is not a simple path

Leonie: suggest meeting with the various browser vendor contacts

Janina: melanie from Microsoft, Marcos Cacerec from Firefox, Alice from Google, and James Craig from apple

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask about double-dashed attributes and to note that NVDA does support a plugin architecture

JF: NVDA screen reader supports a plug-in architecture so that may help to push the ideas

Janina: for our POC we will use data-ssml-foo to get something working by TPAC; and perhaps ask browser vendors for their perference for implementation; Ask Markku to drive this
... emphasize the value of proceeding not the method of prototype implementation
... will need to declare languages used within the content at the beginning

JF: sounds like a mechanism for metadata - should talk to benetech or schema.org

Janina: language declaration is important in many contexts

<tink> The thread on the Web Speech API repo that has some useful insight into SSML support in the browser [17:23] You have joined #apa

<tink> [17:23] The topic is 'APA Teleconference; Wednesday 26 June at 1600Z' (set by janina on 22 June 2019 17:51:30)

<tink> [17:23] Becka11y: Janina: personalization has 4 documents to publish; I will create a CFC in the near future

<tink> https://github.com/w3c/speech-api/issues/37

Horizontal reviews https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Michael: no new horizonal reviews

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: Web of things

Janina: Josh was going to send a comment to the CFC and is still working on the architecture document

Michael: will review the draft comment and then send it along

<MichaelC> Audiobook Profile for Web Publications

Michael: new WD - audio book profile for web publications

Janina: not overly worried since group has lots of experience; should probably at least read

<MichaelC> ACTION: janina to review Audiobook Profile for Web Publications

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2200 - Review audiobook profile for web publications [on Janina Sajka - due 2019-07-03].

<MichaelC> action-2200: https://www.w3.org/TR/audiobooks/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2200 Review audiobook profile for web publications.

<MichaelC> action-2200: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Audiobook_Profile_for_Web_Publications

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2200 Review audiobook profile for web publications.

<MichaelC> CSS Animation Worklet API

Michael: provides a scripted interface for animations; allows them to work on a separate thread …

Janina: Need to find out where/how CSS wants to document how animations can be controlled? We need to know what spec to review

Janina; we plan to reach out to CSS at TPAC with a list of issues to discuss

Michael: can’t find an open issue to CSS on Janina’s question

Other Business

<tink> https://www.w3.org/2019/05/webapps-charter.html

Leonie: Web Apps working group charter; have raised the requirments to have security, privacy, and accessibility sections required

<tink> https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/130#issuecomment-505542309

Leonie: a discussion within W3 process WG on horizontal review process; I have drafted a document to better specify horizonal reviews; have gotten some review and will incorporate

Janina: asks for a link;

Leonie: will send an email with link and details
... has put together a proposal for a workshop on XR; am going to an XR Access symposium in NYC next month

<tink> XRAccess Sypmosium https://www.xraccess.org/

Janina: RQTF has already started to look into use cases and requiements that cut across several groups; webRTC, XR, and MAUR, etc

<JF> +1 to skipping next week

Janina: propose skipping the meeting next week since is day before a US holiday

no objections - no meeting next week

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: janina to review Audiobook Profile for Web Publications

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/06/26 17:03:05 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Marco/Markku/
Present: janina Becka11y tink MichaelC irfan JF Joshue108
Regrets: Gottfried
Found Scribe: becka11y
Inferring ScribeNick: Becka11y
Found Date: 26 Jun 2019
People with action items: janina

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]