28 Nov 2016

See also: IRC log


JohnRochford, Thaddeus, kirkwood, Lisa, Jim_S, Jan, McSorley, MichaelC
kurt, EA


<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

Tables https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/gap-analysis/table.html

<Lisa_Seeman> ?

What have we missed for issues page

<Thaddeus> + Thaddeus

<Thaddeus> Thaddeus present

be done

<kirkwood> +kirkwood

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe: Jan

<Lisa_Seeman> Present Lisa

undo: is justification correct?

review SC, and timelines show status table.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DHoA9fQRsNtfrhxpf-HGVzbNpe6KUxv-cgxY6NM4mGI/edit#

<Lisa_Seeman> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues

SuccessCriteria - Google Docs - WCAG issues for WCAG 2.1

<Lisa_Seeman> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGA

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/status.html

We can only do copy editing on those tagged as Preliminary - once it's ready to submit to WCAG, it cannot be edited.

In the google doc, (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DHoA9fQRsNtfrhxpf-HGVzbNpe6KUxv-cgxY6NM4mGI/edit#) there are labels for SC that are ready for copy editing. There are 2 days left to copy edit.

We have a full 2 days to get edits in

If you start to edit one, add a note in the Google Doc that you are copy editing it now. Only take ones that are not yet copy edited. JohnR has completed up to 14. Just make it clear at the top that you're working on one and don't worry about whether or not you are working within an assigned number range.

Ones that MaryJo commented on may not need as many edits, so prioritize those that have not had a long list of comments.

MaryJo has not commented on 14-24 so we need to prioritize these - she also did not comment on 37

MaryJo also did not comment on 36

Start at 15, but put in the header in red that you're doing it.

Thaddeus and Jan will put their names into the header for some of the SC numbers 15-24 to edit

Once completed, in the Google Doc, put "copy editing completed"

Can also make notes in the pull request message in GitHub

Lisa - you need to sync your documents every time after you are done in GitHub

You can click on the pencil, make the edits you want, save it, give your messages and it will initiate your pull request and that eliminates confusion with the fork

<Thaddeus> https://help.github.com/articles/editing-files-in-another-user-s-repository/

<Thaddeus> https://help.github.com/articles/editing-files-in-another-user-s-repository/


Extra Symbols

EA is not able to be here today and Lisa wants to bounce this off of her too

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/extra-symbols.html

There's been a substantative change to this one

She changed the scope to try to make it level AA

Level A is that any system needs to include users of augmentative communication systems

Instead of saying "use" symbols ... Lisa changed it to say "provide" symbols so that a technique could be used to reveal symbols to targeted audiences

Lisa was trying to address Thaddeus' comments that it shouldn't be AAA because people who need it, need it.

<Lisa_Seeman> consensis - any disagreements?

No one objected to Lisa's changes

Change at Please let me know if there are any issues with in 48 hours

Let Lisa know if there are any changes that need to be addressed within the 48 hours

39 have been submitted - realistically, they won't all be accepted and mnost of them will not be accepted without significant change.

Be aware that some comments that will be made by the wider WCAG group may seem offensive to people who are aware of the COGA work - in other words, we are going to have to do some educating to help people understand the need for the SC

Lisa - I am expecting that we will need to spend some time explaining the users who would benefit from these SC - I think that we might want to track the comments and questions we get so that we can understand how to better explain the user needs

at wcag issues https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?page=1&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGA and copy editing

Lisa - if people in WCAG don't understand cognitive issues, then other outside of WCAG would have the same questions

Lisa - does anyone have an idea of how to track the questions and comments?

Lisa - Was thinking that Jim and Neal might want to make short videos on user needs

Jim - I will run that by Neal to see if he wanted to make some short videos of user needs for COGA

Lisa - I am going to make a new WIKI page of user needs that need more explanation

Jim - we should collect the issues in a log, address them in a Q&A textual basis and then create videos as needed

Jim - it would be a fabulous resource to have moving forward as an educational resource

Lisa - for us, it would also put a positive spin on the need

Lisa - each issue in the WCAG issue list is going to have comments from WCAG - some will be minor and some will be substantative

Lisa - we will see comments from people that we are making things more complicated because they may not necessarily understand the user needs

next activities : wcag comments. see issue page. semantics.proposals new issue papers, emotional.

Lisa - What will we do with our time after these are submitted? WCAG Comments and Table of User Needs

Lisa: There are things we can address in the Table of User Needs Roadmap

Lisa - we will also have new issue papers coming our way

Lisa - it may appear that we have addressed everything, but there are still things that need work - we have not necessarily addressed all cognitive issues - we have more work to do on emotional issues and how those affect cognition

Lisa - there are things that we will have to coordinate with WCAG, such as techniques

Michael - Direction for the next 3-6 months - the task force will need to respond to potential edits; don't know yet what the plan is going to be - are they going to throw everything in, or just those things they think are likely to survive the full process?

Michael - there will need to be some development of "understandings" material - this will be critical to the SC staying in the document for the entire process; the cognitive SC seem to need more explanation - providing techniques will also need to be done eventually

Michael - doing the research on user needs is useful in terms of getting the COGA group's thinking together

Lisa - in terms of the personalization and the semantics, who is working on that?

Michael - Rich - that has been moved to the ARIA working group - Rich is editing it now and want technical fixes done to the document before it goes any further

Lisa - I think as COGA, we will need to continue with the Table of User Needs because that is where we have fleshed out the semantics we need

Lisa - the Table of User Needs is quite important because we will need that semantics document because we will need the techniques.

Michael - not confident that semantics will get into 2.1 - don't hang your hopes on SC that depend on semantics in 2.1, but you are setting up for later work, so it's still useful work

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/11/28 18:02:56 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: Jan
Inferring ScribeNick: Jan
Default Present: JohnRochford, Thaddeus, kirkwood
Present: JohnRochford Thaddeus kirkwood Lisa Jim_S Jan McSorley MichaelC
Regrets: kurt EA
Got date from IRC log name: 28 Nov 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/11/28-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]