Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

25 Apr 2018


Léonie, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, IanPouncey, gottfried


genda+ Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

<scribe> scribe: JF

[delay in starting - tech issues]

JS: starting meeting now. Any questions or comments?

LW: hoping to have HTML 5.3 out for wide review next week

JS: have been expecting to discuss this with you

LW: change logs are in the spec, so after the official call goes out will review those logs and highlight any issues for APA

Charter Renewal https://www.w3.org/2018/03/draft-apa-charter

JS: hopefully everyone is aware and have read it

not sure if we are ready for CfC, may need a bit more review

JS; any comments or thoughts?

JS: there is one additional request that came forward.

ETS is looking for ability to support SSML to drive TTS (?) - they strongly believe this isrequired

MC: worried about a normative deliverable - we've not even seen a first draft.

we can commit to some incubation of this

JS: our charter is written to allow for that

we don't need to explicitly define the outcome

MC: we discussed adding scoped verticals (non-exclusive list), and potentially establish a liason

JS: this won't work if they don't get it working in user agents - extensions or direct support

Gottfried: not following - what do they want from us?

JS: they want us to host a TF or sub-team for incubation
... not 100% clear on how this would work out...

JF: supports incubation of a11y activities, but is there anything we can look at today? this sounds like vapor-ware

LW: SSML is already being used widely - Amazon Alexa for example

JS: they are hoping for screen readers to use SSML for content

LW: they want screen readers to understand SSML ?

JS: yes, i think they want to work on extensions (etc.), buit not 100% clear on end goal

we could ask them to come back and re-present?

LW: also curious if they are looking at the speech module of CSS (supported in Apple tools)

MC: recall something that they want an ARIA module

LW: we may just need a mapping? we may not need ARIA per-se

JS: this is why it strikes me that ARIA is the logical home for this
... writing extensions (etc.) - this may be a normative request, or it may just be Best Practices

MC: looking to allow more aams in the ARIA Charter

JS: they may also be looking at having support here in tools beyond screen readers

LW: we would be better off kicking ideas around here in APA, before we commit to taking this to ARIA - that may paint us into a corner

MC: we can easily add a line or two to our charter
... also related to Personalization - informed Charles LaPierre that the move for Personalization to APA is looking like a done deal

Timelines for that to be discussed next Monday, so that it can be added to the APA CHarter

the proposal to move Personalization was not a formal CfC, but surveyed on list

MC: most of the WBS responses were either move it, or don't care, with one vote not to move it

JS: we need to discuss this more than before we run a CfC - but anticipate this within the next 7 days or so

JF: will we be adding the request to ETS to the charter? have we made a decision?

JS: hoping that language in the Charter will accomodate those types of requests
... we need timelines as well

MC: anticipate minor edits to the draft - should not have a significant impact
... and Janina was hoping for some more clarification of the scoping

JS: will continue via the mailing list

ARIA WG hope to finalize their Charter renewal next week at their F2F

APA Verticals -- Continuing discussion

<gottfried> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Verticals_to_Track

JS: we may have addressed this in the charter discussion - possible to add SSML work as a vertical as well

MC: I have some idea of what they want to achieve, but unclear on how it would actually work (ETS / SSML)
... we can work this into the charter and go from there

reminder to all - if you have your name associated to any of those verticals, you are expected to add a few words of explanation

RQTF Update -- Janina, Jason

JS: CAPTCHA update - thanks to tink for the review

<MichaelC> Updated CAPTCHA draft

a few things that surface during that review, hope to discuss now

some language idioms here are hard to translate

LW: different ways of measuring readability (Flesch-Kinkaid, Gunning Fog Index), etc.

this came in as hard to read

JS: State of Mass also noted some broken links

MC: need to still review the references - have not been verified

<tink> This tool tests for Gunning Fog Index, Flesch Kincaid, and Flesch Kincaid Ease of Reading http://juicystudio.com/services/readability.php

MC: but have not done link checking yet - will need to happen before final publication
... usually remove links unless there is a clear replacement
... re reading score - actual wording suggestions are helpful


JS: one more issue - RQTF will be meeting next week - will request they review dead links and provide replacements
... what to do with inline references to research docs?

MC: will do that soon

JS: OK, will presume this will be addressed then

MC: all I will do is take what is provided and put in W3C formats

JF: is the research material paywall stuff?can we share publicly?

MC: believe that is a Best Practice and not a requirement (but need to verify)

LW: not sure if any of the feedback stalls going to FPWD

JS: correct

LW: we should just push it now - we can address issues after the first publication

JS: we could publish as is, but I think we should do the minor cleanup first

to avoid repeated comments - this all seems fairly obvious so let's address it sooner rather than later

it shouldn't take too long, so lets do it and then publish

JS: any other comments?
... they intend to return to augmented reality next

TPAC 2018 Planning

JS: still haven't confirmed that we want to meet, whether we meet with ARIA WG, etc.
... plan to address this tomorrow when returned to office
... updates as updates happen, but will be firmer next week

CSS Updates -- Ian

IP: just arrived - good timing
... not much to report this week.
... request for volunteers to join TF - got some interest and need to add them to the TF

MC: saw the email, will be working on them this week - better if Michael was added to an intro email

IP: can do that
... the sooner we have folks signed up, the sooner we can get started

MC: have also been distracted by WCAG 2.1 going to PR

IP: need to start on a review ASAP

LW: is part of the remit of this TF to watch and track all of the CSS modules?

IP: yes in theory, but not all modules are created equal so there will be some balancing there
... will need to just watch for a11y issues if and when...

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

MC: HTML5.3 review - already discussed
... action for Ian to @@@ but if opened in CSS TF can close here

(reviewing action items - everyone has been busy on "other" things)

<MichaelC> action-2093 due 6 months

<trackbot> Set action-2093 Re-raise svg2 for review due date to 2018-10-25.

MC: payments?...

JS: have had some discussion - bottom line is the old plan remains the best plan, but issues around "kicking it into gear"

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> Character Model for the World Wide Web: String Matching

MC: doesn't seem to need review

<MichaelC> CSS Fonts Module Level 4

the other is CSS Fonts Module 4 - out for open review

we filed comments in July 2017 - no tracking info after that

however they just sent out the wide review announcement, so we need to see if/what they did with our comments

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/17

IP: looking for a link

MC: reads comment - pretty vague

IP: will look at this more closely and attempt to respond

<scribe> ACTION: Ian to review CSS Fonts Module level 4

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2170 - Review css fonts module level 4 [on Ian Pouncey - due 2018-05-02].

<MichaelC> action-2170: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/CSS_Fonts_Module_Level_4

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2170 Review css fonts module level 4.

W3C Spec Template Redesign http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2018Fe

MC: perhaps we move this off the repeating agenda - not much here, mostly an FYI
... we do need to make sure we're not surprised by any of this
... have discussed this with PHL and the understanding for accessible spec documents - we can assist

JS: no more comments? Meeting ajourned.

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Ian to review CSS Fonts Module level 4

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/04/25 16:55:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/stareting/starting/
Default Present: Léonie, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, IanPouncey, gottfried
Present: Léonie Joanmarie_Diggs MichaelC IanPouncey gottfried
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 25 Apr 2018
People with action items: ian

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]