Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

21 Feb 2018


janina, JF, MichaelC, Joanmarie_Diggs, IanPouncey, gottfried, Becka11y


<scribe> scribe: gottfried

preview agenda with items from two minutes

Ian: Have to leave in 25 mins

Gottfried: Sabbatical from Mar-Aug 2018 in Atlanta

APA github now protected branch

CSS Update

Ian: Proposed email on the CSS a11y test force.

<IanPouncey> "The CSS Accessibility Task Force is a group endeavour between the CSS Working Group, ARIA Working Group, and the Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Working Group to review and advise on the accessibility concerns and requirements for CSS specifications.

<IanPouncey> We currently have a large backlog of specifications that require review, so we are looking for people to join the task force. If you are interested in participating in the CSS A11Y TF, please send an e-mail to mailto:w3c@ipouncey.co.uk and include a little bit about what you’re interested in and how you think that you may be able to contribute to the Task Force."

John: Where are you sending this email to? E.g. public lists?

Ian: Webaim is a good idea.

Janina: Need to be clear that W3C is hosting. WAI-IG.

John: General call should go wide - more likely to get responses.
... Twitter - people can retweet

Ian: Yes. I'll send the email to W3C. And make it clear that this belongs to W3C, and send out to external mailing lists as well.

Michael: Can somebody pass me a proposed tweet, with hashtags?

Ian: I will do.

John: Do we allow non-W3C members to participate?

Michael: People can always submit pull requests. That's the main mechanism right now.
... CSS task force should allow for non-W3C members. Need to look.

Ian: Non-members can comment.

Janina: Don't like to think about changing to community group.

Ian: Last call for global correspondence for animations in CSS. Nobody objected. I will send the email.

APA github now protected branch

Janina: we are not on a protected branch - need owner
... We have some docs that we are actively working on now.

Michael: Protected means that in the APA repo changes need to be approved before publication.
... Multiple members can make parallel edits, and then send pull requests.
... We use this model in WCAG.
... Give me your Github user name and i will set you up.

Becky: We can still create a fork into our local repo, right?

Michael: Better do not fork because if they fall out of date, it is hard to sync up.
... Other people cannot see what you are doing.
... Only external people have to use forks.

Becky: So better to branch.

Janina: MAUR will come up, and other docs - talking shortly.

Meeting with TTML Preview

Janina: Next week joint meeting with TTML.
... Agenda next week.
... Goal: Find an accommodation that we all can live with.

John: It is possible that i won't be able to join the meeting.

Janina: Let me know as early as possible if you will be able to attend.

John: I will try hard.
... The main issue: Caption text can be formatted by the user.
... This may block parts of the video. This may become an "inaccessible user experience" as somebody has put it.
... We have examples of making captions really big.
... I'd like to see some language that reassures content creators that users don't get frustrated when bumping up the captions if they need it.

Janina: Why say anything if the spec does not prohibit this?

John: Some of the caption people cannot imaging the advanced a11y use cases.
... Guidance in the docs should be just educational.

q ack

Gottfried: I won't be able to attend next week.
... There was some language in TTML that assumed that the caption creator "sets the format in stone". We need to adjust this language.

Janina: Reschedule the call?

John: I will try everything to be able to attend.

Janina: They need to understand that the user needs to be able to change font according to their needs.

John: Agree.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

<JF> "Author proposes, User disposes"

Michael: Shall i close the WebVTT actions?

<Becka11y> have to step out for a minute - brb

John: I still have some dangling responses - keep those assigned to me
... Meeting with WebVTT people scheduled for next week.


<trackbot> action-2162 -- John Foliot to Prepare response to webvtt request for feedback on 2015 comments -- due 2018-01-10 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2162


<trackbot> action-2167 -- John Foliot to Follow up with webvtt comments due fewb 6 -- due 2018-02-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2167


<trackbot> action-2158 -- Ian Pouncey to Manage review of css animations https://www.w3.org/tr/css-animations-1/ in context of previous pf activity from 5 years ago -- due 2018-02-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2158



<trackbot> action-2159 -- Ian Pouncey to Manage review of css transforms https://www.w3.org/tr/css-transforms-1/ note pf feedback from 2009 -- due 2018-02-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2159


<trackbot> action-2163 -- Ian Pouncey to Manage review of css basic user interface module level 4 -- due 2018-01-10 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2163


<trackbot> action-2153 -- John Foliot to Review and draft a warning note for orienation api spec, for apa review -- due 2018-02-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2153

John: Please extend

Michael: It is probably for screen orientation api
... Let's leave it open for now.

<MichaelC> action-2153: assuming https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/The_Screen_Orientation_API

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2153 Review and draft a warning note for orienation api spec, for apa review.


<trackbot> action-2123 -- Ted Drake to Triage changelog of dom 4.1 https://www.w3.org/tr/dom41/#historical-changes-fpwd-dom4 - note stuff on mutation -- due 2018-01-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2123

Becky: I am supposed to look at shadow DOM


<trackbot> action-2052 -- Becky Gibson to Review https://www.w3.org/tr/shadow-dom/ shadow dom -- due 2018-02-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2052

Janina: Shane looked at DOM in the past. With shadow DOM we need to be more careful since it is more AT oriented

Michael: Leave it open for now?

Janina: yes


<trackbot> action-2038 -- Michael Cooper to Raise [https://www.w3.org/tr/credential-management-1/ credential management level 1] for re-review -- due 2018-02-18 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2038

Michael: Has been republished once.
... There is content in it now
... Fred took a look, made some notes.
... Pass on to coga. Moved to me when Fred left.
... We probably should review it now.
... Fred thought that somebody from payments tf should be involved.

Janina: Sounds like me.

<MichaelC> ACTION: janina to review Credential Management Level 1

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2168 - Review credential management level 1 [on Janina Sajka - due 2018-02-28].

<MichaelC> action-2168: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Credential_Management_Level_1

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2168 Review credential management level 1.

<MichaelC> action-2168: https://www.w3.org/TR/credential-management-1/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2168 Review credential management level 1.

<MichaelC> close action-2038

<trackbot> Closed action-2038.

Michael: Old stuff following.

Janina: First clean up new charter.


Meeting with TTML Preview

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: There are 3 web assembly specs
... Like assembly language for the web.
... Algorithmic specs - i cannot read them.
... We don't need to review, i think

John: It is backend stuff.

Michael: I did a quick scan. No feature that would make it impossible to do alt text.

Janina: If they were ui-related, they would need to be more specific about platform.

Michael: If you were using this tech, you would have to do all a11y support from scratch.
... But it should be possible.
... Maybe we need to request an a11y statement.

Janina: Maybe i should send them a note, asking for clarification of use cases.

Michael: Maybe we should have a review of web assembly core then.


Janina: Give me an action for Mar 14
... Suggest them to use our self-assessment tool.
... Maybe we need an accessibility impact statement

<MichaelC> ACTION: Janina to ask Web Assembly WG about Web Assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact UI and need a11y advice about using a11y API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2169 - Ask web assembly wg about web assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact ui and need a11y advice about using a11y api [on Janina Sajka - due 2018-02-28].

<MichaelC> action-2169: https://www.w3.org/TR/wasm-core-1/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2169 Ask web assembly wg about web assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact ui and need a11y advice about using a11y api.

<MichaelC> action-2169: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebAssembly_Core_Specification

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2169 Ask web assembly wg about web assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact ui and need a11y advice about using a11y api.

Michael: The other new TRs:

<MichaelC> Custom Elements

Janina: We should wait until Leonie is here.

Michael: It says: Warning - no longer being updated as a stand-alone specification (as of Aug 2016)

Janina: Seems they have been sloppy in their status.
... Charles said something about custom elements being folded into main HTML.
... We don't care about the status note.

Michael: We have a note - probably scary for a11y. Janina was asked to follow up.
... The action is old.

<MichaelC> action-2075 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-2075 Check with léonie and steve on custom elements https://www.w3.org/tr/custom-elements/ due date to 2018-02-28.

<MichaelC> action-2075: also relationship to web components?

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2075 Check with léonie and steve on custom elements https://www.w3.org/tr/custom-elements/.

Michael: Custom elements vs. web components

John: Charles wrote a note about custom elements moving into the main html spec.

Janina: We may need to ask Charles to join.
... But he is in a bad time zone.

Michael: We don't have web components in our wiki.

Shall we publish the A11y Self-Survey?

Janina: This came up in the WAI-CC call driven by Judy.

<MichaelC> Framework for Accessibility in the Specification of Technologies (FAST)

<MichaelC> FAST checklist

Janina: Survey should have a higher priority than writing a doc.
... APA should look into this. Moving to a 1.0 publication.
... How do people feel about that?

Michael: I propose to publish Web Technology Accessibility Guidelines into TR.
... Section 3 on meeting user needs.
... I filled out section 4 on making best use of time.
... The second doc is the checklist. http://w3c.github.io/apa/fast/checklist
... Contains references to relevant specs.
... In theory, people could use this in reviewing conformance to the guidelines.
... I don't think this should become a TR.

John: Why not checklist as TR?

Michael: Hard to update and format in a useful way.
... Same as quickref for WCAG 2.0

John: Your table 4.3 Meeting user needs. Hard to read.

Gottfried: ISO/IEC DIS 29138-1 User Needs Summary, probably going to be published this year.

Michael: There are references, but this is missing. I'll be happy to add it.

Gottfried: ISO standard has useful taxonomy. Origin is Gregg's work on user needs in the 90s.

Michael: I was going to develop a taxonomy, but will look at the ISO standard.

Janina: Looks like we agree on the procedure.
... Discuss further steps next week on WAI-CC?

Michael: Yes, discuss in WAI-CC.

Janina: Okay, then bring it back here.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Janina to ask Web Assembly WG about Web Assembly core, what are use cases, does it impact UI and need a11y advice about using a11y API
[NEW] ACTION: janina to review Credential Management Level 1

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/02/21 18:02:05 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/to/on/
Succeeded: s/2/3/
Default Present: janina, JF, MichaelC, Joanmarie_Diggs, IanPouncey, gottfried, Becka11y
Present: janina JF MichaelC Joanmarie_Diggs IanPouncey gottfried Becka11y
Found Scribe: gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: gottfried
Found Date: 21 Feb 2018
People with action items: janina

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]