Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

09 Aug 2017

See also: IRC log


jasonjgw, janina, sloandr, scott_h


Questions for Web Authentication Working Group.

scribe sloandr

janina and jasonjgw: work still ongoing on outstanding action item

Accessibility of Virtual Reality.

scott_h: still working through selected literature. Notable themes coming across. Would be willing to pull together a 1-2 page summary of these to serve as a foundation for building a more detailed review of what the literature says.

jasonjgw: has also read a lot of the literature, so can add observations to this summary

<scribe> ACTION: scott_h to produce summary document of literature on accessibility and VR 2017/08/23 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/08/09-rqtf-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding 'scott_h'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/users>.

Web of Things - accessibility requirements and use cases.

<janina> There's a U.S. trademarked service rollout from Comcast:

<janina> http://machineq.com

scott_h: continuing on work in this area, likely to have a report ready in a month's time. Would be willing to contribute this as a starting point for RQTF discussion

shadi: work is already ongoing in W3C, so would like contribution as soon as possible. There is receptiveness for receiving accessibility use cases, but also a need for more understanding of the relevant accessibility issues that WCAG can't address
... a few use cases, based on real people and real interactions, fleshing out the current outline, would be very valuable. Can we identify some people who could report first-person experiences to provide more detail to the current set of use cases, or add new ones?

jasonjgw: one way to look at this is even though many devices may be attached to software with a user interface, having a single UI that works equally well for everyone could be an unreasonable proposition; there may be a case to allow for customisable interfaces that meet the needs of a specific population

shadi: when producing stories, there should be coverage of technology relevance, relating the experience to the technology design/architecture to help understanding of the source of any problem, and appropriate solutions can be targeted

janina: still sense a jargon problem, where we need to be using the same words and concepts as WoT community. To be successful, we need to get our terminology aligned with that of the people building these systems

<shadi> +1 to jargon issue!

janina: also not sure if the industry yet understands what the most effective architecture is. Example of http://machineq.com/ as complex sensor/network/software system

jasonjgw: understanding architecture also means understanding responsibility for different layers

scott_h: literature tends to distinguish between industrial (data capture) and consumer (data output)

jasonjgw: is there a good document that explains architecture and terminology that would help us describe things effectively?

shadi: book called Building the Web of Things is available for free online, is a helpful resource

<shadi> https://webofthings.org/book/

Other topics.

no other topics for discussion

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: scott_h to produce summary document of literature on accessibility and VR 2017/08/23 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/08/09-rqtf-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/08/09 14:05:21 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: jasonjgw, janina, sloandr
Present: jasonjgw janina sloandr scott_h
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: sloandr
Inferring Scribes: sloandr

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 09 Aug 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/08/09-rqtf-minutes.html
People with action items: scott_h

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]