Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

06 Feb 2017

See also: IRC log


MichaelC, Pietro, JohnRochford, jeanne, Jim_S, Mike_Pluke, Jan


<Lisa_Seeman> trackbot, start meeting

<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe: EA

review SC, and timelines show status table. Links: sc status: https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/status.html,

Success criteria to be examined - Lisa has updated pull requests.

Lisa has noted the changes in the coga space not the WCAG update space - status column has been changed to pull request and URL - not linked

<JohnRochford> remove ending punctuation to get past 404

<JohnRochford> I see a code view.

Lisa mentioned that Jim is working with Thad to complete areas that have been blocked. Jim commented that they are progressing

<Thaddeus> +present Thaddeus

Jim is working on SC 30,40,41

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: lisa to contact jan [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/06-coga-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-200 - Contact jan [on Lisa Seeman - due 2017-02-13].

<JohnRochford> I love the dog's contributions.

Rachel and Beil's SCs are on course but Chaohai 's SCs do not appear to have had any discussion.

<JohnRochford> Significant echoing happening now.

Neil not Beil sorry

Jeanne has been working on 30 and 40 - gone to pull request.

Lisa advised Jeanne to put any comments into the SCs - active manager can then use the ocmments


Once SCs have gone to the pull requests comments need to be put in that space.

Chaohai did 14 and 25 user information and timed events.

Jeanne asked if they were of interest and Lisa asked if she could be the manager - Jeanne said No

Jeanne works constantly on WCAG and went through the coga SC and prioritised the ones they could rewrite to get them through.

Jeanne is keep to help on the plain language aspects

keen to help

Mike and Steve's SC seem to be acceptable

Mike has said that his are nearly ready for pull request.

Lisa offered a call to sort out remaining issues

EA 's https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/50 and https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/51

Mike typing up final proposal for SC 24

Lisa suggested EA contacts

Wayne for meeting time

Lisa asked Jeanne if she had looked at 50 or 51 but Jeanne said they had started with plain language and help

EA to write to David McDonald about Symbols - Lisa suggested that he might be able to comment

Need to resolve any issues in the next two days as time is short.

Jan has emailed Jeanne about SC help and Lisa has offered to join the call

Lisa asked about Personalisation - Jan said there had been comments but there was a consensus that it will fail

Lisa suggested that is might all have to be done via the user.

Michael was asked if he would join the conversation

<Pietro> RSSAgent, make minutes

Thad has set up a new repo for Personalisation but has spent time supporting members with pull requests.

Members need to go to Michael and Lisa first before going to Thad for pull requests.

input on Thads notes https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/SC_Managers_Phase1

Thad requested feedback on the SC Managers wiki page

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/SC_Managers_Phase1

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/SC_Managers_Phase1#NOTES.2FSTATUS_14

<JohnRochford> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/SC_Managers_Phase1#Thaddeus_Cambron_.28.40inclusiveThinking.29

<Pietro> RSSAgent, make minutes

Thad has said that on familiar design there was concern about feedback on options for personalisation, roll back and ? could not remember third item.

<Lisa_Seeman> Help - A mechanism provided to give a user access to help content, a support page or a support function

Lisa was correcting help - delete one user action in the help definition

Thad is adding notes and Lisa is commentin on familiar design

Lisa discussing design patterns and Thad mentioned UX design principles for cognitive impairment.

Consisten navigation also needs rewording

Primary modality of the layout also needs clarification.

Mike also said this was an issue in his SC - need to rephrase

<Lisa_Seeman> lseeman@us.ibm.com

Lisa said that if she is not responding in a couple of hours please use her IBM account.

<JohnRochford> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/SC_20170207/?

~Lisa said that a WCAG survey will be sent out. Everyone must vote otherwise the coga SCs will not get in

<JohnRochford> That URL is for the SC review February 7 2017

An email will go out to the coga list.

Thad confirmed that he had completed 6 pull requests.

<Lisa_Seeman> \lisa gives thad a cheer

Jeanne has started to concentrate on coga SCs and wll work on wording rather than the technology aspects. Looking at original SCs not the pull requests

<w3c> +1

Jeanne stressed that WCAG members do want coga SCs to meet requirements

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/plain-language-a.html

Jeanne went over what is required in the plain language and discussed reading levels as being important.

Lisa mentioned the issues of reading levels so sometimes words are more complex even when short.

Jeanne still suggested that reading level was an approach that would reach success with WCAG.

Lisa asked if this was an issue about testing

Mike mentioned that there were aspects that could not be automatically tested

<jeanne> Navigation elements and form labels do not require reading ability greater than primary education level. (A)

<jeanne> Understandable Labels: Navigation elements and form labels do not require reading ability greater than primary education level. (A)

<jeanne> Understandable Instructions: Headings, error messages and instructions for completing tasks do not require reading ability greater than lower secondary education level. (AA)

<jeanne> Delta 3.1.5 Understandable Content: Blocks of text either: (AAA)

<jeanne> · have a reading level no more advanced than lower secondary education, or

<jeanne> · a version is provided that does not require reading ability more advanced than lower secondary education.

Lisa asked about the removal of error messages

Jeanne said this might be able to return as AA but deal with higher complexities

Lisa asking if Jeanne could put these statements in an email

<w3c> Statements which instruct a user to make a choice or take an ACTION: have only one instruction per sentence, except when two things have to be done simultaneously; use sentences of no more than 15 words; should have no more than one relative pronoun per sentence.

John Rochford confirmed he liked the work on this SC

Mike mentioned there may be competeting proposals when linked with instructions.

Lisa will propose three options around the pull requests, first Jeanne then carry on with the pull request and finally not comfortable with either at this point

Mike said that the Manageable blocks SC will need to be cut up into different SCs and this appeared to have more agreement.

Jeanne is keen to talk more about SC24

Thad asked about meeting - Lisa to send email.

Jeanne proposal for help SC, will work on this next - no proposal at the moment but will set up a time with Jan

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/gap-analysis/table.html

Jan pointed to all the comments for the SC and Jeanne will look at them all - Lisa said they were being logged in the issue page

Meeting times are being set up with Lisa and also with Mike Gower. Jan wants to discuss Personalisaton SC and with Mike and Lisa

Lisa to discuss with Michael the time line etc.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: lisa to contact jan [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/02/06-coga-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/02/06 18:12:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: EA
Inferring ScribeNick: EA
Present: MichaelC Pietro JohnRochford jeanne Jim_S Mike_Pluke Jan

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 06 Feb 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/02/06-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: lisa

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]