Content Negotiation Subgroup

23 May 2018

Meeting Minutes

scribe LarsG

scribeNick LarsG

Meeting Content Negotiation Subgroup

Human readable version of conneg

<RubenVerborgh> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues/‌239

RubenVerborgh: interesting work done by Nick, but it's only one
… way of doing it
… we should try to be more webby
… The proposal is more about change of URLs, we should try to use
… links. We need a sustainable solution.

<roba> hi - can you identify the webex url plz

antoine: UC has not yet been accepted
… We need to clarify if this is about negotiation or about serving a profile

RubenVerborgh: Nick's solution is to circumvent accept headers
… since that seems too complicated

<roba> Re the UC - its one i'm very familiar with from the UK and Simon's "sissvoc" experience. We have three options:

<roba> 1 nothing,

<roba> 2 state that URL parameters may override headers if an API supports profile negotiation

<RubenVerborgh> *roba, will you join on WebEx as well?*

<roba> 3 define a canonical parameter syntax

<roba> * yes - but i havent found the right webex link - not listed at https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌wiki/‌Meetings

roba: The issue is that Nick's UC conflates several issues
… 1 is about delivering a description
… 2 can you specify a profile using a parameter in the URL overriding headers
… 3 the last is about locale and content type

<RubenVerborgh> foo/resource/

<RubenVerborgh> foo/resource.html

RubenVerborgh: we shouldn't mandate a syntax, the overriding aspect is OK, but we shouldn't call it "override"

<RubenVerborgh> foo/resource.en.html

RubenVerborgh: it's just a kind of already negotiated version.
… you cannot negotiate the representations

roba: The headers might be ignored if you specify in the URL

RubenVerborgh: Yes, but it's already negotiated

roba: We should allow this to be a case and then we're set

RubenVerborgh: We could link to the representations. The URL solution doesn't
… allow discovery

roba: Right, but how to do that is an open question
… Question is if ProfileDesc is an appropriate solution
… You can use web linking using different syntaxes

antoine: This UC is about using an http API to get data about profiles?

roba: It's about two things

<RubenVerborgh> *we needed Zakim :-)*

antoine: would like to see the arguments in the context of a full URL

roba: This might need to be factored out as two requirements:
… 1 The values in the URL to take presedence over headers
… 2 giving the right format

antoine: Is this both about negotiation and representations?

roba: This is about negotiation for data, the profile is a powerful way
… to negoriate for that
… currently it's largely focussed on metadata being available
… negotiation for profile is also in the UC
… the UC could be made more clear.

antoine: the main UC is to be able to negotiate, the ancillary is
… to get the metadata

Action: antoine to call for more clarification on candidate UC 239

<trackbot> Created ACTION-121 - Call for more clarification on candidate uc 239 [on Antoine Isaac - due 2018-05-30].


RubenVerborgh: Does anyone know timeline for guidance document

antoine: first draft ready for TPAC in October

RubenVerborgh: Will work on IETF document
… those we can work on in parallel

antoine: it would be a great help if the documents are kept orthogonal
… and the negotiation document shouldn't say what a profile is
… I think that's your approach.

roba: The document should stand alone and replay an agreed definition

antoine: yes

roba: Lot's of discussion on the profile definition language. Not really helpful.
… The UCs are pretty small, and we need to work on how to define a profile

<RubenVerborgh> q ack

<antoine> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2018/‌05/‌09-dxwg-minutes#x05

antoine: timeline, we need something for TPAC but the document should
… be well underway in August. That makes a two month's difference
… FPWD early August

<antoine> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌milestone/‌9

RubenVerborgh: AOB?



<antoine> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌tree/‌gh-pages/‌profiles

antoine: Where is now the profile-neg-guidance on GitHub?

Summary of Action Items

  1. antoine to call for more clarification on candidate UC 239
Minutes formatted by Bert Bos's scribe.perl version 2.41 (2018/03/23 13:13:49), a reimplementation of David Booth's scribe.perl. See CVS log.


Succeeded: s/that seem/that seems/

No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: larsg