Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference

19 Aug 2015

See also: IRC log


janina, fred, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, Rich, Katie, Tzviya_Siegman
Katie Haritos-Shea, fesch


<trackbot> Date: 19 August 2015

preview agenda with items from two minutes

<scribe> Scribe: Katie Haritos-Shea

<scribe> ScribeNick: Ryladog

<scribe> Meeting: PF Teleconference

MC: I will not be able to be in most meeting s next week - becasue of W3C staff break
... Geek Week

SJ: Where is the ARIA Test Harness?

RS: Spec Review Tracker? Cant recall

SJ: We need to track our tech reviews

<MichaelC> Accessibility Coordination Matrix

JS: We make a matrix, Micheal has made good progress on it

MC: It was a starting poit - but I would like to create DB tool to track
... That is the tool I wanted to work on during Geek Week next week

RS: So you can start the Test Harness after that?

MC; Maybe is a week, it might not take as much focus - it exists - I just need to find it

JS: And other W3C members who could help would be in Geel Week too
... Should we skip next Wed?

RESOLUTION: Next week we will be off for vacation

JS: Task Force will still meet

Actions Review (Specs) http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/open

MC: 1685, and 1689 forr Janina

<MichaelC> action-1669 due 2 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-1669 Look at data on the web best practices http://www.w3.org/tr/dwbp/ due date to 2015-09-02.

MC: Katie 1669 not ready open for 2 more week

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MC: I think we are clear on new publications this week


<MichaelC> WebAssembly Community Group

MC We have 3. Web Assembly - a form of pre-compiled JS so it runs faster - but not much activity there. I am not sure there would be much accessibility

JS: Lets not care, we decided before

<MichaelC> Browser Extension Community Group

MC: Second CG is, Browser Extension CG - standarized extension package - 2 message on the list - no chairs - probably dead

JS: Yes dead

<MichaelC> Automotive Ontology Community Group

MC: It would fill a need - too bad
... Lat Automotive Oncology CG - share data structures in Automotive. Mailing list is reasonably active

JS: We will need to follow this - and will speak with driverless at TPAC for a possible future DUAR - we should

MC; I am not clear enough - I think we would have interest - I wwill move it to the Actively TRacked Group

Community Groups http://www.w3.org/community/groups/

Rechartering Progress

MC: No news?
... The PF is extended until Oct 15th or so

RS: Why not SEpt?

MC: It is based on how many objections were issued. This is their estimates

JS: Judy is trying to resolve the 3 against APA and the 2 against the Charter

TPAC 2013 Update

JS: Who is comiing?


<joanie> I am coming

<scribe> Done both registration and hotel

JS: ARIA is MOn Tues. We may trade some of it. APA side will be Thursday Friday. We will balance it
... It is all called

MC: Alex is not listed yet

JS: It would be good if Mozilla would send him
... How wide a dpub participation are you expecting.

MC: about 12 are registered and that doesnt include TZVIGA

Decision Policy Draft http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy

JS: We talked about it last week. The big criticism it was not clear what would require us t go through a CFC. We use RESOLUTION but we typically do not take those to a CFC. What do we need to do for poeple who are not able to be on call
... Micheal has a suggestion.
... We write into the decsion policy a standard blurb about anything you have a certain number of ways to object. We would still have to write this langauge
... If we do go this way we can still formalize or go back
... It is standard procedure - you can still object - but you need to read our standard policies

<MichaelC> proposed: In order to minimize bureaucracy, announcement of teleconference minutes invokes an automatic Call for Consensus with a seven-day response period on all items logged as resolutions in the minutes.

TZVIYA: When you send out the invite, can we add a note that there is a RESOLUTION

MC: We may need to change our minutes policy we may need to have the chair send out the minutes and add that there is a Resolution in the mintes

JS: We want a 7 calendar day timeline

Draft APA Home Page http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/

JS; Lets put this back on the agenda and talk about it later

MC: I do not want to have that fight today

JS: Do you want to load the comments from last week?

MC: Let me find tham
... I thinke evrything else was

ARIA.Next Items

JS: We had a lot of publishing participation. Apple showed up in force

RS: It is nice to know that they could make the meeting. The one point is around DETAILS I thinnk it is a good solution - it is implemented in 2 brpwsersa nd Apple supports it. You can put and iFrame in details and put a link in there
... So it can help anybody - the compalints about ARUA describedat is almost solved if we can get Edge and FF - then we need a vechle to show/hide - maybe with CSS via MQ
... James supported adding this to the OS - DETALS could have a more powerful solution than describedat - we need the browser support.
... The facct that you cn do all that makes me surprised that there was such pushback and formal objection to longdesc.

JS: I asked the ePUB people what do you do when the network is down?

TZVIYA: I am surprised. You can ask that question about any link. Every book that I have ever published has a link in it
... Every book and even pbooks have links

JS: Todays books have links and it reads through - you aree supposed to rememebr all that?

TZVIYA: In Dpub we are talking about a package of some kind

JS: If you can pre-fetch

RS: Is there anyway you can store.embed that in a digital book?

TZVIYA: We are working on it

<fesch> scribe: fesch

js: I think I know way Rich likes details as it gives a path that describedat doesn't
... details may end up being consensus because everyone can live with it
... details would be an interim solution
... the attraction is what we want in describedat is already in details

mc: it may overload the details element, may have different presentation, the overloading may be a concern, adding role may help

rs: what is hackish to you?

mc: details was intended for another purpose, if used for other purposes may confuse users, addition attributes may help but may open new problems

js: but they are kind of stuck since you can use an iframe

mc: I have these concerns

tzviya: if you look at the objections, not being able to distinguish what is what is an issue and some may be what is included

rs: but what you are talking about is metadata which you can create with aria semantics
... and you could do that in the dpub group

js: and you may want the roles for describedat

tzviya: I think we are all saying the same thing

js: when I hear about chartML we really want to be able to do have multiple outputs...
... so if it goes to a php the meta data tells it what is available - whether it is describedat or details
... looks like we are looking for away to get more elaborate

rs: details has the plumbing - and it can get rendered - so if all we need to do is add some semantics and css to make it visible, we can handle it

tzviya: timeline needed on extended description analysis

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/08/19 17:13:07 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/standad/standard/
Succeeded: s/plocy/policy/
Succeeded: s/neeed/need/
Succeeded: s/numbr/number/
Found Scribe: Katie Haritos-Shea
Found ScribeNick: Ryladog
Found Scribe: fesch
Inferring ScribeNick: fesch
Scribes: Katie Haritos-Shea, fesch
ScribeNicks: Ryladog, fesch
Present: janina fred Joanmarie_Diggs MichaelC Rich Katie Tzviya_Siegman

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 19 Aug 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/08/19-pf-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]