Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

01 Mar 2018


JohnRochford, MichaelC, MarkWilcock, Jan, kirkwood, alastairc
JohnRochard, JohnRochford


<alastairc> trackbot, startmeeting

<trackbot> Sorry, alastairc, I don't understand 'trackbot, startmeeting'. Please refer to <http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc> for help.

<alastairc> trackbot, start meeting

<alastairc> meeting: COGA TF

Our timelines and actions for next publication

<alastairc> Doc: https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/List_for_Gap_Analysis_V2

<alastairc> scribe: JohnRochard

<JohnRochford> scribe: JohnRochford

<alastairc> Table of user needs: https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/gap-analysis/table.html

Alastair: Has anybody looked at the table of user needs?
... It's quite acceptable to say things are fine, or make other comments.

<alastairc> Google doc for comments: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11gsYl2Zml_waTlLgqKj17h9UMnwyMwxrILbS4ZP6oqs/edit#

Shari: I looked at the tables, and they're a mess. The content is all over the place.
... They all need a good deal of work.
... Jan and I have talked about the tables content, but we have not worked on them due to our work on the Silver Task Force.
... The way the tables content is organized is convoluted, making it difficult for people tor review it.

<alastairc> John: Was involved from the start. Two people were assigned to each aspect. E.g. Neil & I did the autism area.

<alastairc> John: some differences between sections.

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to differentiate gap analysis from user needs tables and to talk about roy work

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/List_for_Gap_Analysis_V2

Alastair: Why is Lisa prioritizing this work?

Michael: Lisa may think in tables, which we should keep in mind.

Jan: Good suggestion. The more I have looked at it, the more I realize tables may not be the best way to structure the content.

Alastair: We definitely need Lisa's input on this.

Understanding sections ,Techniques, Implementations updates for WCAG 2.1 support

Alastair: Has anyone been working on the understanding documents?

JohnRochford: I have, such as Accessible Authentication.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Accepted_WCAG_2.1_SC

Identify Common Purpose

<alastairc> Updated draft: https://alastairc.ac/tmp/autocomplete.html

Alastair: Did anyone work on the understanding for common purpose?


Alastair: I will take that as a no.
... Is there anyone who can talk to identify purpose?

<alastairc> https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/identify-purpose/understanding/21/identify-purpose.html

Alastair: Mark, would you look at the identify purpose understanding doc?

Mark: Yes.

Alastair: We need to be carefult that all listed techniques are directly relevant.


<alastairc> ACTION: Mark_Wilcock to review the understanding doc for Idenify purpose

<trackbot> Error finding 'Mark_Wilcock'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/users>.

<alastairc> ACTION: Mark Wilcock to review the understanding doc for Idenify purpose

<trackbot> Created ACTION-270 - Wilcock to review the understanding doc for idenify purpose [on Mark Wilcock - due 2018-03-08].

Alastair: Is everyone aware of the timeouts success criterion, specifically loss of data?

<kirkwood> couldn’t find implementations myself

Alastair: Anyone know of sites that trigger data loss?
... Otherwise, we may have to pull that success criterion.


Alastair: I will take that as a no.
... We have 3 potential techniques for timeouts.
... Any volunteers?

<kirkwood> yes I could look at it, John Kirkwood- this week

<kirkwood> could you point me to it

<alastairc> ACTION: kirkwood to review the understanding doc for Timeouts

<trackbot> Created ACTION-271 - Review the understanding doc for timeouts [on John Kirkwood - due 2018-03-08].

<alastairc> https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/timeouts/understanding/21/timeouts.html

<alastairc> ACTION-271: https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/timeouts/understanding/21/timeouts.html

<trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-271 Review the understanding doc for timeouts.

<kirkwood> great!

Collecting information on how to work more effectively with WCAG

Alastair: Lisa wants to collect info about how we can work better with WCAG.
... I assume one difficulty is email volume.

Jan: We need to note that our task force has a lot of SME, but not so much with standards development.

Alastair: That's what I'm going to work on most.

<kirkwood> +1 to Jan, it is helpful having Alastair! maybe understanding the current status of items (in one place) related to COGA items could be helpful?

Jan: Yes, email volume is a problem. Commenting and responding to surveys is difficult because many comments are technical.
... Hesitancy to respond to people who provide negative feedback based upon technical expertise that COGA members may not know how to respond to.

<Jan> +1 to John Rochford's comment about empirical evidence

Alastair: What can be provide to the wider group in terms how to work with people with cognitive impairments?

we, not be

<kirkwood> I may have some ideas on that. I’m on the board of the Brain Injury Association on NYS that has similar issues.

Jan: People can be asked to be respectful.
... We can provide examples and training if needed.

Alastair: Perhaps, before events, such as CSUN, we could distribute cheat sheets about how to work with people with cognitive disabilites.
... We could recruit people more on the technical side, which I will work on.
... Just saying there is a user need does not mean a standard is needed.
... Would it be beneficial to understand the standards better, and their associated technologies?

Jan: I entered the task force after having been asked to copyedit, but was overwhelmed by not understanding everything and by not knowing the history.

<Jan> Please review this post about 2.1: https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/03/wcag-2-1-success-criteria-for-cognitive-disabilities/

Alastair, would you please wrap this up for me? I don't know how.

I have to get to my next meeting.

<alastairc> Yep, no problem.

<kirkwood> thank you

<alastairc> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: kirkwood to review the understanding doc for Timeouts
[NEW] ACTION: Mark Wilcock to review the understanding doc for Idenify purpose
[NEW] ACTION: Mark_Wilcock to review the understanding doc for Idenify purpose

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/03/01 16:12:57 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: JohnRochford, MichaelC, MarkWilcock, Jan, kirkwood, alastairc
Present: JohnRochford MichaelC MarkWilcock Jan kirkwood alastairc
Regrets: LisaSeeman
Found Scribe: JohnRochard
Found Scribe: JohnRochford
Inferring ScribeNick: JohnRochford
Scribes: JohnRochard, JohnRochford
Found Date: 01 Mar 2018
People with action items: kirkwood mark mark_wilcock wilcock

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]