WoT IG - Scripting TF

09 Jan 2017

See also: IRC log


Kaz, Johannes, Zoltan, Uday, Daniel


For PlugFest in Santa Clara

Issue-240 and documentation

johannes: any changes for Scripting API?

-> https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/293 Issue-293

johannes: somebody implementing Scripting API for PlugFest
... most concrete proposal for Issue-293 was about discovery callback
... related to issue 240

-> https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/240 Issue-240

johannes: Zoltan proposed promise-based approach
... looks reasonable
... now what to do is how to implement it
... how it should be exposed
... any opinions?
... how do we convey this kind of information for the upcoming Plugfest?

zoltan: fully agree
... simplest and best

johannes: callback and promise?

zoltan: would like to try to avoid event handling
... for asynchronous mechanism like discovery

johannes: agree
... my question is if we need any kind of document

zoltan: we should meet at PlugFest first and then document it

johannes: ok
... Uday, any comments?
... Callback/promise and documentation

uday: won't be involved in PlugFest this time

PlugFest Implementers

johannes: any implementers for the upcoming PlugFest?

-> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_February_2017,_USA,_Santa_Clara f2f wiki

-> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/PlugFests_-_Template_for_PlugFest_description plugfest template

-> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/WoTF2F201602/results registration results

johannes: Panasonic, Fujitsu(?), Siemens and Intel
... will reach out people here

kaz: tx
... people are encouraged to put concrete information using the template

-> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/PlugFests_-_Template_for_PlugFest_description plugfest template

johannes: (puts note for PlutFest participants to put information on the f2f wiki)
... if you have ideas, please contact me
... we've reached two conclusions
... feedback welcome on the ML
... promise for one-shot event and callback for Feb. plugfest and documentation after that


johannes: next "Outreach and Ad-hoc meetings"
... (skims the topics on the wiki)

[Frank Reusch] Impact of autonomous device networks on WoT


[t.b.d.] Scripting API vs REST/network API

[t.b.d.] What is the contract between application and platform? (Internet Media Types, new registry, ...)

[t.b.d.] Linking (related Interactions, sub-Things, groups, collections)

[Johannes] Subscriptions

[Matthias] Type system (collaboration with JSON Schema community to enable semantic annotations within the structure)

[Yongjing] Potential collaboration with oneM2M (informative implementation of oneM2M Mca/Mcc interfaces based on TD, information model mapping)

johannes: we have open topics on scripting

-> https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/240 Issue-240

johannes: can prepare impose for that

Remote participation

uday: any way for remote participation?
... for breakout sessions?

johannes: there is a web-based questionnaire asking you about that

-> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/WoTF2F201602/?&login f2f questionnaire

johannes: there is a question about "4. Remote participation"
... at some point, we should put all the information on the wiki as well
... assign the room, etc.

uday: ok

johannes: would like to add a section about that to the f2f wiki

kaz: we can add a section to the wiki about "Remote participation"
... which should include WebEx coordinate as well

daniel: information on breakout topics and remote participants should be also put

Agenda (revisited)

johannes: Should the proposals on Scripting API be merged with the session of "Scripting API vs REST API"?

zoltan: all the proposals are just the current status
... so we need to have a f2f meeting

-> https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/scripting/proposals/intel-proposal.md Intel's proposals

johannes: they are good proposals
... should be done as a separate session?
... what we usually did is generating a topic list

zoltan: interested in all the topics
... would say we should not use much time for "scripting vs REST"
... what I expect is hands-on work from PlugFest
... we can freeze the version of document based on that
... wouldn't use much time for mapping for various protocols either

johannes: we could do some scripting workshop
... (updates the f2f wiki with the topic of scripting workshop)

-> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_February_2017,_USA,_Santa_Clara f2f wiki

johannes: besides those, I don't have topics for today
... to prepare for this workshop would be great
... materials on GitHub

-> https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/scripting Scripting area of GitHub

Node.js-based implementation, etc.

zoltan: Node.js version implementation?

johannes: there is an opensource implementation
... not on the W3C GitHub but a separate repo

-> https://github.com/thingweb/node-wot Node WoT repo

-> https://github.com/thingweb/node-wot/blob/master/src/wot-impl.ts wot-impl.ts

zoltan: probably a good demo to include various implementations
... generic sensor API, Node.js-based one, etc.
... we could create a new branch for testing
... I would join that

johannes: this implementation right now concentrates on protocol implementation
... the basic idea you sketch could be part of this demo
... already implemented in Java but being transferred to Node.js
... there is a sample code for counter used in Beijing

-> https://github.com/thingweb/plugfest-scripts/blob/master/beijing072016/counter.js counter demo

zoltan: would like to see how you handle parameters

johannes: can send an email

zoltan: ok

johannes: Eclipse demo has timing information, etc.
... can mail the scripts we used in the past

zoltan: fine by your sending emails
... we can take it offline

johannes: perfect timing for PlugFest to talk about that
... any other topics for today?


[ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/01/09 12:58:12 $