Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference

08 May 2019


paul_grenier, Sam, Roy, Dee, Irfan_Ali, janina, SteveNoble_, Christine


<Roy> scribe: Sam

TPAC 2019

Irfan: Registrations for TPAC open, encouraging others to prepare.

Janina: Need to organise topics to bring together with other TFs (esp. CSS). Need to gather these in advance before Janina can approach these other groups to coordinate meetings. TPAC page prepared for Agenda requests. Janina to check on those.

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

Irfan: will work with Roy to add to the TPAC/Meeting Agenda.

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/2019/09/TPAC/schedule.html

Mark: Dev events at TPAC - is that of interest for the TF group?
... will follow up, further investigate, Will share next week with group.

User Scenarios

Irfan: Content added by Christine and Sam. Anyone else looked through the scenarios?

Paul: worked on the md version. Will remove the md, doesn't relate to the current document.

Sam: Mea Culpa

<mhakkinen> was that usability.gov or usability.org?

Christine: the content at the start.

Janina: did we get interviews from cog learning? Sam: not at this point. Janina: to think more on that.

Mark: Educational assessment context has need of read aloud. Christine and ETS could provide further info on read aloud e.g. State-based requirements for assessments.

Irfan: Katie(?), a good contact for students with the Uni/Higher Ed setting. Will reach out to her.
... rec-track and note track - two kinds of documents. Current focus is on Note Track.

<paul_grenier> https://w3c.github.io/pronunciation/user-scenarios/

Irfan: request TF members to read and suggest, provide feedback.

Mark: If there are additional items to add, where to place? Paul: need to agree on workflow. Not a clear path. Clarification needed.

Irfan: There needs to be a standard process to check-in/out and make a pull request. Any information on how to use, please reach out to Irfan.

Gap Analysis

Mark: Steve and Mark first meeting on 4/7/2019. Initial proposal of a descriptive matrix of the speech control features.
... how do screen readers render emphasis. Janina: not aware of use. Mark: might be possible, but not taken up by vendors. Steve: Narrator - capable of rendering emphasis, will look through.
... will post the matrix after review (today).

Steve: to add to the article referenced, Narrator provides information (meta) not the way screen reader pronounces.

Mark: In educational/assessment settings, the need for emphasis is there. There is no other way to represent those with screen readers. Possible ATs could consume existing <em> markup.

Paul: Web VTT - reading aloud video/audio track - could benefit from pronunciation. A case where emphasis is needed.

Mark: News reading context on emphasis and control of news stories. E.g. News Item on Amazon Echo using news reader for TTS. Amazon are using SSML for their TTS.

Irfan: CSS speech documents - expired, but proposes we could consider adding or at least reviewing that document?

Mark: Supports the idea of reviewing CSS use cases and scenarios that's available, but the CSS TF is not pursuing pronunciation.

<Irfan_Ali> https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/NOTE-css3-speech-20180605/

Irfan: stressed the importance of reviewing the CSS document in order for this TF to identify gaps.

Use case document

Irfan: Are people receiving github notifications? Chris yes. Janina - needs to ;)
... reiterates Approach - pull request, following github approach

Paul: will submit each Use Case as a separate commit to GitHub.
... will follow up with others later this week.

Dee: working more on User Stories with the ETS group. Will talk with Irfan offline.


Irfan: Has added timeline on the WIKI. First public working draft before TPAC 2019 meeting - August 2019.

<Roy> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/wiki#Timeline

Roy: Has concerns on the date - Shouldn't the APA review this before TPAC?

<paul_grenier> I need to drop.

Janina: We can do that with the APA - even today in the TF Topic Agenda.

other business

Irfan: Membership, participation in Pronunciation TF. Have yet to hear back from those who highlighted interest. Will report back on membership and mention next week.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/05/08 15:00:04 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/red track/ rec-track/
Present: paul_grenier Sam Roy Dee Irfan_Ali janina SteveNoble_ Christine
Found Scribe: Sam
Inferring ScribeNick: Sam
Found Date: 08 May 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]