COGA TF Meeting

25 Oct 2018


kirkwood, Glenda, Lisa, EA
steve, alaster


<lisa> design requirments doc : and new name etc : - do we want another name https://raw.githack.com/w3c/coga/master/requirements/index.html

<kirkwood> Item 5, 404 not found?

<lisa> oh!

<kirkwood> present

<lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page#Layer_3._Making_it_better

<lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page#What_documents_do_we_have.3F

moving forward with design requirments https://w3c.github.io/coga/requirements/index.html

<lisa> no quarum as yet

<lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJE2C0FzzzXgydEp0MNGSdDDvUTTsANViUVvciFK36k/edit#heading=h.3kxe4xs4kon9

<lisa> Feedback is usable by everyone

<lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page#What_documents_do_we_have.3F

<lisa> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4919553/

CSUN Question: do we have a COGA session at CSUN 2019?

<lisa> scribe: glenda

personlization. https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2018/SessionIdeas#Personalization_-_How_Should_We_Implement.3F

Lisa: personalization work has very useful taxonomies. We need to look at the symbol section (as one area that needs comments).

<EA> EA has offered to try to make an issue paper about mental health based on Renaldo's paper and other issues that arise. Contact Thad to check what he has written as well.

<lisa> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2018/SessionIdeas#Personalization_-_How_Should_It_Be_Implemented.3F

<EA> EA needs to ask colleague who is helping with harmonisation of symbol sets as to how they should be implemented. Need to make sure it is easy to debug and usable

<lisa> https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki/Comparison-of-ways-to-use-vocabulary-in-content

Lisa: concerned about the impact on a person with cognitive disabilities who might have a barrier with these symbols

“Personalization - How Should It Be Implemented?” - https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2018/SessionIdeas#Personalization_-_How_Should_It_Be_Implemented.3F

Lisa: Need feedback on this “Personalization - How Should It be Implemented?”

<EA> Yes please can we meet again to explain it more

Lisa: proposes a virtual meeting (in a zoom room) - to discuss different implementation models of Personalization (that take into account that a person with a cognitive disability will need to be able to be a programmer / coder applying the personalization semantics.

<lisa> <label for="given" aui-simplification="critical" aui-easylang="First name" aui-field="givenName">Given name:</label>

<lisa> <label for="given" aui="simplification:critical; easylang:(First name); field:givenName">Given name:</label>

<EA> Nightmare to copy or write if you are dyslexic

<EA> Does the IDE make the colours show up with this type of code?

aui syntax checking tools could help with this (and aui autocomplete tools could help too)

<lisa> <label for="given" aui="simplification:critical; field:givenName" easylang="First name">Given name:</label>

what does “aui” stand for?

adaptable user interface

John: as long as it is structured, any of these ways will be fine

Proposed topic at AccessU: Conserving Cognitive Energy

Abstract: What if I told you that I could make you fall in love with Cognitive Accessibility? I don’t ever want you to compromise on good design. Let me show you how the principles of Cognitive Design can elevate your UI to a delightful user experience for all. Learn about key cognitive challenges and how they exist in our daily lives. Explore actionable design principles that will reduce mental friction for all of your users.

wcag survey https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/process-results-pt1/

Lisa: What changes to the process will help COGA TF with the process.
... (chair hat off) instead of starting by writing a SC, your instead start with a real user issue, then define the user story/real user need, then draft a success criteria (to address the user need).

<kirkwood> agree with Lisa’s point about stronly defining the need!

<kirkwood> very good suggestion, Lisa

glenda- great suggestion Lisa

<EA> I agree

WCAG has been very very focused on the “testing”. COGA can have a positive impact by clarifying the user needs.

<EA> I think we did in the research docs but the user need was lost in the translation

<kirkwood> COGA Issue Workshops

<EA> Maybe add to the W3C videos https://www.edx.org/school/w3cx

<EA> Steve Lee has asked me about our MOOC

<EA> Do we have funds for it as well as we could do it

I wonder if MS could help. They are doing so much beautiful work going on there. Resarch into AI.

<EA> Need some AT users to explain their needs as well.

Also OATH. They have some awesome projects https://www.oath.com/accessibility/getty-collection/?fbclid=IwAR2eNmHhD4dKtngK-oBLao-dT6A0FgBPrlU9RQE0kXMZiW37Baywpxmh1eA

<EA> Could be fantastic but need to make sure it is not only pan disability but also global

<lisa> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2018Oct/0003.html

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/10/25 15:03:21 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: kirkwood, Glenda, Lisa, EA
Present: kirkwood Glenda Lisa EA
Regrets: steve alaster
Found Scribe: glenda
Inferring ScribeNick: Glenda
Found Date: 25 Oct 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]