Silver Task Force Teleconference

10 Apr 2018


kirkwood, Jan, chaals, JohnR
jeanne, chaals


GitHub stuff

<jeanne> scribe: jeanne

<Lauriat> Silver in GitHub: https://github.com/w3c/silver

Shawn: Thanks to Michael, we now have a github repository. It's currently just a structure.
... we have a branch for master
... and directories for Requirements and Prototypes

<jemma> my git account is a11ydoer

<Charles> my git account is hallmedia (Charles Hall)

<chaals> [my git account is chaals ]

Michael: You will receive an email and then you will have to accept that invite.
... Jeanne and Shawn will have the ability to add more people to the repo.

Jeanne: We are not going to jump into Github use without training and bringing the whole group into using Github.

Michael: There is training infomation at the bottom of the Github file list and we should do a Github training at some point.

Shawn: We will need to figure out how we integrate Github into our work.

plain language vs simple language

Review the report from Design Sprint & prototyping


<chaals> scribe: chaals

JS: I haven't finished the report yet.
... started moving information into the report, the problem statements, going to bring in an intro to silver, started bringing in the design sprint results by table.
... That turned out to be more work than I could do in the time I had. I did bring in each table's summary. The whole thing needs to be broken up and soteed by problem statement and made somewhat consistent.
... then we need to write up what we want to know more about and invite people to do more prototypes.
... Don't think there is a lot for people to work on yet beyond checking that the format makes sense, or suggesting what direction we are / should be going in.

JK: Can we please have a goal for the document?

JS: Sure. What should it be?

JK: Who is this for? What does it try to tell them?
... maybe just a couple of sentences.
... So people understand what sort of contributions they should be making
... So the problem statements listed in each table, they came out of the design sprint, but how do they fit into what we are doing - are they the only ones, where did they come from, are we thinking of more...?

JS: Background... we did research in TF and collected some from elsewhere, and that identified 11 problem statements related to the struccture of silver. Those were developed and fed into the Design Sprint, where some of them were chosen as work items at the Design Sprint.
... This document describes what happened at the Design Sprint as we worked on those.
... But that information was gathered in 5 sets organised by who worked together, whereas people will want to find out what work was done per problem statement.
... (And making that translation table was the bit that was harder than I thought it would be).
... We need that so we can clarify what are the next steps, and what sort of contributions will help us on that path.

CH: To add to that, we are open to other problem statements, those are just the ones we worked on during that event.

Jill: is there a starting point to explore all the information?

JS: Not yet - that is what we are trying to put into place in this report.
... we have a research summary document, linked from this report draft.
... I am hoping to get this finished by Friday. Help welcome

plain language vs simple language

[discussion about how we collect information...]

<jeanne> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Main_Page

JS: I try to move things into the Wiki as we wrap them up

CH: It would be good to continue having the "upcoming tasks" information

<jeanne> upcoming tasks...


CH: Should we update a timeline?


Plain language

JS: Tables 4 and 5 were working on this...

SL: There is a standard for "Simple Language", so if we are going to use that we need to work out what we mean and how to make sure it helps make Silver easier to use.

JR: There is an attempt at a simple technical langauge for the aerospace industry, but the direction to go is following the "plain language" standards published in teh US and Europe.
... I have been gathering these and testing how well they work in terms of actually helping people write stuff that other peole understand better.
... If people with intellectual disabilities can understand content, that is a useful proxy for whether something communicates better.
... I'm working on using AI to take this and simplify we text on a large scale. So I am interested in helping convey what silver does in an easy-to-understand way internationally.
... The simpler the language we use, the more useful automatic translation will be.

[suggest trying some other auto-translators out there that are widely used in other countries, but that's an operational detail]

SL: Do you have a pointer to recommendations on how to create plain language?

JR: That's tricky. You will find things that are vague. It is hard to know if you have done it right.
... Most things you find do not just say what you need to write.

CH: So you think we should make our own way to do this?

JR: We could look at my work first. That would save some time.
... I will work on that to make it better.

Kelsey: Sounds useful. You have looked at AI, and aerospace. Why?

JR: People who work on those things want to make it easy to read the things they write.
... So they did work on how to do that.
... I also worked on how Watson can help make things easy to read.
... And I look at what works well.

<kirkwood> maybe a list of primary source of information would be helpful with Silver’s introduction ot it and it’s usefulness for Silver included? [a thought]

CH: If we want to do this, where do we start?

JR: Give me text and I can use my rules on it. Then we can see how that works.

Some text written by table 4

<scribe> scribe: chaals

JS: have you tried to run WCAG text through your rules?

JR: Not yet. I will try to do that as a next step

CH: To work out what is the next step, can you show us what rules you use to make plain language?

JR: Should we work on a sample first?
... We should try that first. If you like it we should do more.

CH: Sure.

JR: That would help me test if my rules work well.

SL: This fits with a task we want to do. We want to try rewriting WCAG 2.1 as plain language.

<Lauriat> Chaals: I dropped a link in to what we worked on during the design sprint on video accessibility.

[+1 to taking some text from WCAG to test it]

SL: Let's coordinate through email. Jeanne and I will work on setting up GitHub.

Next Meeting

Jemma: Friday meating time?

SL: 2pm US Eastern - 1900Z. ! hour meeting.


[thanks all]

<Lauriat> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/04/10 14:49:22 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/A?/JK/g
Succeeded: s|https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTiXXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit?usp=sharing|upcoming tasks...|
Succeeded: s/scribe: jeanne//
Succeeded: s/Some text written by table 5/Some text written by table 4/
Succeeded: i/Jemma/Topic: Next Meeting
Default Present: kirkwood, Jan, chaals, JohnR
Present: kirkwood Jan chaals JohnR
Found Scribe: jeanne
Inferring ScribeNick: jeanne
Found Scribe: chaals
Inferring ScribeNick: chaals
Found Scribe: chaals
Inferring ScribeNick: chaals
Scribes: jeanne, chaals
ScribeNicks: jeanne, chaals

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 10 Apr 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]