Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

06 Jan 2016


See also: IRC log


Joanmarie_Diggs, JF, Janina, LJWatson, Michiel_Bijl, MichaelC, matt_king, Katie, Haritos-Shea
Rich, Shane


preview agenda with items from two minutes

<scribe> scribe: MichielBijl

JS: We've gotten off to a good start this year!

JF: Wilco and Marcy will be joining Deque this year!

MC: Working on the tracker migration.
... Hopefully migrate tomorrow

APA Housekeeping http://www.w3.org/2015/10/apa-charter.html

JS: Expecting some new members (formally)
... Old mail list will bounce
... Propose we keep the Webex title the same (means we can keep the same Webex code)

MC: Might split

JS: Tracker has higher priority
... Might confuse new members
... If we have to explain this too often we might change it

Draft APA Decision Policy http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy

JS: Differences n PF we had 48 hours for CfC
... We tried to make that longer
... Second change from PF, applies more to ARIA WG, teleconfrence are important parts of how the group functions

LW: If a resolution is proposed on a call, will we expect people to read the minutes for the CfC resolution??

JS: We will make a note of it when we push the minutes
... For this to work it needs to be fair
... Need to make it explicit in the e-mail

<Zakim> cyns, you wanted to say it would be good to have a separate email that lists all the cfcs. Don't want to have to dig through minutes.

<LJWatson> +1 to Cyns

JS: Something like: Not just minutes, also includes CfC

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask if Zakim could be modified to auto-generate an email with CfC's

CS: I don't want to read all the minutes

JF: Can it be automated?

MC: If you type "resolution:" the scribe script takes action
... Think they're also placed at the bottom of the minutes
... We would need to look into it

JF: Yeah I'd love to read all the minutes, I don't get to attend all the calls or can read all the minutes

LW: What if we have multiple CfC's in the same minutes?
... That'll make it near to impossible to follow

JF: Good point

MB: What is the reason for this proposed change?

MC: Administrative overhead, but maybe that's the way it needs to be
... It might not be hard to automate it

JF: Can we find out?

MC: Yes

LW: I don't mind volunteering until we have a automated solution

JS: Michael, do you want an action for this?

MC: Not necessary

<MichaelC> PF Resolutions in Tracker

*discussion about dates on the tracker*

MC: If we get CfC mails automated, can we get people trained to reply to those automated e-mails?

JF: Can we test this on this call?

JS: Let's handle one problem at a time

JF: next item?

JS: We have more to discuss, but let's move forward

Actions Review (Specs) http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/open

MC: James set a couple of his actions to "pending review"

JS: Can we bounce e-mails to PF to the APA list?

MC: Let me see
... Splash screens are sometimes used to inform users on how to use an application

JS: Sounds worthy to me, anybody?

MC: James also send editorial comments (accessibility related)
... Might want to send them to the group non the less

<MichaelC> http://www.w3.org/mid/E1YnUr0-000GJq-1x%2540deneb.w3.org

JS: If there is no objection we have consensus

<MichaelC> close action-1648

<trackbot> Closed action-1648.

JS: Thank you James
... Let's take it up now
... I think it's more than enough guidens on what a good description looks like

<mck> action-1763?

<trackbot> Sorry, but action-1763 does not exist.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1763

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jan/0014.html

JS: My proposal is that I just forward that to MSE
... Currently accepted mechanism include longdesc

MC: What jumps out at me is that it describes colour and shape information
... I think there are formal names for all the symbols
... Arguments, colour and shape can help discussing with a colleague

JF: That's why I include it

JS: I think we can offer to help and refine it

JF: I was on the fore front of the discussion of longdesc
... This image needs a long description

JS: Saying W3C has formally accepted longdesc might help

<jamesn> +1 to JF - lets state the issue not the solution

JF: That might stir up Cupertino
... Let's state the issue, not the solution
... We made our point

<cyns> +1 to john

LW: We're not going to include every possible way

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MC: Not seeing anything jumping out that we need to look at

JS: One thing we need to care about is the screen API
... That you can lock it portrait/landscape

<MichaelC> The Screen Orientation API

Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jan/0007.html

JS: fantasai has been working on a new TR design
... We've had comments in the past (colour contrast etc)

JF: I think it is good overall
... One of the things they did, they reduced the contrast for anchors
... They want to make it very readable
... They are trying to improve the readability if you have sentence with a lot of links
... They use a darker grey as underline
... WCAG does not state underlines should meet colour contrast requirements
... fantasai has tweaked it a little bit

MK: I'm really wondering why you would consider the underline as part of the text

<JF> SAmple layout is here: http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/sample

JF: Asked a group member with low vision if the underline was clear, he said no

CS: They need to do user testing

MB: Agree

JS: We need to stop
... Please take a look online
... We'll need to continue this on-list

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/01/06 18:04:15 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/JS/JS: We tried to make that longer/
Succeeded: s/CfC/CfC resolution?/
Succeeded: s/those/e-mails to PF/
Succeeded: s/??/MSE/
Succeeded: s/it describes colour/it describes colour and shape information/
Succeeded: s/TZ/CS/
Found Scribe: MichielBijl
Inferring ScribeNick: MichielBijl
Present: Joanmarie_Diggs JF Janina LJWatson Michiel_Bijl MichaelC matt_king Katie Haritos-Shea
Regrets: Rich Shane
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2016Jan/0008.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 06 Jan 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/01/06-apa-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]