Silver Task Force Teleconference

25 Aug 2017

See also: IRC log


SarahHorton, Jan, Jeanne, Dave, Shawn, sloandr, Jennison


<sloandr> I'd like to propose we talk about a plan for surveying other stakeholders

<scribe> scribe: Sarah

Jeanne: follow-up on diary participants, heard from Andrew Arch who expects to have a participant
... Jemma is reaching out to someone in Korea
... Has not heard back from contact in Japan

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne to contact more people in Japan to recruit people for diary study [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/08/25-silver-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-116 - Contact more people in japan to recruit people for diary study [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2017-09-01].

Jennison: Do we have an update on compensation

Jeanne: No guarantee, will reach out to contact

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne to contact Amazon for gift card compensation for diary study [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/08/25-silver-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-117 - Contact amazon for gift card compensation for diary study [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2017-09-01].

Jeanne: Reminder that Dave Swallow would like to start study Sept 1

Jennison: Assuming he will start the following week

Jeanne: Has drafted proposal for three interview projects, on Google Drive

Dave: Has put thoughts into Google Drive in surveys subfolder
... Have survey of UX professionals
... Have standard demographic questions
... Have other questions about usability of SCs
... We have translation support
... We have a big list of names of stakeholders
... Used that list as basis for determining stakeholder groups
... Reads out list of stakeholder groups, could become list of people we could survey
... Also listed research questions that could be explored using surveys
... Reviewed next steps
... 1 Prioritise stakeholder groups to survey
... 2 Populate the question bank with questions that could be asked of more than one stakeholder group
... 3 Write stakeholder-specific questions
... 4 Identify distribution plan
... 5 QA survey
... 6 Create Translated version
... 7 Launch survey
... 8 Analysis
... Finally, log survey design and progress
... Purpose was to gather thoughts and start a conversation within group about approach

Shawn: Within next steps, add step 0 and have that be to prioritize and group questions
... Some stakeholder groups will be better suited to answering specific questions
... Provides context for prioritizing stakeholder groups

Jennison: Other groups that guidelines aren't reaching, like mobile app developers and designers
... All the other stuff that's future thinking for all the people who don't access web guidelines
... Accessibility professionals, broad group that includes designers and developers that do accessibility?

Dave: Overlap, will have people who fall into multiple groups
... Do we survey people who do development and don't mention accessibility until you're into survey or
... Do we reach out to people who do accessibility, not sure

Jennison: What about reaching out to people the guidelines aren't currently reaching

Shawn: When we created stakeholder map we made sure it included people who weren't web focused
... Tried to make it generic to cover technologies and people who are left out because of narrow focus on web content

Jennison: Do you feel we have that representation? Or do we need to recruit more people from non-web

Shawn: We have a few indentified but more outreach would be beneficial

Jennison: Make sure we have at least one activity that is directed to non-web development/design

Shawn: Yes, developer could be mobile, VR, native application
... Talk through prioritization of research questions?

Dave: Will edit doc as we discuss

Group reviews questions in list and sets priority levels

Dave: Based in ranking exercise, can identify stakeholder groups to target for priority questions

<Lauriat> Stakeholder map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/128vPnCweXN9t4JBG7-AOeBhT-KquaWXcCsi3H-f8u94/preview

Shawn: Brainstormed roles related to accessibility
... Tried to keep it granular to be helpful but not too many roles
... Identified interactions with accessibility guidelines for each role
... E.g., making policy has lots of roles with partial applicability
... Thinking for map was that we are getting ready for research, use to identify stakeholder groups for research
... Names on stakeholder list mapped to stakeholder map roles
... One column, action, indicates which roles need expanded representation
... E.g., disability organization coverage

Dave: Will be useful for drawing up distribution plan for surveys

Jan: Reminder that Scott Hollier has volunteered to help distribute surveys

Jennison: What about WCAG survey work, still needs to review survey

Sarah: Would like to list A and AA only on survey

Jennison: AAA not as widely known

Dave: Could AAAs come as a bonus part at the end?

Shawn: Agree about removing AAAs

Sarah: Will remove and then Jennison can review the survey

Group reviews stakeholder map roles and priority research questions

Dave: Exercise raises question of how to pursue research questions
... Can ask anyone who has something to say on a topic to reply
... Can ask survey questions designed to a specific stakeholder group
... Will get people who might not have be interested/aware about a research question
... Could do both

Shawn: As we progress through steps we will see patterns and structure surveys accordingly

Dave: Can do same exercise for other high-priority research questions and reconvene next week
... Will aim to have ready for Tuesday call

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to contact Amazon for gift card compensation for diary study [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/08/25-silver-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to contact more people in Japan to recruit people for diary study [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/08/25-silver-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/08/25 14:58:30 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Agree/Agree about removing AAAs/
Present: SarahHorton Jan Jeanne Dave Shawn sloandr Jennison
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: SarahHorton
Found Scribe: Sarah

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Found Date: 25 Aug 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/08/25-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: jeanne

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]