Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

29 Aug 2018


janina, Léonie, (tink), Irfan_Ali, Becka11y, jonny-james, Chris_, MichaelC, gottfried


<scribe> scribe: becka11y

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina: need to review action items; any additional agenda items?

TPAC 2018 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2018

Janina: need to throw items for APA items on the table; need to understand what people want to cover at TPAC - will post request to the list as well
... will be possible to participate remotely at TPAC (despite time zone differences);
... do we need joint time with Web Platform group or will just meeting with Leonie be enough (at TPAC)

Leonie: Web Platform agenda currently in 15 minutes blocks so scheduling is difficult
... still have hour block for APA at the moment; need to understand why need to talk to Web Plat about personalization? what does p18n group need?

Janina: still working that out - but want to make sure that ideas for moving into a markup based solution don’t conflict with web plat

Michael: Personalization group would like to understand how Web Plat group feels about adding personalization information into HTML or HTML extension before considering that alternative
... want feedback on adding an attribute or two to address personalization and what is involved and what attitudes are from HTML

Leonie: HTML is a bit “up in the air” right now - what version means what

Michael: assume W3C HTML (at least for now)
... want to get Web Platform group opinions before (considering) taking to WHAT WG
... consider adding a few new attributes that validator will accept even if browsers don’t immediately
... Personalization TF could also be intereseted in adding additional values to work per. into the HTML specification - example: add undo as a new type on button

Janina: don’t want to take personalization mainstream unless is also supports accessibility - don’t forget the main reason for personalization
... need to discuss publishing rolling own mechanism for embedded audio - why is this necessary?
... need to hear good requirements for why need new spec for synchronized audio
... yet another markup spec may be problemmatic and not allow creatively building on top of it - need to continue to explore and add other into the conversation; think there is interest from ETS which is mildly related
... better to fully vet the approach now so we don’t regret it later

Gottfried: agreed - need to cover mainstream use cases that are interesting for publishing industry

Janina: what is the general thinking about adding video and audio into an electronic books - makes sense to add into HTML; SMIL allows sync of text with audio down to word level; commonly down to paragraph level and has been very successful; highlighting text as hear it is an important accessibiity concern;
... concerned that new spec might limit itself to the above uses - need to explore further and how multi-media is evolving?

Leonie: Web Plat - points out there is no spec or incubation group yet - is a bit too nebulous to understand the problem space; would be helpful if this topic (new synchronized media spec for publishing) is more mature before we dive into it.
... isn’t clear that the WG currently involved in media specs are involved - believe we need more conversation with exisitng stateholders before move forward

Janina: agree that we have a personalization topic (at least one co-chair available); take publishing related info to a Tuesday conversation
... we are starting a new Task Force to work on incorporating SSML into HTML to help screen reader users and others; will be broadcasting about this and seeking participants; encouraging Irfan to do demos at TPAC

Irfan: like idea of including more language specific examples to demonstration - will add into prototype; Will send HTML version of work statement to Janina

Janina: please forward TPAC discussion topics to Janina so can put an agenda together; need to further discuss and work on “A11y cheat sheet” for people creating / reviewing specs; want to get specific dates and times on the agenda soon

Permissions Workshop https://www.w3.org/Privacy/permissions-ws-2018/cfp.html#position-statements

Janina: asked to put A11y presentation together for W3c workshopt at Qualcomm on permissions and user consent in CA; Have put a generic presentation together that was accepted; Who can show up in person to be there
... looking for someone to represent accessibility - best if you can attend for multiple days; in San Diego; sept 26 and 27, 2018

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Janina: need to see what items have been overcome by events; reassign

Leonie: nothing we need to comment on wrt a11y - but should go back and aknowledge a11y improvements in SVG2; for example tab index support; aria - we should aknowledge a job well done;

<MichaelC> close action-2179

<trackbot> Closed action-2179.

Janina: will follow up re 2179

Michael: 2177 - will follow up
... 2176 - https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2076 janina to follow up

<MichaelC> close action-2175

<trackbot> Closed action-2175.

Michael: 2175 close
... 2173 review media stream content; No update
... 2172 review web audio api - no update
... 2170 review CSS fonts level 4 on ian;

Janina: planning to look at CSS next week / future

Michael: 2169 ask about web assemply core

Janina: perhaps discuss at TPAC
... would like to review as a group

Michael: 2168 - review credential management - no update

<MichaelC> action-2165 due 6 months

<trackbot> Set action-2165 Ping review of web annotation extensions for web publications due date to 2019-03-01.

Michael: 2165 review web annontation extensions for web publications - on Michael - looked at in in January hasn’t been updated so advance for 6 onths

Janina: what about community interest? do we want feedback from publishing - should we ask them to take a look

Michael: agreed - good to send a friendly note to publishing to review; Janina will do that

<MichaelC> close action-2161

<trackbot> Closed action-2161.

Michael: 2160 review web of things security and privacy - no update

Leonie: will take IOT security and privacy - 2 week time frame

Michael: 2151 review permissions on Janina

Janina: did review quickly is preparing apresentation for them; bump up action item to review when more mature

<MichaelC> action-2151 due 6 months

<trackbot> Set action-2151 Review permissions https://www.w3.org/tr/permissions/ due date to 2019-03-01.

Michael: 2149 review web of things description

Leonie: will take that one as well

Janina: should look at new publications before we run out of time

Michael: geolocation sensors only one gone to CR and agreed review not needed; leave two CSS ones alone for now

<MichaelC> action-2145 due 6 months

<trackbot> Set action-2145 Ping review on long tasks api 1 due date to 2019-03-01.

Michael: 2145 review long tasks api level 1 - still in first public WD so put off for another 6 months
... 2135 review cloud browser use cases on Janina - is it still active?

Chris: two people involved have left W3c

<MichaelC> close action-2135

<trackbot> Closed action-2135.

Michael: 2133 manage review of payment handler api

<MichaelC> action-2133 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-2133 Manage review of payment handler api https://www.w3.org/tr/payment-handler/ due date to 2018-09-05.

Janina: need to follow up - update due date

Michael: 2131 ask web app security about policy surrounding bookmarklets and raise issue of a11y scripts users actually request

<MichaelC> action-2133 due 4 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2133 Manage review of payment handler api https://www.w3.org/tr/payment-handler/ due date to 2018-09-26.

Leonie: depends upon what bookmarklet does - often modifies markup and that is intentional

<MichaelC> action-2133 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-2133 Manage review of payment handler api https://www.w3.org/tr/payment-handler/ due date to 2018-09-05.

<MichaelC> action-2131 due 4 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2131 Ask webappsec if csp is meant to block bookmarklets, and raise issue of a11y scripts that users explicitly request (not xss) due date to 2018-09-26.

Michael: 2111 check status on previous comments on payments

<MichaelC> action-2133: close in favor of action-2111

<trackbot> Sorry, but I think you meant to close action-2133.

<MichaelC> action-2133: decided to close in favor of action-2111

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2133 Manage review of payment handler api https://www.w3.org/tr/payment-handler/.

<MichaelC> close action-2133

<trackbot> Closed action-2133.

<MichaelC> action-2111 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-2111 Check on the status of our previous comments on payments due date to 2018-09-05.

<MichaelC> close action-1289

<trackbot> Closed action-1289.

Michael: 1289 prepare pf comment on custom elements - close

<MichaelC> close action-2093

<trackbot> Closed action-2093.

<janina> http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/users/my

Janina: link above will point to your personal actions

I updated the community groups wiki page

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/08/29 17:01:25 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/not/ /
Present: janina Léonie (tink) Irfan_Ali Becka11y jonny-james Chris_ MichaelC gottfried
Regrets: John
Found Scribe: becka11y
Inferring ScribeNick: Becka11y
Found Date: 29 Aug 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]