15 Nov 2017



Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Kunihiko_Touura, Michael_Lagally, Taki_Kamiya, Michael_Koster, Sebastian_Kaebisch, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Toru_Kawaguchi, Kazuo_Kajimoto, Masato_Ohura, Keiichi_Tokuyama


welcome Michael Lagally

<mlagally> I have audio issues - mlagally is fine

<mlagally> thanks for welcome - I'll introduce myself later

ietf100 presentation on WoT and semantic interoperability

<kaz> McCool's slides

publication plan

<kaz> scribenick: kaz

mccool: discussed the plan during TPAC
... what about binding?

mjkoster: document expected by the end of year

mjkoster: have problem with editing wiki

<kaz> publication plan (slide 8)

kaz: put the slides on publication plan above
... slide 8 of the pdf

mccool: ok
... (goes through the slides)

TPAC wrap up

<kaz> scribenick: mjkoster

<kaz> draft compiled minutes from TPAC meetings

mccool: archive presentations and posters

kaz: we can use the github for that purpose, or we can use the W3C official server for that purpose as well (the same directory as the minutes file) send to Kaz for archiving

mccool: posters are archived with thumbnail images
... should rename presentations with prefix and ordering
... please create issues in the issue tracker to capture feedback from the meeting

<kaz> PlugFest posters

mccool: on the appropriate repo

reports from Task Forces

<kaz> draft minutes

sebastian: no news since last week
... we used the new TD structure with observe flag and input/output data construct

<kaz> TDs for PlugFest in Burlingame

sebastian: but not many are using the new features
... at the breakout session we had some discussion about improvements
... data type definitions
... also discussed the stability flag which was in a previous TD
... also discussed hierarchy, grouping structure

<kaz> TD discussion on Day 1

<kaz> Hierarchies in TD

sebastian: also discussed integration of protocol bindings
... good input for planning the next few weeks work

mccool: included new features in TD but it was not automatically consumed

sebastian: there was also some focus on proxies
... a new big topic is the simple JSON TD representation
... the simple JSON could be a default
... omitting the more difficult items like media type

mccool: created a breakdown of sub-features to analyze this issue
... also may help improve the json-ld version
... created issues in the TD repo
... suggesting 3 sections for interactions, specializing on events, actions, and properties descriptions

<kaz> TD issues

mccool: for example, the only place @type is required is to name the interaction type
... scripting TF report?

<kaz> (Zoltan or Nimura-san not here)

mccool: protocol bindings?

mjkoster: had some binding features manually evaluated at the plugfest

mccool: security TF, working on the paper to be submitted for NDIS conference
... an issue came up about authentication for semantic search
... including discussion of authenticated search and discovery in the paper

<kaz> NDSS DISS 2018 Workshop Paper on WoT Security Model

mccool: we should write up more about the thing directory
... maybe a note
... will be on vacation and travel for next 2 weeks
... expect to be busy on the paper between the 1st and the 8th
... asking Elena to run the security meetings for the next 2 weeks
... pointer to the meeting minutes with this discussion

<kaz> draft minutes

mccool: send comments to Kaz
... and he will update the minutes


mccool: may be time to re-open the OCF liaison
... will be at the same location in the spring in Prague
... iot.schema.org has some issues and needs more work
... want to feed these issues back into the development
... github issues on iotschema-collab
... https should be used on iotschema
... schema.org doesn't use https


mkoster to add an issue on iotschema repo about https

mccool: need to present WoT to OCF

mjkoster: suggest using Thing Description and RDF as a hogh level language to use in OCF Oneiota tool

mccool: even if they don't adopt RDF, the ontologies provide useful information

need to engage the OCF DM group and Smart Home group

mccool: also need to move forward with oneM2M

mjkoster: suggest a presentation we can have prepared to talk about semantic interoperability with other organizations
... zigbee alliance also is talking about having a universal language for IoT

mccool: we should look at the data models from other orgs and make iotschema definitions

kajimoto: what is the goal of the iot schema.org activity?
... how does it work with WoT

mjkoster: the relationship between iotschema and W3C WoT is for iotschema to adopt the interaction model meta-classes of event, action, and property
... iotschema is a venue for domain experts from different industries to specialize their work on the semantic definitions that are needed for their industry
... for example, automotive experts can form a task group and create definitions for the automotive industry
... likewise, healthcare, automotive, etc.
... these definitions will be compatible with W3C TD because of the use of the common interaction model of events, actions, and properties

<kaz> kajimoto: what is the relationship between iotscheme and schema.org?

mjkoster: iotschema is expected to become part of schema.org, with common tools and representations such that developers using schema.org can easily add WoT functionality to their applications
... however, iotschema will need to have a new governance structure to accommodate the new contributors and diverse schema definitions
... the IPR model for iotschema follows schema.org, using the CC sharealike license, which is very permissive
... we are not planning to publish any definitions that have IPR claims attached to them
... finally, we will write up more of the above into our charter document for iotschema

TD call this Friday

sebastian: topic: should we have a TD meeting on Friday
... who can not make it to the meeting on Friday?
... need to ask on email to see if we can get enough people

collaboration (revisited)

<Zakim> kaz, you wanted to mention the great achievement of the orchestrated plugfest and appreciate the great support of Fujitsu for that

kaz: we already have a liaison with OCF but not yet with onem2m?

mccool: the OCF liaison is not complete because of an IPR question
... mkoster and mccool are still able to be informal liaison as members of both organizations
... if we can get OCF to adopt TD, then we will need a tighter relationship

kaz: the informal liaison is OK for now, also with oneM2M with yongjing as co-member

mccool: again, if we can get iotschema definitions for these ecosystems, we can have a better chance to engage

thanks to Fujitsu for PlugFest preparation logistics

kaz: would like to acknowledge Fujitsu for all the support of the plugfest

mccool: should generate a list of feedback items

kaz: thanks to Taki for all the work and support

mccool: move to adjourn

<kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/11/16 04:29:57 $