Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference

05 Jan 2017

See also: IRC log


Joanmarie_Diggs, Léonie, MichaelC, JaeunJemmaKu, ShaneM, jongund, Joseph_Scheuhammer, MichielBijl, Stefan


<Rich> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2017Jan/0009.html

<ShaneM> [resent+

<scribe> scribenick: tink

<scribe> scribe: Léonie

WG Chairs

RS: Welcome Joanie as co-chair.
... We have a co-ordination call on a Monday. We may need to talk about times offline.

JMD: Sure.

dPub roles

RS: These are now supported in the conformance validator.
... Mappings are also in place.


RS: Request from WebPlat to review changes.

<Stefan> +present Stefan

RS: We have comments (not many).

<clown> https://github.com/w3c/html-aam/issues

RS: Comments are on the wiki, is that ok?

LW: If you could post them to the Github repo when they're finalised, that would be welcome.

RS: Suggest we do this review in the Core AAM group.
... Thank you for keeping us up to date Léonie.

LW: No problem. Let me know if this way of keeping you up dated works?

RS: Will do.
... Related, we're going to post ARIA 1.2 with roles for all HTML elements that have mappings.


RS: We had comments. Is everyone ok with them?

JG: Feedback from Steve accepted the comment about no defined role.
... The definition term would need a mapping change to happen first though.

RS: In our doc?

JS: Yes.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#role-map-term

RS: Ok.

JG: Filed issues already.

Testable statements

JG: Have had useful feedback from Jamie Teh.
... Haven't heard much from the MS people.
... Will put more time into this, but help is always welcome.

RS: Have been working with Freedom Scientific on their ARIA implementation.

JG: Don't think they willcontribute code though.

RS: Glen from FS and Jamie from NVAccess were considering becoming IE.
... Think everything is in Firefox now.

s/Tink everything is/Think everything is/

ARIA 1.2 feature triage

<Rich> https://www.w3.org/TR/html51/textlevel-semantics.html#the-data-element

<Rich> The data element represents its contents, along with a machine-readable form of those contents in the value attribute.

RS: Do not think a role for the <data> element needs to be created.

<Rich> The value attribute must be present. Its value must be a representation of the element’s contents in a machine-readable format.

<clown> When combined with microformats or microdata, the element serves to provide both a machine-readable value for the purposes of data processors, and a human-readable value for the purposes of rendering in a Web browser.

RS: So how is it rendered?

<Rich> http://www.quackit.com/html_5/tags/html_data_tag.cfm

<MichielBijl> +1

RS: Doesn't seem to have much/any user impact.

JS: No.

RS: Ok. No need to create a role for the <data> element.

<Rich> https://www.w3.org/TR/html51/textlevel-semantics.html#textlevel-semantics

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-time

RS: The <time> element.

<Rich> https://www.w3.org/TR/html51/textlevel-semantics.html#the-time-element

RS: There is nothing in the APIs that I know of.

MC: I think UA are supposed to translate this into something human readable.

LW: Yes.

MC: Inclined to say it maps to the text role, but say that UA should transform it to something less "codey" when doing the mapping.

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-time

RS: UIA has a localised control type.

JS: This is just text not a control though.

MB: The human readable bit is already there.

RS: You might want a screen reader to announce it differently.

MC: The human readable bit might only be almost human readable.

RS: Think this is worth considering.

rrrrsaerragrrsagent, make minutes

<MichaelC> GH-ISSUE 507 https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/507

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-code

RS: The <code> element.

MC: Already triaged.

RS: Outcome?

JS: There is no corresponding role - except AX API, which maps to Group.

MC: We triaged into issue 485.
... the issue was to consider all inline semantics together.
... Reluctant to separate them out during triage.

RS: Think we should not do any more on text level semantics?

MC: No, but we've already triaged <code>, we should tirage therest then revisit the things we want to later.

LW: FWIW I would like to see this mapped.

RS: The <mark> element.

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-mark

RS: Plays into drag and drop.

LW: It's also used to denote/highlight exceprts in content - like code.

MB: Some browsers mark it in yellow with black.

RS: Mybe separate attributes depending on its use?

<MichaelC> GH-ISSUE 508 https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/508

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-bdi

MC: <bdo> and <bdi>

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-bdo

<Rich> The bdi element represents a span of text that is to be isolated from its surroundings for the purposes of bidirectional text formatting.

<Rich> The bdo element represents explicit text directionality formatting control for its children. It allows authors to override the Unicode bidirectional algorithm by explicitly specifying a direction override. [BIDI]

MC: Think it's mostly used with multi-lingual content.

RS: Does it map to text?

SM: Fairly sure not.

RS: Think we need to think about a role.

<clown> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/bdo#Examples

JS: You want to show what's rendered on-screen.

SM: The intended use case is that something like Hebrew is presented in the middle of English content.
... The screen reader should read the languages in their expected order.

MC: So the first word in the source order should be the first word you here with a screen reader.

RS: We need to look at this. Anyone?
... Lisa perhaps?

<MichaelC> GH-ISSUE 509 https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/509

MC: The <br> and <wbr> elements

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-br

RS: Is <br> exposed?

MC: MSAA has role system whiteppace.

JS: Nothing else has it.

<clown> https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/#el-wbr

JMD: <br> is exposted in ATK as a new line character.

RS: Think we should look at this.
... assign it to me.
... include <wbr>.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/01/05 18:56:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/present_//
FAILED: s/Tink everything is/Think everything is/
Succeeded: s/xcept group/except AX API, which maps to Group/
Found ScribeNick: tink
Found Scribe: Léonie
Present: Joanmarie_Diggs Léonie MichaelC JaeunJemmaKu ShaneM jongund Joseph_Scheuhammer MichielBijl Stefan
Found Date: 05 Jan 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/01/05-aria-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]