DXWG DCAT subgroup teleconference 30 January 2019 21:00 UTC

30 January 2019

Meeting minutes

approve agenda


Resolved: agenda OK

approve minutes of last meeting

<DaveBrowning> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2019/‌01/‌23-dxwgdcat-minutes

<PWinstanley> +1

<alejandra> +1


Resolved: minutes approved

<DaveBrowning> +1


<DaveBrowning> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌track/‌actions/‌open


Clarify timing on Annette's action from last week - was discussed in plenary and OK now

Action: https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌track/‌actions/‌280 can be closed

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

Defer discussion of Andrea's actions for when he joins meeting

https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌track/‌actions/‌282 respec issues are affecting us

public comments

<DaveBrowning> https://‌lists.w3.org/‌Archives/‌Public/‌public-dxwg-comments/

a lot more traffic on comments list now!

Comment on DCAT - 2019-01-28 Daniel Pop https://‌lists.w3.org/‌Archives/‌Public/‌public-dxwg-comments/‌2019Jan/‌0013.html

need to clarify documentation that accrualPeriodicity gives the maximum temporal resolution available for a Dataset, but Distributions might have different spacings

Action: DaveBrowning to respond to Pop

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

Hello AndreaPerego can you report on any actions https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌track/‌actions/‌open

... do we still have to respond to Ine?

<alejandra> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌track/‌actions/‌278

<alejandra> https://‌lists.w3.org/‌Archives/‌Public/‌public-dxwg-wg/‌2019Jan/‌0363.html

AndreaPerego: importnat comments on introduction of Services to DCAT
… some happy, some see it as disruptive to their current way of doing things
… worried that they suddenly become non-conformant

<alejandra> The big note about the slight change of semantics of Distributions is in the distribution section: https://‌w3c.github.io/‌dxwg/‌dcat/#Class:Distribution

<Zakim> alejandra, you wanted to ask about services implementations and background compatibility re: distributions

<PWinstanley> +1 to alejandra - we cannot make the previous inferences with the current model

alejandra: it can be argued that DCAT-rev is not backward compatible
… the revision disentangles an unhelpful confusion in scope of dcat:Distribution
… need to find more support for the change, to demonstrate implementations of the new classes
… e.g. Amsterdam City, others in Europe - we should contact them to encourage implementation
… also to clarify which UC they are responding to

DaveBrowning: make warning note more obvious, maybe repeat in dcat:DataService definition
… suggest that people use profiles to say (I'm using "DCAT 2014" interpretation of dcat:Distribution)

<PWinstanley> but many people start with keyword searches and in the new model that is ambiguous

AndreaPerego: 2 aspects of changes: 1. Services are first-class catalogable entities
… it is a choice of catalog implementer whether they include services or not
… CKAN does not distinguish datasets and services
… should we work with CKAN devs to add 'Service'
… 2. link from Service --> Distribution is not well understood
… people worried that they can't continue to tie these together in the same way
… 'this is not a file, this is a service, so you have to do more than just click on the link'
… note that the instructions in DCAT-rev uses SHOULD not MUST on this topic so legacy is protected that way too

alejandra: yes - this last point is key - it is strictly backward compatible, but maybe need to add some guidance on how to differentiate the two styles of use
… how to recognise new representation? It uses the new classes and properties!

AndreaPerego: what is happening now:
… 1. GeoNetwork - can already recognise if a URL points to a service or a file
… 1a. CKAN Geospatial - uses format information to detect a WMS
… but these are guesses that depend on the platform (geospatial)
… would be improved by making it explicit! i.e. dcat:DataService and sub-classes
… the missing piece to distinguish services (WMS, SPARQL endpoint) from distros (files) is exactly what is addressed in the DCAT-rev proposal for services
… should we contact CKAN people? maybe not, they are already responding to what they see in DCAT APs
… need to focus on the community (customers) not the tool providers

DaveBrowning: good angle on text to be added
… 2014 users need guess-work to succeed. -rev is enabling catalog managers to be more clear, thus better for their customers
… aligning with standard is irrelevant unless customers are actually demanding it
… actually we are not hurting you here, it is a better solution if you can adopt it, but as-you-were if you are not in a position to adopt it now

<AndreaPerego> s/serv ice/service/

DaveBrowning: maybe this is part of Distributions spring?

<alejandra> it doesn't hurt that Andrea starts looking at this and then we discuss the new text in the sprint

AndreaPerego: people don't read everything - the note on scope of dcat:Distribution just needs to be moved to a more prominent place, perhaps in the introduction

<alejandra> actually, it would be helpful

<DaveBrowning> +1 to alejandra

Action: AndreaPerego to propose changes to add a note re legacy use of dcat:Distribution for services more prominent higher in rec

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

<AndreaPerego> +1

alejandra: 1. license and rights information everywhere

<alejandra> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌pull/‌717

2. too much inheritted material is repeated in discussion of catalog class

<alejandra> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues/‌704

DaveBrowning: some of the text is tweaked for context ...

alejandra: however, needs reader to do more work, and interpret semantics of property in context

sprint planning

DaveBrowning: 1st sprint next Tuesday(/Wednesday) on Distributions

<DaveBrowning> distribution related issues are https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Adcat%3ADistribution

all sprint participants should review this list of issues before next week

alejandra: OK for us to skip plenary for sprint, but do we also have regular wednesday(/thursday) meeting?

<AndreaPerego> +1

<PWinstanley> +1 - keep regular

<alejandra> +1

+1 to keep meeting

DaveBrowning: regular meeting is for progressing checking, spring is for focusing on a feature

<alejandra> SimonCox: should I set up a webex for the sprint meeting?

Action: SimonCox to set up webex for sprint

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

<alejandra> +1

Action: DaveBrowning to send out announcement of sprint meeting

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

PWinstanley: maybe use a google doc during the meeting which we can collaboratively edit
… paste into the real place immediately following

+1 to collaborative editing in real time, github for asynchronous

... style editing

<AndreaPerego> Issue with references: https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues/‌702

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

AndreaPerego: references are being sorted into the wrong sections (normative vs non-normative)
… October change to ReSpec - looks like a bug?
… respec is pretty brutal on section tagging
… we need to add ? or ! to all refs
… and class='normative' vs 'non-normative' on sections

e.g. ref Linked Data Patterns is listed in Normative - shouldn't be!

DaveBrowning: has marked some issues 'due for closing' please all review so we can do some cleanup!
… editors prerogative to close issues, they can always be re-opened

Summary of action items

  1. https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌track/‌actions/‌280 can be closed
  2. DaveBrowning to respond to Pop
  3. AndreaPerego to propose changes to add a note re legacy use of dcat:Distribution for services more prominent higher in rec
  4. SimonCox to set up webex for sprint
  5. DaveBrowning to send out announcement of sprint meeting

Summary of resolutions

  1. agenda OK
  2. minutes approved
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by Bert Bos's scribe.perl version 2.49 (2018/09/19 15:29:32), a reimplementation of David Booth's scribe.perl. See CVS log.


Succeeded: s/day/say/

Succeeded: s/serv ice/service/

Succeeded: s/leagcy/legacy/

Succeeded: s/improvded/improved/

Failed: s/serv ice/service/

Succeeded: s/just/the not on scope of dcat:Distribution just/

Succeeded: s/not/note/

Succeeded: s/dcat:DIstribution/dcat:Distribution

Succeeded: s/spring/sprint/

Succeeded: s/spring/sprint/

Succeeded: s/spring/sprint/