14 Feb 2018



Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_Koster, Michael_McCool, GraemeColeman, Daniel_Peintner, Taki_Kamiya, Kunihiko_Toumura, Matthias_Kovatsch, Toru_Kawaguchi, Zoltan_Kis, Soumya_Kanti_Datta, Kazuaki_Nimura, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Barry_Leiba, Dave_Raggett
Yongjing, Kajimoto
Matthias, McCool


<kaz> scribenick: GraemeColeman


<mkovatsc> Agenda

Koster: A couple of times from protocol items for the agenda.

Quick updates

McCool: Added a security questionnaire for the PlugFest in the WoT Github repo.
... Will hold out on discussion until we talk about security TF updates

<mkovatsc> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/WoTF2F201803/

Next face to face

Please register. We have about 15 participants, but our overall estimate is that 25 people will show up in Prague.

Koster: I have made a note to register.

Soumya: Some BMW people may come to Prague, but not sure if they've registered yet.

<mkovatsc> Attendees so far: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/WoTF2F201803/results

Kaz: Will they be there for just the Open Day or for the whole meeting?

Soumya: Just the PlugFest and Open Day
... I have already told Benjamin to register, but he will remind Daniel next Monday when he returns from vacation.

Graeme: Is the PlugFest still going ahead?

Matthias: Yes, it is still going ahead over the weekend.

<kaz> [Mar. 23: joint meeting /w OCF; Mar. 24-25: PlugFest; Mar. 26: OpenDay; Mar. 27-29: f2f]

McCool: Joint Workshop/OCF - Currently there is a room booked at the OCF on the Friday morning, but it may be difficult for some ITF attendees to attend. We are trying to get the time moved until the afternoon, but this will be dependent on other factors.
... If you must your flight, book it on the assumption that the above will be in the morning. Or, if you can, wait until everything is finalised.

McCool: Please register as soon as you can so that we can have numbers for the venue.

BarryLeiba: I should be able to make it for Friday morning, but may be available to Thursday evening. Will provide a final answer this Friday.
... Do not hold anything up just for me.

<barryleiba> Correction to the above for minutes: I may have to leave Thursday evening anyway, so I could be there Friday morning after all. But I'll know more this Friday (16 Feb).

McCool: As of now, it's definitely booked for Friday morning, but it may be moved to the afternoon.

Matthias: We don't have a local host - if you know of anyone who could help organise the face-to-face let me know. All that would be needed is someone to help organise the hotels and other small chores.

McCool: Is mkovatsc's organisation able to provide a small budget?

Matthias: Yes, but the Sheraton is beyond the budget, so we're still looking. There is no registration fee.
... Does anyone know of anyone who can help with the local organization?

TF reports - TD

Matthias: The review has been postponed. We were hoping for this Friday, but it may need be next Wednesday. There are still a few details to discuss.

TF - Scripting API

<dape> https://w3c.github.io/wot-scripting-api/

Zoltan: We have merged things that still need to be ironed out, but we now have an editors draft for the face-to-face
... Security review: there is more feedback to come from Elena. In this version, we don't really cover security (but there is an Editor's note).

Daniel: Refer to Editor's note above - please take a look.

Matthias: The link is now available for public review and available for pull requests?

Daniel: Correct

TF - Binding Templates

Koster: We now have something fairly stable, but in yesterday's meeting we came up with a proposal that deals with some of the outstanding requirements (a vocabulary change on the data schema).
... Some editorial changes submitted to the document, but it's almost ready to go in its current state. One more pass after vocabulary change is discussed.
... I would like to talk over an example today.

Matthias: That should be OK for today, as only one or two items left to discuss.

<mjkoster> https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/issues/13

<kaz> Koster's message (the message itself is Member-only)
  "name": "Current brightness",
  "@type": ["Property", "iot:CurrentDimmer"],
  "schema": {
    "type": "object",
    "observable": "true",
    "field": [
        "name": "brightness",
        "@type": ["iot:DimmerData" ],
        "schema": {
          "type": "integer",
          "minimum": 0,
          "maximum": 255
  "form": []

Koster: We want to add three terms - schema, input schema, output schema.
... We hope to get this incorporated for the PlugFest.

Matthias: You need to move observable: true up one level.

<mkovatsc> https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/84#issuecomment-364262432

Koster: OK, moved to immediately under the name at the top

Matthias: Note the above comment. We shouldn't call it a JSON schema if we don't use the JSON schema syntax.
... Otherwise it can cause confusion (OpenAPI used something like JSON Schema, but not exactly, and this caused problems).
... Using "schema" is fine on its own, but "JSON schema" is a misnomer.

Koster: I will replace all instances of "JSON schema" with "data schema", and provide a definition for the latter that clearly distinguishes it from JSON schema. This is possible.

Matthias: Properties (input/output): We should keep this open. There should be proper names so that we don't get confused about the direction of the schema. We need to find something that's technically correct, but also understandable.

Koster: I propose "accept schema" (something you can send) and "content schema" (something that's exposed).

<mkovatsc> https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/66

Daniel: Do you plan to integrate name change before Prague?

Matthias: My understanding was to do it before Prague.

Daniel: For the scripting API point of view, this will need to be aligned.

Koster: Going forward, we need to resolve the discussion on how we rename the directions, then we can freeze it in time for Prague.

McCool: Input and output are fine for actions, but potentially confusing for other types of interactions.
... Topic - TF: Security

<McCool> https://github.com/mmccool/ndss-wot-sec/tree/master/talk

McCool: Reviewed the above presentation for NDSS paper. Elena did a readthrough of the preliminary scripting API, and is focusing on the use cases to do security analysis

Matthias: ...

"security": {

"authorization": "Proxy"

"href": "http://plugfest.thingweb.io:8087"


McCool: Can mkovatsc document the demonstration for the PlugFest?
... I can try implementing it in my demonstration to support interoperability

<mkovatsc> https://www.npmjs.com/org/node-wot

<mkovatsc> 0.3.0

Matthias: Node-wot released on NPM
... Repository is pointing to 0.4.0, which is PlugFest Prague target

<kaz> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.147 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/02/16 17:46:16 $