Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

29 Nov 2017


jasonjgw, scott_h, janina


Potential RQTF topics arising from TPAC 2017 - review.

<jasonjgw> Jason: the purpose is to discuss research topics arising from the W3C TPAC 2017 meetings.

<jasonjgw> Janina notes that TPAC was a successful meeting from an APA Working Group perspective.

<jasonjgw> Janina: Authentication - it wasn't feasible to schedule a joint meeting with Web Authentication WG at TPAC, but a joint APA/Authentication meeting will be scheduled at a teleconference.

<jasonjgw> It is most likely in their regular meeting time of 1:00pm Boston (1800 UTC).

<jasonjgw> The date is still to be determined.

<jasonjgw> Michael notes related work in the Accessibility Guidelines WG regarding authentication, which is presently raising complex issues.

<jasonjgw> Janina: WebVR - questions have been raised concerning how to make navigation accessible in 3D virtual environments.

<jasonjgw> Janina characterizes this question as part of a larger navigational requirements discussion, with related issues having been raised in connection with recent CSS specifications. We need to think in terms of different scenarios and analyze. The implications aren't clear but we'll be asked to think about them.

<jasonjgw> Scott: asks what the default viewpoint of the user is in VR (e.g., a standing position, from the perspective of being in a wheelchair, etc.), and how this affects navigation.

<jasonjgw> Janina concurs taht this is a consideration.

<jasonjgw> Janina: augmented reality scenarios should also be included.

<jasonjgw> Janina: automotive working group - they're taking an incremental approach toward fully autonomous vehicles. Use cases are likely to be provided by them, but we also need to document use cases that would be of interest in their work. User interface considerations in vehicles aren't yet the subject of their work - they've been concentrating on systems communication - but user interface issues are on the

<jasonjgw> horizon.

<jasonjgw> Scott is working on related issues (arising from other work) regarding the indications taht an autonomous vehicle should give in various situations to address the needs of a person with a disability.

<jasonjgw> Janina: We need to consider it from the other direction - not fully autonomous vehicles that may use visual overlays to provide salient messages to a human driver.

<jasonjgw> Janina and Scott note issues that arise from ageing - those who can still drive vehicles but not necessarily safely (or not under all circumstances).

<jasonjgw> Janina notes that the industry is divided between efforts to build fully autonomous vehicles and other efforts that partially automate the vehicle (providing useful subsystems).

<jasonjgw> Janina notes the challenges raised by edge cases, and the attendant safety considerations where fast-moving vehicles are involved.

<jasonjgw> Janina suggests collaborating with the CSS Accessibility Task Force on the navigational questions.

<jasonjgw> Web Payments: Janina notes taht specifications pertaining to financial transactions are under development. Micropayments may become the sole means of economic engagement for economically disadvantaged populations. In this context, accessibility is of fundamental importance in order to include those with disabilities. We need to undertake use case definition and requriement gathering.

<jasonjgw> Janina's example: accessible receipts: supporting point of sale terminals in providing accessible receipts by connecting the inventory data with the transaction-related data.

<jasonjgw> Scott acknoweldges the issue.

<jasonjgw> Janina: it's just one example of possible use cases - we need to encourage thinking about these scenarios.

<jasonjgw> Janina: we need to consider how to bring this into the scope of the payment-related Web standards. It would currently be considered out of scope.

<jasonjgw> Janina: there is a process in place for preparing a document (currently via a Community Group) detailing use cases and requirements.

<scribe> scribe: janina

jgw: Also had TPAC hallway conversation re Verifiable Claims re personalization
... Don't fully grasp the issue yet
... Was asked what p13n properties would be most desirable in a VC scenario
... A grade transcript which would come with attested metadata verifying accuracy
... Mechanisms for p13n still indeterminate

js: Asks for VC definition ...

[we-re unclear]

mc: Make expressing and exchanges claims more secure and verifiable on the web

<MichaelC_> https://www.w3.org/2017/vc/WG/

<MichaelC_> https://www.w3.org/TR/verifiable-claims-use-cases/

mc: i.e. an authenticated claim, not forged

sh: Unclear the a11y problem

jgw: Also unclear, but we're being asked

mc: See two overlaps --

<jasonjgw> Janina notes that APA routinely considers questions of whether there are accessibility implications arising from work related to a spec - including whether there are solutions needed that haven't yet been identified, in which case it's an RQTF topic.

mc: are p13n expressable into vc?
... do we want p13n verifiable via vc?

Accessibility of the Web of Things - update.

jgw: Thanks to Scott for recent contribs
... I've not yet followed up on due to WCAG

sh: My action was to pull things together
... Initially only included non W3 work, but have corrected that
... sh: Let's all read and we can talk again

Miscellaneous topics.

<jasonjgw> Janina raises the question of the WebVR workshop and how our work might be raised there.

<jasonjgw> Janina notes both the upcoming workshop and a proposed joint meeting with WebVR.

jgw: Distillation on wiki -- not taylored to authoring WebVR -- but relevant

sh: Think we've pulled key things together well, should be useful to Shadi at the Workshop

jgw: Wiki is useful joint meeting background

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/11/29 15:00:36 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: jasonjgw, scott_h, janina
Present: jasonjgw scott_h janina
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 29 Nov 2017
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]