Tracking Protection Working Group Teleconference

31 Aug 2016

See also: IRC log


wseltzer, moneill2, rvaneijk, aleecia, wileys, dsinger, schunter, jeff, npdoty, vincent, frank.wagner, carl, walter
wseltzer, npdoty


<moneill2> just checking out my systems

<moneill2> wseltzer, link still not working - is there a new link?

<wseltzer> https://mit.webex.com/mw3100/mywebex/default.do?service=1&siteurl=mit&nomenu=true&main_url=%2Fmc3100%2Fe.do%3Fsiteurl%3Dmit%26AT%3DMI%26EventID%3D475243072%26UID%3D493576022%26Host%3DQUhTSwAAAAJn7WPOuzIN4gyk8rt0px3zGByW99IcURCzIsqWsa-XsXaDPudaWB88f6i-zrVtz-0uFXG5Nlw93w3QIXtaKwl00%26FrameSet%3D2%26MTID%3Dma165fcbc1a11161d40f6b51aacb8a724

<wseltzer> https://mit.webex.com/mit/j.php?MTID=ma165fcbc1a11161d40f6b51aacb8a724

<wseltzer> present=

<wileys> Tried dialing in and was told the meeting number is not valid or the meeting has not started yet...

<wileys> The new code worked but is not the one that was emailed last night

<moneill2> dsinger, was the tk header right?

<npdoty> moneill2, was there a particular reason that you thought the tracking status resource needed to be a full uri, rather than just to the well-known location and can then redirect?

<inserted> scribenick: wseltzer

schunter: 2 points, TPAC, and email to European members

npdoty: did you want to discuss proposal from Mike and Rob re potential changes to TPE?

<moneill2> npdoty, so it can be somewhere else, corporate site might be different domain

schunter: It migth be early for that

<dsinger> I would like to suggest we have a note in the TPE that the exceptions API may need to be async, and comments are solicited

schunter: re suggestion that we reach out to implementers
... attend TPAC, make some noise

<npdoty> moneill2, right, but it wasn't clear why redirection wouldn't typically work

schunter: I plan to join PING
... schedule an announced breakout session
... discussing European landscape
... 3. ad hoc informal TPWG meeting
... opportunistic

<moneill2> npdoty, the idea is the first url might not be on the origin domain, it might be a corporate site, then it could redirect

schunter: don't panic

<npdoty> +1 for don't panic

schunter: most important is Wednesday breakout session. Can we get European companies in the room
... to discuss benefits of TPE

<inserted> scribenick: npdoty

wseltzer: space often not available for meetings at TPAC
... but space worked out, so not a problem
... but not a chartered working group meeting

could we call it a BoF?

<dsinger> strongly suggest we ask for a 3-month charter extension just to cover our current discussions and what’s next and TPAC

<vincent> I'll try to attend on Wednesday

<rvaneijk> I will try to attend, need travel premission first.

<dsinger> expects to be, intends to be, mostly present at TPAC (in body at least)

jeff: suggest sending info about informal thursday meeting at TPAC to appropriate mailing lists, so that attendees know about it

<wseltzer> npdoty: will there be remote participation

<wseltzer> schunter: for the breakout, we'll aim to do so

<wseltzer> ... don't need to get up at midnight

and if there are notes circulated from the Wednesday meeting, that would be important (and would make it less important for interested folks not there to need to join in)

<vincent> do we have a page that we could tweet about?

<schunter> dsinger: Charter extension to year end?

<Zakim> jeff, you wanted to discuss the mad scramble

+1 to dsinger, it seems like we're having meetings now

<dsinger> extend to year-end, a few weeks past tpac, and so on, whatever makes sense. 6 months is a long-ish extension, but OK

<vincent> It'd be very helpful (disclaimer: I'll be flying in and flying out :)

<wseltzer> ACTION: wseltzer to schedule the meeting 1-3 Wednesday [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/31-dnt-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-472 - Schedule the meeting 1-3 wednesday [on Wendy Seltzer - due 2016-09-07].

(I don't think the TPAC breakouts are usually very long. you might want to set aside some way to keep talking after the short breakout time)

<Zakim> jeff, you wanted to make it happen

<wseltzer> moneill2: GDPR, new law prompts more interest

<wseltzer> action-472 done

<walter> Well, this is one of the more political W3C standards, if I were to hazard a guess

I'm not sure we need IPR protections right now, but maybe Carl is right re: competition

<wileys> Doesn’t operating under the W3C umbrella provide all the protections needed - is an actual charter required?

<wileys> +

<wileys> +q

+1 either way, I'm not sure I see a large difference between the alternatives we have at this point

<walter> +q

<Zakim> dsinger, you wanted to ask about minor revs to the CRs...

I don't think it should be changed to be asynchronous

<walter> dsinger: comments in general are still welcome, aren't they

<walter> ?

<walter> fair enough

do the links to the Issue Tracking system suffice for your need, dsinger?

<wseltzer> [ I invite people to https://github.com/w3c/dnt/issues ]

the CR does link to this issue system already: http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/

<wseltzer> fielding: I'm happy to make changes if needed

the charter isn't one of those w3c rules and guidelines?

wseltzer: thanks for noting the concerns. being out of charter can affect the patent commitments if any were contributed; I believe it wouldn't affect the anti-trust or other protections of the organization, as work is continued in the public manner

<rvaneijk> If HTTP equiv as a solution to an implemention problem may surface out of the workshop, it sounds to me the ideas should be covered by a charter

[scribe could have made a mistake there, just trying to capture the basics]

<rvaneijk> Could you please put the broadcasts to the minutes?

schunter: updates on other conversations (with MSFT, EFF, DT)

frank: interest in providing a model implementation of DNT and coordinate with a DPA, so that we can see if we are on the same page, that if we implement DNT in a certain way, does it comply with the law in the way that we expect

(or on the mailing list)

moneill2, dsinger -- I'll follow up on the mailing list re: the technical change proposals

<wseltzer> proposed meeting: 28 Sept

<walter> webex isn't too nice...

<walter> bye!

thanks all

<wseltzer> scribenick: npdoty

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: wseltzer to schedule the meeting 1-3 Wednesday [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/31-dnt-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/08/31 16:54:54 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: i/2 points/scribenick: wseltzer
Succeeded: i/space often/scribenick: npdoty
Found ScribeNick: wseltzer
Found ScribeNick: npdoty
Found ScribeNick: npdoty
WARNING: No scribe lines found matching ScribeNick pattern: <npdoty> ...
Inferring Scribes: wseltzer, npdoty
Scribes: wseltzer, npdoty
ScribeNicks: wseltzer, npdoty

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Present: wseltzer moneill2 rvaneijk aleecia wileys dsinger schunter jeff npdoty vincent frank.wagner carl walter
Found Date: 31 Aug 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/08/31-dnt-minutes.html
People with action items: wseltzer

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]