Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

13 Feb 2017

See also: IRC log


Pietro, 1, Jim_S, MichaelC, scribe, Lisa_Seeman, slim, kirkwood, janina, Jan
EA, Mike, Jim


<Lisa_Seeman> trackbot, start meeting

<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> status: https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/status.html,

<Lisa_Seeman> instuctions: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/SC_Managers_Phase1,

<Lisa_Seeman> issues: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGA

<Lisa_Seeman> pull requests: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGA

review SC,

<kirkwood> +kirkwood

<Lisa_Seeman> no quarum

<Lisa_Seeman> we are just adressing the issues

What have we missed for issues page

<Lisa_Seeman> this is from last week ?

<Lisa_Seeman> this is from last week ?

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe: alastairc

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe: alastairc

ideas for process

Jim SC

<Thaddeus> +present Thaddeus

Jim: Have some technical issues editing in github, as not the issue creator. Will become more of an issue later.
... It was after the PR, when people engaged.

Janina: Haven't closed the issue.

AC: I think the creator or Josh/Andrew needs to close the issue.

Lisa_Seeman: We've got comments from people on the survey based on old issues, we do need to close them.

Jim_S: Difficult to read the raw code.

MichaelC: Looking at solutions to this, so people don't have to read code, but don't have anything yet.

<slim> (evenutally!!!!)

Lisa_Seeman: The button to close an issue is at the bottom when you have permission.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/status.html

Lisa_Seeman: I'm trying to keep the status table up to date, it can be a day or two behind but it's a good source of the current status. Any pull requests, please let me know so I can put them in.
... I've offered to do pull requests, please let me know if you need help with that.
... Most important at this stage is building consensus, if you get stuck on wording that is a trickier issue than the technical aspects.
... Is anyone stuck on wording?

<Lisa_Seeman> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/27

<Lisa_Seeman> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/56

Lisa_Seeman: Have some which are quite high priority, but no SC manager.

<slim> Lisa I'll take one

<slim> sorry yes me

Lisa_Seeman: Yes - it is Steve. Will take 56.

Steve: Yes I can take that.

Lisa_Seeman: We can catch up this week to discuss it.

<Thaddeus> who is that talking

<Thaddeus> I might be able to help

<Thaddeus> i gave a list of open pull requests

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/status.html

Lisa_Seeman: Please ping Josh/AWK, let him know the PRs were made.

alastairc: I'll take 27, does it relate to others?

Lisa_Seeman: Not really, they were broken down from a larger one.
... Maybe taking on section heading (#40) would be another good one to tackle.
... We were going to add a bullet point to #49 for design patterns unless it is a standardised technique?
... What should we do, with updating pull requests?

MichaelC: We do need people to be looking at the same thing when it is being reviewed.
... It is difficult, we try to accomodate a variety of comms methods in many regions, but it does make things more confusing.

Lisa_Seeman: So at the moment - we can write to the WCAG list, and say for issue #49, there is a change.

MichaelC: The intent has been to keep it in github, but it hasn't been working out that way.
... Yes, you can email WCAG and highlight the change.

<Lisa_Seeman> please look at 46 , 34 and comments

Lisa_Seeman: Are you ok with getting the pull requests in? (JohnK) So I can ask for people to look at #46 and #34. These are open ones with a good time to comment.
... Answering those comments will be challenging, so good to look at tomorrow.


Lisa_Seeman: What would we like in the process that would make it work for us?

<slim> +1000

Lisa_Seeman: I'd like 1 person to do pull requests, they act as that person. It has wasted a lot of time and created frustration for us.
... For each TF, or maybe as a whole, we do 2 or 3 in parallel, focus on them. We have a WCAG or sub-group call, and focus on those. It is impossible to track the comments on everything in parallel. If we focus on 3/week, that makes it clearer & easier
... everyone can chip in and contribute for that one.
... So we collect the issues and focus on them.

alastairc: Having 1 person doing all the submissions creates a bottleneck, that's ok, but if other people do know how to use it then for them it's better not to have the bottleneck.

Lisa_Seeman: It's a complex system, we're not going to get good feedback from people on cognitive issues if it is so complex.

Thaddeus: Noted issue where some PRs went into the wrong place.
... If I submit them, I'm not the manager right?
... Comments need to be updated in them, that needs to be the SC manager.

slim: We had some comments in over the last couple of days, and flared up over readablity statistics, and overlap with 26 and other things. Lisa had responded, but no response the other way.

Lisa_Seeman: We have to move on that. Perhaps comment again that reading levels don't apply (well).
... At AAA there is already a reading level, I'm not seeing there is any change.

alastairc: question on what the reading level tools should be?

Lisa_Seeman: We just need the tools to highlight issues, these things can be available quite easily.

Jim: The A/AA ones are really scoped to using the website, at AAA it becomes wider for all text.

Lisa_Seeman: mgower has some comments on there: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/30
... Are you ok with making those changes Jim? A couple of text items there, better text for the exceptions and concrete bullet point. No comment on Jeanne's comment, we have covered that before on the list.
... Jim - change of word for those things, can you email Thaddeus the changes?
... My IBM email address is the best way to reach me at the moment.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/02/13 18:08:55 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/lseeman@us.ibm.com//
Found Scribe: alastairc
Found Scribe: alastairc
Inferring ScribeNick: alastairc
Present: Pietro 1 Jim_S MichaelC scribe Lisa_Seeman slim kirkwood janina Jan
Regrets: EA Mike Jim

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 13 Feb 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/02/13-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]