Linked Data and Semantic Processing Task Force

03 Mar 2017

See also: IRC log


Darko, Victor, Dave, Achille, Maria, Mark, Peter, Kaz


<scribe> scribe: Dave

<scribe> scribenick: dsr

Darko welcomes everyone to the new task force. Today we will review the charter and roadmap

Later on we can talk about how to organise the work

charter: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/TF-LD_charter.md

<DarkoAnicic> dsr presents the current proposal for TF-LD charter and the motivation for the TF

Darko asks for comments in respect to the aims and charter

Peter: I am from Iotics Labs which is aligned with the ideas of the web of things. We see semantic interoperability as really valuable, and we want to see what’s possible. We support a bottom up approach.

Say I want an ontology for farm tractors, what should I do? What corresponds to best practices?

Mark: I also am from Iotic labs. We’re new to W3C. Are people aware of the NSF’s work on units of measure?

Dave: yes, and likewise for a range of groups, e.g. QUDT

<mariapoveda> I'm from the Ontological Engineering Group and we are involved in VICINITY, an European project in which we plan to develop several ontologies, one of them for WoT. So I think the TF can benefit from our experience with semantics and linked data and we will benefit of being align with your model

<kaz2> [present: Kaz, Dave, Achille, Aparna, Darko, Maria, Mark, Peter, Victor]

Maria: We’re a resesearch group at a university in Madrid and working on semantic technologies and we’ve been working on ontologies for some while now, and we want to contribute our experience.

Darko: that’s great

Achille: I am from the Insight Centre in Ireland, We have done a lot of work on the Semantic Web and are involved in related EU projects, e.g. BigIoT.

Victor: I am working at Siemens on the Semantic Web and the Web of things

I’ve worked on using JSON-LD for thing descriptions, and joined this task force with an interest in the role of semantic domain models.

Darko: I work with Victor at Siemens, and have been working with semantics for a while, and for the web of things.

We have yet to exploit semantic modelling for the IoT in a big way, and I believe that W3C is a good place to start this work. We work on defining some vocabularies and have a few slides to show later

Aparna: I too am at Siemens, my main research is on creating semantic models for the web of things and how to support transformations and compositions of services.

Slide presentation by Darko

Dave asks Darko to send the slides as soon as practical

Darko: I would like to work on use cases & requirements, cross domain vocab for WoT, semantic concepts and demo’s of their benefits, and collaboration and outreach

The use cases and requirements should be limited to those relevant to WoT and semantics

We should survey work in existing activities, e.g. W3C, OCF, oneM2M, and so forth

We should look at existing cross domain vocabularies, and we are expected to lead the work on the WoT ontology (CBP)

We should look at what’s needed to support validation, e.g. how to model constraints

We also need to look at the vocabularies needed for specific IoT platforms

and to look at how to enable interoperability with domain models from other SDOs

We should consider how to provide easy to use tooling for vocabularies

Darko: notes Google’s initiative around iot.schema.org on smart home vocabularies

That is still at a very early stage and we should seek to collaborate with them

Darko: My third point is around semantic concepts for the web of things.

What is needed to support semantic search, validation, inference, etc. How can we demonstrate the benefits of semantic approaches?

How can we support lightweight semantic models that are easy to compose?

Darko uses terms like templates and recipes ...

Darko shows a slide on collaboration between WoT WG, WoT IG and iot.schema.org

We should aim to minimise barriers for interoperability

We can also work on recommendations for best pratices

Dave: Michael K is organizing a call for people interested in iot.schema.org next week, and we should ask Michael to present the outcome at our next call.

Darko asks for comments on his presentation.

Dave: I would like us to discuss priorities for the task force

Dark: regarding the first bullet

* Clarifying the Linked Data model for things in terms of use cases and commercial IoT standards

Dave: we need to reach a broad concensus for the existing commercial platforms and devices so that we can provide timely advice to the WoT WG

Darko: I want us to work on demoing the benefits of semantic interoperabilty

Dave: I was proposing to do that along with validation of semantic interoperability

and to do so within 6 months

<mariapoveda> sorry, I have lo leave like in 5 minutes. Just wanted to say that I'll be happy to work on the ontology (or ontology modules and cross domain concepts) development and documentation. I could also contribute to constraints evaluation but I'm not an expert in SHACL. Anyway I think the vocabulary is the base for the validation. For further tasks like demostrating the benefits I can ask my colleagues

We would need to pick some use cass that demo semanticn discovery and compositions

Dave: I would like people to propose changes to the charter as github issues and we can aim to resolve them in the next call on March 17

same slot as today

Dark thanks everyone and looks forward to talking again in two weeks time

<kaz2> tx dsr!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/03/03 16:09:39 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Aprna/Aparna/
Succeeded: s/Achiile/Achille/
Present: Darko Victor Dave Achille Maria Mark Peter Kaz
Found Scribe: Dave
Found ScribeNick: dsr
Got date from IRC log name: 03 Mar 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/03/03-wot-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]