Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

15 Aug 2016

See also: IRC log


Janina, kirkwood, Thaddeus, Mary, Jo, Mueller, JohnRochford, Mike, Pluke, KurtM


<scribe> scribe: maryjom

<Lisa_Seeman> trackbot, start meeting

<Lisa_Seeman> Lisa_Seeman Chair:Lisa_Seeman

<Lisa_Seeman> Lisa_Seeman agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe: maryjom

<Lisa_Seeman> regrets debbie dahl

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/actions/open

Action Items

LS: ISO documents - is anything missing?

MP: Haven't been successful in doing this action.

LS: Is there things missing with regard to ETSI documents sent to the COGA group

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: mike to identify any differences with ETSI documents [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/15-coga-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-180 - Identify any differences with etsi documents [on Mike Pluke - due 2016-08-22].

MP: Don't think there's really anything missing. We broke down a large number of small guidelines in our COGA work, but the coverage of topics seems well covered. It is a bit difficult to map them.

LS: John's action with Debbie Dahl to look at bots.

<Lisa_Seeman> next item

JR: Am working on an issue paper on this topic

LS: WCAG has given us a template to fill in for each success criteria. They want us to reduce the long list of items to make it more usable.
... Deadline to get work done is Dec. 1, so there's a lot of work to do between now and then.
... In the guidance they have a list of things to avoid so the success criteria can be testable.

<Thaddeus> + Thaddeus

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/rewrodedsc2.html

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html

LS: Above link is the rewording proposal, and you have to compare that to the WCAG extension.
... Everyone will take between one and three of the success criteria to review the rewording. WCAG working group wants the requirements to be more understandable.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#provide-a-clear-structure-that-includes

LS: This includes a lot of bullet points - 10 things, and some have up to 4 sub-bullet points. They felt this is confusing.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/rewrodedsc2.html

LS: Looking at the first couple of rewritten requirements, these have been broken out into multiple sections.

General consensus that the smaller pieces are easier to understand.

LS: They could put them together into another guideline. We could suggest a new guideline and show how these will be put under it.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#support-is-provided-that-help-users-understand-the-content-that-includes

LS: General success criteria about making the content easy to understand. This one has a very long list, and the problem is that other things could be put under that category too - such as quick feedback.
... We have split this into two criteria.
... Context sensitive help is not typically appropriate for all pages, so it might end up Level AAA.

MP: This could potentially cause a lot of extra work if there's no platform mechanism to provide it.

<Lisa_Seeman> next item

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#support-is-provided-that-help-users-understand-the-content-that-includes

LS: The success criteria to-do list has been established, but now that some success criteria are being broken up the to-do list needs updating.

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: lisa to make new todo list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/15-coga-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-181 - Make new todo list [on Lisa Seeman - due 2016-08-22].

LS: If those drafting the success criteria in the new WCAG template don't understand how the breaking up of the criteria is to be done, contact Lisa.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#do-not-add-mechanisms-that-are-likely-to-confuse-the-user-in-a-way-that-may-do-them-harm-and-use-known-techniques-to-keep-the-user-safe.x

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/support-personalization.html

<Lisa_Seeman> Andrew's template

<Lisa_Seeman> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/wiki/Proposals-for-new-Success-Criteria

LS: We need to take the wording we have and move it to the template Andrew gave us.
... We need to go through each one and describe how it is testable.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#new-success-criteria

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/support-personalization.html

LS: Had to write the intent and benefits which were in the techniques document and related issue papers. But also pulled in more information.
... Andrew also asked for evidence, so added links to research and issue papers.
... Make sure the key terms are included.
... People helping to draft need to give these a first shot at a draft and bring them to the larger group so we can review and quickly develop the criteria we want to propose to the WCAG working group by the deadline of Dec. 1.
... Will update the to-do list with all of the links to the various parts needed to draft the criteria.
... Everyone, please look over to make sure you understand what to do and ask if it isn't clear.
... Please sign up tomorrow, Aug. 16, or Lisa will volunteer you for something. :)
... Ping on skype or email if you have any questions

<Lisa_Seeman> thanks MJ!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: lisa to make new todo list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/15-coga-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: mike to identify any differences with ETSI documents [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/08/15-coga-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/08/15 17:05:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/up to 4 bullet/up to 4 sub-bullet/
Succeeded: s/Anderws/Andrew's/
Found Scribe: maryjom
Found Scribe: maryjom
Inferring ScribeNick: maryjom
Present: Janina kirkwood Thaddeus Mary Jo Mueller JohnRochford Mike Pluke KurtM

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 15 Aug 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/08/15-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: lisa mike

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]