30 Aug 2017


Michael_McCool, Barry_Leiba, Zoltan_Kis, Daniel_Peintner, Kaz_Ashimura, Dave_Raggett, Federico_SiSmondi, Kazuo_Kajimoto, Kunihiko_Toumura, Matthias_Kovatsch, Michael_Koster, Niklas_Widell, Ryuichi_Matsukura, Soumya_Kanti_Datta, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Uday_Davuluru, Masato_Ohura, Katsuyoshi_Naka, Yongjing_Zhang, Keiichi_Tokuyama
Matthias, McCool, Kajimoto
McCool, kaz


<mkovatsc> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Agenda

<McCool> scribenick: McCool


pre-meeting discussion: security TF should create a basic outline of material to go in each "security considerations" section at least

will also put in editor's notes saying these sections are works in progress

security tf will work on making pull requests for this purpose in our next meeting monday

Quick updates

kaz: TPAC, breakout session, need to clarify requirements, planner team needs to know
... we need to make decisions about what to be provided by W3C and which by us

Matthias: added demo vs. plugfest sections to wiki
... will discuss later under TPAC logisitics


still a few issues for editors to resolve, but please review

open issues, raise objections, etc.

next week we want a resolution that docs are ready to forward to project manager

will be meeting on 7th, documents to go online on 12th

so we need to make final decision on 6th

please also report typos etc

(will be reviewed on 7th by project management team)

architecture document has quite a bit of restructuring

<mkovatsc> https://w3c.github.io/wot-architecture/

also terminology doc, decided to leave it in md for now for easier editing

<mkovatsc> https://github.com/w3c/wot-architecture/blob/master/terminology.md

please take a look, use issue tracker

also look at existing issues

any comments for other documents?

anyone what to make any specific requests for things to review?

<mkovatsc> https://w3c.github.io/wot-scripting-api/

matthias: terminology needs to be checked, add terms as necessary

we also want to get the TD document out as part of the FPWD

<mkovatsc> https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/

so please use the issue tracker to review that as well

also architecture


protocol binding will be excluded, not part of this FPWD

also details in other documents about this will be omitted for now

matthias: there is a placeholder for protocol bindings in TD document for now...

matthias: did not think we could get this out in time, better to defer it than release something half-baked

koster: others look pretty good, agree template document not at that level yet

matthias: one issue is status of mk

kaz: ppssibly mk can be an invited expert by the end of Friday... so delay will be in the scope of weeks

can target mid-September for a publication date

matthias: to summarize: please look at arch, scripting, and TD

do review before next wednesday

if you don't provide feedback by Friday though we won't have time for bigger fixes

mccool: we will also only be doing security pull requests for outlines in each section on Monday

<kaz> scribenick: kaz

Security workshops

<mkovatsc> http://www.internetsociety.org/events/ndss-symposium

<kaz> https://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2018/cfworkshops.html

mccool: 2 candidates: NDSS and IEEE
... during the security tf calls we looked at those candidates
... NDSS will be February
... IEEE will be May
... the deadline for NDSS is tomorrow
... I'm generating draft proposal
... deadline for IEEE is September 20
... would try to submit a proposal for NDSS tomorrow
... if NDSS guys say NO, would submit the proposal to IEEE
... would avoid duplication
... need an organizing/program committee
... people to be on the call
... ideally with background of security
... anybody willing to join?
... program chair or program committee
... please let me know right now :)
... will add your name
... if you have experience of workshops, let me know
... it's an academic conference, so should be familiar with standard/academia
... very narrow scope
... reviewing our proposed standards

<Soumya> i can help, i already run such workshops

mccool: if rejected, we can try IEEE
... IEEE is more academic workshop
... NDSS rather invited papers
... we can negotiate with NDSS editors group as well

matthias: this is a workshop which should review our standards
... goals achieve for our specs

mccool: metadata, interoperability, etc., impacts security for WoT
... as narrow as possible
... getting review for our specs
... Web standards applicable to WoT
... Hydra, etc.
... one day easily

matthias: how to combine security building block
... there are a lot of security portions out there

mccool: my current proposal is "IoT Security"
... easily have 5-day conf
... making a bit focused
... as narrow as possible

matthias: probably some of the IETF standards as well

mccool: right
... CoAP, etc.
... technically IETF standards
... same issue with bridging
... including OCF

matthias: make sense

mccool: broad enough and focused on security for IoT standards
... and we have interoperability viewpoint
... still narrow enough
... will circulate the proposal tomorrow before submitting it
... shor-term issue is participation
... will send a call for participation
... maybe Barry and Soumya?

barry: yes

soumya: yes

matthias: anybody have background with NDSS?

barry: yes

matthias: would be quite helpful

mccool: we need to know the result of NDSS by Sep 20
... if NDSS one is rejected, would try IEEE right away

matthias: tx

Matsukura-san's proposal for PlugFest

Matsukura-san's issue on plugfest (#346)

Matsukura-san's slides

matsu: objective
... unresolved issues
... functional roles of WoT servients

(trouble with WebEx audio and Matsukura-san rejoins)

matsu: [Functional roles of WoT Servients]
... 3 types of servients
... 1. SV with ExposedThing (device)
... 2. SV with ConsumedThing (app)
... 3. SV with Exposed/ConsumedThing (gateway)
... basic integration model: SV with ExposedThing <=> SV with Consumed/ExposedThing <=> SV with ConsumedThing
... [Unresolved issues for plugfest]
... how to search/get TD from the other SVs
... how to collect/manage TD exposed by SVs
... how to communicate between SVs, transport protocols (binding) and payload format (TD)
... how to operate SVs from cloud/internet
... how to orchestrate SVs in a large scale
... how to protect SVs from cyber attacks
... please add your issues to the f2f wiki

uday: anticipation of binding
... more for class implementation for different protocols
... interface between Servients is TD
... so not directly related to binding?

matsu: would like to get information from you all

kaz: there should be some feedback about binding as well
... given people are working on various protocols

matthias: good to go along with binding and media types

uday: you can add security portion as well

matthias: the idea was that each participant get prepared
... and see what is used
... what is the initial idea to describe TD, etc.
... collection mechanism by wiki
... e.g., HTTPS mechanism by Panasonic

matsu: would like to get some small amount of requirements first

matthias: one comment from the Chairs call
... Current Practices document
... we need to have a complete/overall document
... interesting to include these expectations
... fot plugfest itself

PlugFest logistics

kaz: updated the f2f wiki with logistics information for plugfest


matthias: ok
... will meet at Fujitsu in Sunnyvale
... during weekend
... finalize the demo there
... because it's TPAC, so we just have usual meeting rooms
... we need to clarify standard configuration for plugfest
... would require additional cost for the setting
... matsukura-san has started to collect information for plugfest

mccool: can bring HDMI switch which can provide 4-5 outputs

matthias: we should clarify what's needed and what can be brought on the wiki

kaz: using the plugfest table?

matthias: no, new list below that

<mkovatsc> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_4-10_November_2017,_Burlingame,_CA,_USA#TPAC_Plenary_Demo_.288_Nov_2017.29

matthias: Kaz, please continue to work with the meeting planner team about the cost

mccool: a bit concerned the cost would be much given the hotel rate...

kaz: will let you know about the cost when it's clarified

matthias: anything else?


[ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/08/31 00:32:41 $