Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

07 Nov 2018


janina, Becka11y, Joanmarie_Diggs, Jonny, James, Gottfried
John, Chris


<janina> Thanks, Joanie

<scribe> scribe: Gottfried

Agenda Review & Announcements

Accessibility perspective to IBM acquisition?

IBM acquired Redhat corporation

Not sure what this means to IBM accessibility.

Next and future meetings

Janina: We are meeting next week, but not the week following due to Thanksgiving. Again meeting on Nov. 28, and then all the way until Dec. 19.
... Then again on Jan. 9.

<Becka11y> regrets for Nov. 14 meeting - away at Accessing Higher Ground conference

TPAC 2018 Outcomes

Janina: This was a useful and productive TPAC.
... The main concepts we have promoted seem to resonated through the wider W3C.
... Good discussions by APA-sponsored meetings and breakout on Wednesday.
... Significant advancements.
... Personalization, pronunciation task forces.
... I will try to gather pointers to the minutes which are spread over the place.
... Look at "Resource" section in the meeting invitation
... Joint meeting on Wed with other W3C people who also do horizontal review.
... I18n = internationalization had great ideas for us
... Similar reports on what works and what does not.
... Michael and i talked briefly about moving our reviews into github to better track progress and responses from other wgs.
... When we assign somebody to review a spec, and then it migrates to another wg...
... github may facilitate a better cracking algorithm.

Michael: I18n has the same challenges we have. No silver bullet found either.
... They have evolved some github practices that work for them. We may adopt the same, working towards a common w3c infrastructure.
... They both track an issue in their own tracker, and they file an issue on the spec's tracker.
... More admin work, but perhaps less likely to lose things.

Janina: They are willing to share their scripts and templates with us.

Michael: They have an i18n tag for tagging issues in other repos.

Janina: Personalization will be handled in the tf.
... Knowledge domain is getting defined as to where it goes.
... There are pointers in the minutes.
... Feel free to talk about it on list.

Strong Authentication & Identity Workshop https://www.w3.org/Security/strong-authentication-and-identity-workshop/

Janina: We still haven't found anybody for this upcoming workshop.
... About one month from now.
... What should we do?
... Should i write an overview paper, and then try to find someone with travel budget for Seattle.
... Anything to recommend?

<scribe> ACTION: Janina to draft a paper for the Strong Authentication & Identity Workshop

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2182 - Draft a paper for the strong authentication & identity workshop [on Janina Sajka - due 2018-11-14].

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: File API. We did not want to look at it a while ago. But now a new draft is out.


Janina: Not clear we need to review this.

(Michael reads the use cases)

Janina: Let's give it another chance next time when more are present in APA
... Keep it on list


Point Lock 2.0

Michael: For 1.0 we sent feedback and considered it complete.
... For 2.0 we deferred one year ago.

Abstract: This specification defines an API that provides scripted access to raw mouse movement data while locking the target of mouse events to a single element and removing the cursor from view. This is an essential input mode for certain classes of applications, especially first person perspective 3D applications and 3D modeling software.

<MichaelC> Pointer Lock 2.0

<MichaelC> earlier comments: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jul/0010.html

Michael: This comment was just sent to the ARIA group.

Janina: Does this need to be sent to others?

Becky: They seem to have acknowledged that there are a11y implications. That's a start. I don't know how to use this yet, though.

Janina: Is there a use case doc?

Michael: There is a section for use cases.

Becky: Control viewpoint orientation.


scribe: Following mouse movements even when the pointer is not on the screen.
... You can use the buttons for something else without worrying about moving the mouse.
... Where you click is not necessarily where the pointer is.

Michael: Either APA or ARIA need to take it up. Seems like something is dangling from the previous round.

Becky: Wonder about timing of users. May be an a11y issue.

Janina: I need to ask research questions on this.
... They have been looking at AI and VR.
... We need to come up with a way to handle the capabilities they are providing.
... Not sure this is high on our prio list.

Michael: Somebody has to catch this. We should do something to make sure it is looked after.

Becky: If we had somebody with experience in gaming...

Janina: I only know ARIA to ask.

Michael: Seems this is not in ARIA's issues list.

Joanie: I thought we had an issue, but need to look.

Michael: Did not find it quickly.

Janina: Will take it to RQTF
... Let's leave this open for now.


<MichaelC> Trace Context

Abstract: Distributed tracing is a set of tools and practices to monitor the health and reliability of a distributed application. A distributed application is an application that consists of multiple components that are deployed and operated separately. It is also known as micro-service.

Michael: Sounds like make sure the web stays up...
... I don't see a11y issues immediately.

Janina: Notification mechanism in the spec?

Michael: No, simply has data fields.

Janina: I see no need for review.

Joanie: It may be covered by privacy & security. But what if the spec allows to communicate that a11y is being used, it might violate privacy.
... For example when something crashes and reports the stack...

Michael: We might want to have something added to the privacy section.
... If we think there is a potential a11y spec, we need to voice this.

Becky: They are aware of personal identification risks.

Joanie: Could we send an email to the privacy people to ask for a privacy statement here?

Michael: Not sure they would look at the email.

Joanie: What about emailing the spec owners - what if a11y information would be included in the trace?

Janina: Let me try a draft, and then run it by you.

Michael: They will need an example of what we are thinking about.

Joanie: E.g. sending a name calculation, would only happen if AT is connected.

Janina: I can think about 3 examples in 20 mins.

<scribe> ACTION: Janina to draft a message to the Trace Context spec authors - and run by Joanie. https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/WD-distributed-tracing-20181106/

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2183 - Draft a message to the trace context spec authors - and run by joanie. https://www.w3.org/tr/2018/wd-distributed-tracing-20181106/ [on Janina Sajka - due 2018-11-14].

Michael: Web Audio API still open on Janina.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Janina: We need to clean up actions.
... And take another crack at community groups.


<trackbot> action-2181 -- Janina Sajka to Review https://www.w3.org/tr/navigation-timing-2/ navigation timing level 2 -- due 2018-10-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2181

Janina: Not done


<trackbot> action-2180 -- John Foliot to Respond review of page visibility level 2 at http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-apa/2018jul/0020.html -- due 2018-09-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2180


<trackbot> action-2177 -- Jason White to Review web authentication in response to wide review request -- due 2018-08-08 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2177

<MichaelC> close action-2176

<trackbot> Closed action-2176.

<MichaelC> close action-2177

<trackbot> Closed action-2177.

Janina: That's OBE

Michael: I am going to mark Web Authentication as OBE.


<trackbot> action-2173 -- Janina Sajka to Review mediastreamtrack content hints -- due 2018-07-18 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2173

Janina: will not get to this
... not needed

<MichaelC> close action-2173

<trackbot> Closed action-2173.


<trackbot> action-2170 -- Amy Carney to Review css fonts module level 4 -- due 2018-05-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2170

Janina: We can skip CSS tf

<MichaelC> close action-2170

<trackbot> Closed action-2170.

Janina: Ian will be back here, but he will also engage with css tf more directly.


<trackbot> action-2169 -- Janina Sajka to Ask web assembly wg about web assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact ui and need a11y advice about using a11y api -- due 2018-02-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2169

Janina: Leave open


<trackbot> action-2168 -- Janina Sajka to Review credential management level 1 -- due 2018-02-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2168

Michael: We wanted a coga review, had some thoughts on it. But didn't do anything.

Janina: Let's look up these points, and ask Lisa to take care.
... for a coga review.


<trackbot> action-2160 -- Léonie Watson to Review web of things (wot) security and privacy considerations -- due 2018-09-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2160

Janina: Let's wait until she is here.


<trackbot> action-2157 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Create an editing aam -- due 2017-12-06 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2157

<MichaelC> action-2157 due 1 year

<trackbot> Set action-2157 Create an editing aam due date to 2019-11-07.

Joanie: Still on my list. Ultimately should move over to web platform.


<trackbot> action-2151 -- Janina Sajka to Review permissions https://www.w3.org/tr/permissions/ -- due 2019-03-01 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2151


<trackbot> action-2150 -- Janina Sajka to Review a sample of specifications to analyse their security and privacy sections. -- due 2017-10-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2150

<MichaelC> close action-2150

<trackbot> Closed action-2150.


<trackbot> action-2149 -- Léonie Watson to Review web of things (wot) thing description -- due 2018-09-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2149


<trackbot> action-2134 -- Michael Cooper to Ping review of css overflow module level 4 -- due 2018-07-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2134

<MichaelC> close action-2134

<trackbot> Closed action-2134.


<trackbot> action-2131 -- Michael Cooper to Ask webappsec if csp is meant to block bookmarklets, and raise issue of a11y scripts that users explicitly request (not xss) -- due 2018-09-26 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2131


<trackbot> action-2111 -- Janina Sajka to Check on the status of our previous comments on payments -- due 2018-09-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2111

Michael: Shane worked up a paragraph or two. They did not like it.

<MichaelC> proposed Payments sentence: ¨Implementations should provide hints to platform accessibility APIs to increase the intelligibility of labels and payment request data such as the total, shipping addresses, and contact information.¨

Michael: This is a proposal from Ian Jacobs.

Janina: Sounds okay.

Michael: Term reference would be good.
... Now back into pre-old stuff.

Janina: So let's close it for now. Talk to you next week again.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Janina to draft a message to the Trace Context spec authors - and run by Joanie. https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/WD-distributed-tracing-20181106/
[NEW] ACTION: Janina to draft a paper for the Strong Authentication & Identity Workshop

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/11/07 18:00:21 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/"/)/
Succeeded: s/Jainina/Janina/
Present: janina Becka11y Joanmarie_Diggs Jonny James Gottfried
Regrets: John Chris
Found Scribe: Gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: Gottfried
Found Date: 07 Nov 2018
People with action items: janina

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]