Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

01 Aug 2016


See also: IRC log


Tzviya Siegman, Brady Duga, Garth Conboy, Chris Maden, Ivan Herman, Ben De Meester (bjdmeest), Charles LaPierre, Boris Anthony, Alan Stearns, Avneesh Singh, George Kerscher, Karen Myers, Benjamin Young (bigbluehat), Bert Bos, Shane McCarron, Nick Barreto, David Stroup, Peter Krautzberger, Bill Kasdorf
Heather, Dave, Luc, Vlad, Tim, Daniel


<tzviya> scribenick: bjdmeest

tzviya: welcome back everyone!

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/2016/07/11-dpub-minutes.html

approving minutes

tzviya: any comments?
... we did live editing on the use cases on the manifest
... no comments? ok, minutes approved

new members

.boris_: I am Boris Anthony
... I joined with the rebus foundation
... we want to bring textbooks on the Web
... looking forward to working with all of you

TPAC planning

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Sep_2016_F2F_Logistics_and_Details

tzviya: there is a grid at the wiki page
... but you also need to register at the W3C site
... let's talk about schedule
... what groups we want to meet with
... we meet on Monday and Tuesday, IDPF is on Thursday
... I would like to talk about A11Y with Aria
... and with WebApps

<garth> Anything with CSS?

Avneesh: talking with WCAG? after the merger

tzviya: that could be merged with the ARIA meeting, I think

ivan: I think, by default, we will have a meeting with CSS
... I don't know whether the SVG group is meeting
... maybe, somebody from that group (if they are meeting on TPAC) to talk about where SVG is going would be good

<Bert> (SVG is meeting on Thu + Fri)

lrosenth: I also wanted to bring up CSS, and WebApps (about manifests) are a good idea, seem like the key things
... my expectations would to start working through specifics of the technical details
... we focussed on use cases, and during the F2F, we could have practical discussions

tzviya: It might be nice, we could reserve a little bit of time for that, but TPAC is mostly about talking with other groups

lrosenth: to me, I don't have the feeling we have enough foundation to talk with other groups yet
... we do have use cases
... but not enough to talk with other groups

<garth> Could Ivan try to speak up a bit?

<garth> Better!

ivan: For our long-term work, I cannot emphasize enough how important the use case document is
... I hope to publish at least on document to show to the world after TPAC
... About Leonard's comment: in the long-term (i.e. sometime next year), we hope to create a working group that can do standardization work
... for that, we need an extensive charter
... so first, we need to look into how such a charter would look like
... how we would standardize this thing
... that is partially technical work, more than the use cases, but not too much details
... that needs to be accepted by the W3C first
... in this case, there is a large level op complexity, so having a solid discussion on the IG on what sounds realistic, should be very helpful

tzviya: talking with other groups is more about 'this is the state we are in'

lrosenth: I agree publishing that use case document is the first step
... and I see how to proceed from IG to WG

tzviya: any other requests for other groups or agenda points for ourselves for TPAC?

George: do we have a list of groups present at TPAC?

tzviya: I could send a list

<ShaneM> The meeting schedules are up for all the groups.

garth: we'll be meeting with the groups that also meet on Monday Tuesday, I assume we'll have enough time for our group

tzviya: usually, we ask other groups: 'these are the slots DPUBIG have free, could you come in then?'
... for some groups, we might need to shift
... I agree we should not spend all the TPAC time, not with other groups, on use case writing

ivan: an other group for the list is the i18n group

<ShaneM> Also remember there are the crazy short sessions on Wednesday that we can set up for fun topics that we want to brainstorm with lots of other interested people.

ivan: there are a lot of local groups that are getting towards a publication, e.g., about other language rendering
... speaking with r12a is always a good idea btw

lrosenth: does it make sense to have a list of topics, and send those ahead?

tzivya: yes

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Sep_2016_F2F_Logistics_and_Details#Schedule

lrosenth: so that's what we'll put together in the next weeks?

tzviya: See link above, it's good to have topics asap

ivan: there is a new activity starting on Internet of Things
... I'm wondering whether these would have a relationship with what we do

lrosenth: the group about identity etc., do they also meet?

ivan: yes

tzviya: added to the wiki

clapierre: for a11y, we have some outstanding issues with schema.org
... I could personally set something up

tzviya: I'm not sure schema.org is meeting, the relevant people will probably be there
... I'm not sure all DPUB people need to be there

<ivan> B.t.w. the current schedule at TPAC: https://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/schedule.html

Use Cases

tzviya: I assigned some sections to some people
... I'm hoping in the next two weeks, assigned people will do so
... if you can't work on this, please speak up
... doing this only via phone calls took a long time
... looking at the agenda, most of these things are things you have already worked on
... it's mostly about checking that the document properly reflects your work

<tzviya> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2016Jul/0042.html

<ivan> Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2016Jul/0042.html

tzviya: I assigned introduction to Hugh McGuire

<boris_> hehe

tzviya: changing states and locators, I've assigned to Ben and Leonard
... both are pretty robust
... locators is little bit weaker than changing states, but both of you have worked on the locators taks force
... and about the locators section, maybe check whether they should be merged, and whether the annotations should stay

lrosenth: I think we do need use cases around annotations, but they need some cleanup
... because some use cases are specific to dpub

ivan: we already published a doc specific to annotations
... it's worth looking into
... we should refer to that

<tzviya> annotation use cases for dpub: https://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-annotation-uc/

lrosenth: I was going into the other direction: maybe it's worth revisiting the (old) doc, and update in the new document

tzviya: Leonard and Ben are sensible people, they can work together ;)
... about the next section

BillKasdorf: If I could have a little more time (Laurent is probably on vacation anyway), it could be done

tzviya: the next section is for me and Ivan
... archiving: most of the work is done, but I'm concerned some discussion of the working group is missing
... I'll send an email to them
... a11y: charles and deborah
... I think the current use cases can be cleaned a bit, there were some additional ones I though
... css: dave and brady

brady_duga: we can switch work, me this week, Dave next week

tzviya: it's a bit of a confusing section atm
... if there's stuff that needs to be added, you can add it
... some of the sections might be already covered, and it could be you need to delete the section
... the last section, other and misc, we should clean this up
... hopefully, all these things can be either out of scope or merged into other sections
... any volunteer to help Heather?

ShaneM: Heather has done really a lot, I'll help

tzviya: in the end, we'll hand it over to Heather for a final version
... timeframe is to be done in 3-4 weeks, so we could publish before TPAC
... I have a list of names now
... we'll see what happens

<garth> Upcoming meetings?

tzviya: what would we like to discuss next week?

ivan: I would like to hear back from the archival people
... I don't know that world

lrosenth: the archival task force did report back to the main, but we could replay that

tzviya: I think we never heard the final update, I'll ping Tim
... we also didn't hear from the Web Annotation WG

<bigbluehat> +1

ivan: benjamin and I could do that

garth: I also though about spending time fleshing out the topics for TPAC with the other groups

tzviya: I also suspect updates about DPUB ARIA

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/css-a11y/work-statement

tzviya: there is a task force forming between CSS and AIRA, to create a CSS A11Y mapping
... see above statement
... e.g., have an a11y fallback for generated content

boris_: just looking through the use case doc
... has there been any talk about requirements about having a collection of books?

<ivan> +100000 to Boris

boris_: do we need to think about systems to manage collections?
... e.g., take-down services, URIs,... there might be some use cases there

<bigbluehat> huge +1 to Boris

tzviya: certainly feel free to add use cases

ivan: I can help for any practicalities

boris_: my background is in Interaction design, product design, experience architecture, did some stuff on libraries, so have some experience there

George: the a11y on Open Education Resources (OER) is super important

<tzviya> OER= open education resources

lrosenth: I strongly recommend to read the section about locations, that is probably very related to your concerns
... also: this is not about just books, we should make something that works for any kind of publication
... magazines, christmas card, ...

boris_: I totally agree

tzviya: [adjourn]
... happy writing!

<garth> Thanks Tzviya!

<ivan> trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/08/02 09:43:14 $