Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference

03 May 2016

See also: IRC log


Joseph_Scheuhammer, Joanmarie_Diggs, Bryan_Garaventa, Cynthia_Shelly


<clown> agenda: this

<scribe> scribe: joanie

Administration: Joseph away for the next two weeks -- meeting?

JS: I'm not here for the next two weeks.
... If you want to meet, you can do so.
... Is there any interest in meeting?

BG: I don't think it would be especially productive.

JS: Rich is driven since he wants to get ARIA 1.1 out.
... Do you want to chair, Cynthia? :)

CS: I'm pretty busy these days.

JS: So I'll send out an email saying no meeting the next two weeks.
... If you change your mind, contact Michael to set up WebEx.
... So the next meeting will be on May 24th.

ACTION-2043 (Joseph/Cynthia) Review UIA mapping of role="status".

<clown> action-2043?

<trackbot> action-2043 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Modify UIA mapping of role="status" -- due 2016-03-28 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2043

JS: This has gone through one set of reviews.

CS: Didn't we talk about this last week?

JS: We talked about it two weeks ago.
... Cynthia wanted to make the localized control type be status.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#role-map-status

JS: I made that change.
... The URL above has the update.

<clown> • Control Type: Group

<clown> • Localized Control Type: status

<clown> • LiveSettingProperty = Polite (1)

JS: I'll copy the full text (above)

JD: We need to do something similar for ATK and IA2 I bet.

CS: This looks fine for my platform.

JS: I think there's an issue in github for this.

CS: Yes, I opened one.

JS: We'll wait until things settle down to have that discussion.
... I will close action-2043.

ISSUE-1025/ACTION-2054 (All) Reminder re: mappings for new values of aria-haspopup.

<clown> action-2054?

<trackbot> action-2054 -- Matthew King to Expand aria-haspopup to support a token list of values -- due 2016-04-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2054

JS: I know that Matt King has put forth a proposal for aria-haspopup.
... I think it's reached CfC.

CS: It has.

<clown> issue-540

<trackbot> issue-540 -- Should the UAIG have a section to describe the API differences -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/540

JS: I think on Thursday it will go through.
... So we'll need mappings.

<clown> issue-1025

<trackbot> issue-1025 -- Drive mappings of the new enumerated type values for aria-haspopup -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/1025

<clown> action-1026

<trackbot> Sorry, but action-1026 does not exist.

<clown> action-2056

<trackbot> action-2056 -- Richard Schwerdtfeger to Coordinate the mappings for the various AAPIs of the enumerated aria-haspopup values -- due 2016-05-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2056

JS: Rich has an action to coordinate the mappings for this.
... He'll be contacting you.
... So it's a reminder.

CS: I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have anywhere to map it.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#ariaHaspopupTrue

JS: Not even in ARIA properties?

CS: It will be in ARIA properties, but that's not a real mapping.
... What we do now is use the expand/collapse pattern.
... I'll keep looking.

JS: I wonder what AXAPI is going to do.
... I think ATK and MSAA will use the object attribute technique.

JD: Confirmed.

ACTION-1569 (Cynthia/Jason/Joseph) Section that describes AAPI differences -- latest suggestions from Jason.

<clown> action-1569?

<trackbot> action-1569 -- Cynthia Shelly to Create a section that describes AAPI differences -- due 2016-05-03 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1569

JS: I had sent email to Jason Kiss a while back about the API differences section.
... He replied that he has some minor suggestions for the UIA content, which Cynthia wrote.
... I forwarded Cynthia the email.

<clown> Fwd: Re: Section of Core-AAM that describes AAPI differences (ACTION-1569)

JS: Essentially, he wants to capitalize some technical terms.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#uia

CS: That's fine.

JS: Special font or just capitalized?
... Capitalized is fine.
... I will try to do this by the end of the week so we can close this out.
... If I make this change, can I just close the action?

CS: Yes.

ACTION-1409 (Joanie) Quick checkin: Add group position interface to ATK/AT-SPI.

JD: Thanks for the ping. :)

<clown> action-1409?

<trackbot> action-1409 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Monitor progress of bug against atk in gnome's bugzilla requesting new position, level, and other api be added (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727453) -- due 2016-04-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1409

ACTION-1668 (All) Use IA2_ROLE_LANDMARK and ROLE_LANDMARK (ATK) for role="form".

<clown> action-1668?

<trackbot> action-1668 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Add a ia2_role_landmark to ia2. this will tell ats to look at the xml-roles value for landmarks -- due 2015-07-07 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1668

JS: I have a question about this one.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#role-map-form

JS: Rich had a dialog with Alex about the IA2 mapping of the role form.
... Alex accepted mapping it as a landmark.
... And use the xml-roles object attribute.
... This makes the mapping consistent with the other landmarks.
... So I've done it. I think I can close it now.
... Last week we discussed whether the WebAim folks thought the form element should be treated as a landmark.
... One other thing I've done is because the landmark roles have all changed drastically, I've put an ARIA 1.1 tag by each landmark.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#role-map-banner

JS: For instance, if you look at banner (above), you'll see the ARIA 1.1 tag.
... I think we'll need to test the landmark roles for 1.1 due to the changes.
... And this tag will help me find them.
... Any objections?

Group: None.

JS: It doesn't mean the role was introduced in 1.1; just that we need to retest.

<clown> action-1668

<trackbot> action-1668 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Add a ia2_role_landmark to ia2. this will tell ats to look at the xml-roles value for landmarks -- due 2015-07-07 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1668

JS: Can I now close this action?

JD: Was the mapping of ATK made consistent with IA2?

<clown> ROLE_LANDMARK + object attribute xml-roles:form

JS: Yes. It's above.
... Hearing no objections to closing this action....
... Closed.

Triage actions: https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/products/23 (start with ACTION-1409)

JS: Triage!

<clown> action-980?

<trackbot> action-980 -- Cynthia Shelly to Describe/define managed aria related states: aria-setsize, aria-posinset, aria-level, focused, focusable with reference to section 5.5 bullet 1 of the UAIG. -- due 2016-05-03 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/980

JS: A new one (action-980).
... Cynthia, this is the section that describes and defines managed states.

CS: Give me another two weeks.


<trackbot> action-1533 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Investigate and possibly create a minimal/skeleton javascript at-spi2 listener with the aim of automating the 1.1 tests. -- due 2016-03-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1533

<clown> action-1533?

<trackbot> action-1533 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Investigate and possibly create a minimal/skeleton javascript at-spi2 listener with the aim of automating the 1.1 tests. -- due 2016-03-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1533

JS: So, Joanie, how's this coming?

JD: I'm busy this week, but plan to start on it next week.
... Extend two weeks please.

CS: Were you going to look at IA2 and Mac as well?

JD: Not entirely sure yet. I need to start with my platform first, of course. But I'll try.

<clown> action-1593

<trackbot> action-1593 -- Cynthia Shelly to Compare implementations of AAPI managed states and look for gaps. -- due 2016-05-03 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1593

<clown> issue-706

<trackbot> issue-706 -- Describe/define AAPI managed states -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/706

CS: This seems like a duplicate of the earlier managed-states action.
... There may have originally been a distinction, but I don't recall what it is.

JS: I'll close this one out as a duplicate then.
... The other one is action-980, right?
... Yes.

<clown> action-1681?

<trackbot> action-1681 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Propose new wording, as an editorial change only to clarify the inclusion rules in section 5.1.2 -- due 2016-04-12 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1681

JS: I've been trying to do this.
... I've started, but not finished.
... I hope to be finished by the end of the week.
... I'm glad I have Rich's section to point to, but Matt has raised some issues.
... So I'm going to postpone it for three weeks (one week after I get back).

<clown> action-1686

<trackbot> action-1686 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Drive mapping of aria-errormessage to aapis -- due 2015-07-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1686

JS: We have a bunch of errormessage actions.

<clown> action-1692

<trackbot> action-1692 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Propose ATK/AT-SPI mapping for aria-errormessage -- due 2015-08-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1692

JD: Aren't we stalled on this?
... I had proposed new relation types.
... But then in subsequent discussion, things seemed to have stalled.
... This is on the IA2 list.

JS: It's also on the ARIA list.
... The most recent discussion was in April.

<clown> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Apr/0132.html

JS: I think it's the message at the above URL.
... (Reads from message)

CS: I can talk about how we do our error messages which are built into the browser.
... We have a separate accessible object and a controller-for.
... And the message is exposed through the help text.
... So it's both a linked-to object and a descriptive string.
... Help text is whatever is in the tooltip.

JS: I don't see a UIA action for errormessage.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#ariaErrorMessage

JS: Maybe we completed it.
... Yes, the mapping for UIA is above.

<clown> UIA aria-errormessage mapping: "Expose pointer to the target accessible object using ControllerFor property."

JD: Should the mapping include exposing the string via your help text attribute?

CS: I'm ok with it being a SHOULD; not a MUST.

JS: Do you want to add anything to the UIA mapping, or leave it as it is?

CS: I'm fine with leaving it as it is.

JS: I guess we're stuck with the other platforms.

<clown> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#ariaControls

JD: I think ATK is blocked on IA2's mapping because a number of people want ATK and IA2 to be parallel whenever possible.

Group: Discusses and reads specs and API docs on "controls" and "controller".

JD + JS: This seems like controls/controller do not quite fit here.

JD: We can propose this to Jamie, but I don't think he'll embrace this mapping.

JS: Should we bring this up to the group on Thursday first?

JD: Fine with me.

JS: I'll leave these items as red so they come up next time.

<clown> action-1695

<trackbot> action-1695 -- Cynthia Shelly to Propose UIA mapping for aria-kbdshortcuts -- due 2016-03-08 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1695

CS: I did this a while ago.

JS: (Reads from action)
... So what is the mapping if I were to write it out?

CS: AcceleratorKey is the best mapping for now.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/05/03 20:05:00 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/You wanted/Cynthia wanted/
Succeeded: s/firest/first/
Found embedded ScribeOptions:  -final


Found Scribe: joanie
Inferring ScribeNick: joanie
Default Present: Joseph_Scheuhammer, Joanmarie_Diggs, Bryan_Garaventa, Cynthia_Shelly
Present: Joseph_Scheuhammer Joanmarie_Diggs Bryan_Garaventa Cynthia_Shelly
Regrets: Richard_Schwerdtfeger
Found Date: 03 May 2016
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]